Chimney Liner Crisis!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That sounds like a promising company to deal with.

And as always I'd heed Bhollers advice and have a real good look and get proper measurements before winding up ordering up something that won't fit. I only had 6" width and my duraliner went down even with the first piece being flex with a insulation wrap on it. But it was tight and my clay liners were nice and straight. But my flue was half the length of yours too.

Yeah that’s a good point. Shortly after posting my above declaration I actually called a local company that was very educated and down to earth and they basically have volunteered to come take a free estimate and said if they can fit insulated oval down, they’ll charge me between $800-$1000 for full install.. now that would be a deal

Just remember you did the smart thing by coming here and doing your own research, so make sure this company details everything in writing, manufacture of pipe and all components and labor, don't commit to the deal until you come back here and verify with the senior members that your not being sold cheep pipe or getting a hack install. Just because a company is in business doesn't mean they do things correctly, a lot of companies sell cheep material just to give a low bid to get the job.

Reactions: Squisher
alrighty guys... think I'm gonna go for the duraliner setup. I am going to call around and see if I can get any pro's around town to do the install, but so far it seems no one has even heard of duraliner pre-insulated rigid oval(we're in central VA)... Ideally, I would be able to do the install myself, but I think it's pretty clear here I'm over my head on that one. I actually called my insurance company but they wouldn't budge on making this into a claim <> Here goes nothin.

The only circumstance that the insurance company would likely cover is if the flue is inspected and found to be damaged from a flue fire. Assuming of course that you've owned the property long enough and had used the fireplace.

It seems the only options are removing the clay tiles or going oval. I would go oval, but removing the clay tiles isn't rocket science either. The obvious advantage there is you can have a 6" round liner, which is probably a lot easier to clean. Certainly a tough decision to make. If I had to make that kind of call, I would remove the clay liners so I could run a 6" round. If you cant do it, I would think most home improvement guys either know how, or know a chimney sweep that can.
For the record, my particular SS liner says it doesn't require insulation IF the chimney clay liners are in good shape and up to code. They were in amazing shape, and the building inspector signed off on it so I am running mine without insulation. In about 4 hours from this post I am going to take the stove apart and look up the chimney liner. If it looks bad, I will insulate it this summer.
I run my Drolet 1800i 24 hours a day but its really warm out so this is an ideal day to do a mid season inspection.

But as bholler has pointed out numerous times. The largest determining factor for whether insulation is required is whether the proper clearances to combustibles are met on the outside of the chimney. So yes the existing clay liners have to be intact and continuous. Also the chimney needs to be of proper construction and you need 1"clearance to combustibles on the outside of it for exterior and 2"s for interior. If you don't have that or can't confirm it then insulation is required even if the existing chimney is in good shape. This is not because there is a great risk during normal burning, this is to protect you and your home for the worst case scenario, a chimney fire.

Oval liners are easily swept with rotary cleaning equipment.

A whole other question but just as important... I was originally planning on putting in a Vogelzang Colonial but is it worth an extra $250 to get the century cw2900 for the bigger firebox? I can still easily return the Vogelzang

I was originally planning on putting in a Vogelzang Colonial but is it worth an extra $250 to get the century cw2900 for the bigger firebox?
Yes, larger and better build quality/customer service...no brainer IMO.

Hey guys... figured I'd hop back in here to update you. I've returned the Vogelzang and have the Century CW2900 on the way. The Chimney sweep came out today and gave me an estimate for running an ovalized flex with an insulated blanket down into the stove, here is what he is charging and I'd love if you guys would chime in and tell me how you feel about the fairness of the price.
1- Homesaver 304 SS liner
1- Insulation wrap
1-Appliance connector
1-9x18 top plate
1-9x18 cap
1-Building permit fee (required)

Total including labor and install: $2,063

$800 to $1000 now $2063 that went up fast==c others with an experienced opinion will be along shortly.