Chimney Liner Crisis!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
With only 6.25 you cannot get 6" round duraline through, its to big, your only option is the oval, breaking out the liner would be another added cost so your not saving any money.

Here is a direct link to duraliner, click the tab that says literature at the bottom and download the parts manual and the installation instructions, it will give you a bigger picture.

http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=6

Last edited:
The chimney sweep went up and took that measurement.. and yes he mentioned mortar joints. What was your solution?

My stove has an 8" flue, and they ran 6" round duraliner, my masonary liner is 10 x 14 but with the Mortar joints it's 9x13 so if I wanted to run an 8 " round duraliner it would be very tight with 9" opening with the Mortar joints being uneven, so my only option is 8" oval or buy a stove with a 6" flue and reuse my existing pipe. If you think 6" oval is expensive 8" is wow.

Last edited:
Again you dont have to use duraliner. You can use an ovalized flex liner that you insulate your self. It doesnt cost near as much. You could also call around to local sweeps and see if anyone has an ovalizer. We have run liners through our for people for $50 if they bring it to us.

Reactions: brenndatomu
Again you dont have to use duraliner. You can use an ovalized flex liner that you insulate your self. It doesnt cost near as much. You could also call around to local sweeps and see if anyone has an ovalizer. We have run liners through our for people for $50 if they bring it to us.

Would he be better with oval or rectangle what would fit better?

https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/oval-chimney-liner-liner-only.php

https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.com/rectangle-chimney-liner-liner-only.php

Wouldn't you gain more clearance putting a rectangle liner in a rectangle flue then an oval in a rectangle flue?
Not needed there is plenty of room for a properly sized oval. And the corners of the rectangle are usless space anyway all they do is create more turbulence.

Reactions: Mark8
Not needed there is plenty of room for a properly sized oval. And the corners of the rectangle are usless space anyway all they do is create more turbulence.

So how do you get the liner and insulation and wire mesh through the flue without it hanging up on every jagged Mortar joint?

So how do you get the liner and insulation and wire mesh through the flue without it hanging up on every jagged Mortar joint?
If the mortar is hanging out bad you knock it off either with rotary chains or a chisel pn the end of rods. And it dorsnt have to be that smooth the mesh doesnt get caught that easily.

If the mortar is hanging out bad you knock it off either with rotary chains or a chisel pn the end of rods. And it dorsnt have to be that smooth the mesh doesnt get caught that easily.
Could I theoretically ovalize the whole pipe, stuff it down the flue, then de-ovalize the bottom part to connect to the stove?

Could I theoretically ovalize the whole pipe, stuff it down the flue, then de-ovalize the bottom part to connect to the stove?
Yes or ovalize all but the bottom and pull it up. Either way works fine

I paid big bucks to join this forum I better get my money's worth ;lol;lol
I dont really think clearing rough spots is that valuable of a trade secret. Lol

So I'm just going to keep throwing 'what if's' out there....

What if I ordered an ordinary 6" round SS liner, had it ovalized to 5" width, then (assuming that wrapped insulation would likely make it too bulky to fit) just pouring some vermiculite down. Wouldn't that not only work, but probably save me $500-600?

So I'm just going to keep throwing 'what if's' out there....

What if I ordered an ordinary 6" round SS liner, had it ovalized to 5" width, then (assuming that wrapped insulation would likely make it too bulky to fit) just pouring some vermiculite down. Wouldn't that not only work, but probably save me $500-600?

That sounds like a good idea, I'm wondering how you keep the liner centered in the Flue why your pouring the vermiculite down so the oval liner does not get pushed against the side loosing your 1" fire clearance.

Maybe you could use spacers something like this.

IMG_1878.PNG

That sounds like a good idea, I'm wondering how you keep the liner centered in the Flue why your pouring the vermiculite down so the oval liner does not get pushed against the side loosing your 1" fire clearance.

Maybe you could use spacers something like this.

View attachment 220403
I'm sure there are some dudes on here that have good advice on this, but I'd assume having a buddy hold on to it while you pour would be sufficient as they could probably shake it in to place while the insulation settles.

I'm wondering how you keep the liner centered in the Flue why your pouring the vermiculite down so the oval liner does not get pushed against the side loosing your 1" fire clearance.
That's the issue...that and its really messy!
Buy a standard liner and insulation, have it ovalized (IMO) or you could fab something up to DIY ovalize it...I seen a few Youtube vids of that...not sure how hard it is to do really...probably like most things, 1001 ways to screw it up! ;lol

I'm sure there are some dudes on here that have good advice on this, but I'd assume having a buddy hold on to it while you pour would be sufficient as they could probably shake it in to place while the insulation settles.
You actually need more room to properly use pour in insulation for a wood liner. Just either order an ovalized liner or find someone local with an ovalizer and order round. It should be 4.5 or 4.75 wide. Ant to msintain volume you will probably have to go up to a 7" liner.

Just as bholler mentioned
Taking a 6" liner and reducing it, takes it below 28 sq in area which a 6" round liner has.
A 6.5" round liner will ovalize to 5" x 8.15" (28.22 sq in) but when you reform it back to round you have 6.5" not 6"

Pouring Vermiculite down and trying to keep the liner centered is pretty challenging, the only centering device I have seen is made by http://www.firesafeinc.com/products/cis

Reactions: Rich L
You actually need more room to properly use pour in insulation for a wood liner. Just either order an ovalized liner or find someone local with an ovalizer and order round. It should be 4.5 or 4.75 wide. Ant to msintain volume you will probably have to go up to a 7" liner.

I took geometry in Junior high and I'm wondering how you think making a round into a oval would change the volume? Am I missing something.

Last edited:
I took geometry in Junior high and I'm wondering how you think making a round into a oval wound would change the volume? Am I missing something.
Golly gee... I am a frugal 20 something... but all this is really steering me towards just pulling the trigger on the ovalized rigid duraliner :confused:

Smoke and gases travel up in in a circular pattern, that is why a Round liner gives you the best draft, Oval is the next best, and with Square and Rectangle liners you loose a lot of that area in the corners.