Chimney Liner Crisis!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good question, who would you call for an estimate. Does this type of work fall under chimney sweep.

Any one know.
Yes it does who else would do it

In these parts many stove shops install but don't sweep at all. No one in my area that I know of ever breaksout tiles except for one Mason.

I am taking a course in the spring on breaking out tiles. I've had no way of learning to do it so I don't offer it yet, but hopefully will be confident with it after the course. It's tough to make a go of installing in a proper manner here. Most places are quoting for a uninsulated liner that they are probably going to crush/kink through a damper area. So a proper install is always going to be more expensive. Educating the customer is key.

Reactions: bholler
I'm just guessing here from a construction standpoint, wouldn't removing the clay liner severely weaken a chimney, all that pounding to remove it.

Elisurfer4, it wouldn't hurt to call some chimney sweeps and see what they charge, at least you can report back and let us know for our own knowledge even if that's not the way you go.

I'm just guessing here from a construction standpoint, wouldn't removing the clay liner severely weaken a chimney, all that pounding to remove it.

Elisurfer4, it wouldn't hurt to call some chimney sweeps and see what they charge, at least you can report back and let us know for our own knowledge even if that's not the way you go.
Nope not if the chimney is a good candidate for removal. It really doesnt take much pounding at all.

If the coin isn't there this winter for your install then save up for an install before next burn season and in the mean time process as much firewood as you can. A beautiful new stove is only an ornament if you don't have the fuel to put in it.

Reactions: brenndatomu
If the coin isn't there this winter for your install then save up for an install before next burn season and in the mean time process as much firewood as you can. A beautiful new stove is only an ornament if you don't have the fuel to put in it.
I’ve got a bout a cord on hand right now.. but that’s definitely a thought. I just feel like I’m SO close to being set up considering the stove is in my car currently haha, but I was not anticipating the hang up on the liner end.

Oval insulated duraliner will fit those dimensions as described. It comes in solid and flexible sections for getting through the damper. The flex sections will need a insulation wrap. And various oval to round adaptors. I've used it on my own insert and it's high quality and works flawlessly. It's also handy if your chimney as short as you can extend out the top up to a length(no exposed connections). It's not cheap but it's high quality(IMO) insulated pipe, offering great performance and safety.

View attachment 220267 View attachment 220268 View attachment 220269 View attachment 220270

Just coming back to this as I’m considering this exact install... what is that cap piece that you used?

The oval extenda cap kit. From my pics a bit back you can see how far I extended my last piece of rigid liner. I did so because I was short on height and I feel that was a big plus of the duraliner. It allowed me to extend my chimney a couple of feet very easily.

I'm not sure now where or if this is the thread I recently posted a cap pic so here it is.

The duraliner is obviously the one on the left.

IMG_1503.JPG

I think that's the only option for oval but certainly worth asking whoever you're getting it from.

I don't no where your getting your pricing for the Duraliner but they gave me this online retailer Build.com maybe someone already mentioned it. Build.com search will take some of the Duraliner part numbers but not all I discovered, but they can get all the parts if you call.

You got some great advice in this thread, no offense to all who helped but id put a lot of weight on what begreen and bholler's are telling you. You want to do this once a nd do it right.

Ahh. I believe all the caps are meant to be variable in height in regards to the rigid components chosen.

For the duraliner I see only the extenda cap and the twist lock cap. I think the extenda cap comes in oval or round and the twist lock cap is round only.

Reactions: Mark8
Ahh. I believe all the caps are meant to be variable in height in regards to the rigid components chosen.

For the duraliner I see only the extenda cap and the twist lock cap. I think the extenda cap comes in oval or round and the twist lock cap is round only.

This is exactly correct! Because your ridged pipe runs through the base plate so your length of pipe that's protruding through the base plate is what determines the cap height.

Last edited:
alrighty guys... think I'm gonna go for the duraliner setup. I am going to call around and see if I can get any pro's around town to do the install, but so far it seems no one has even heard of duraliner pre-insulated rigid oval(we're in central VA)... Ideally, I would be able to do the install myself, but I think it's pretty clear here I'm over my head on that one. I actually called my insurance company but they wouldn't budge on making this into a claim <> Here goes nothin.

Hope all goes well, best wishes to you your wife and your new house and a warm fire place.

If you go to the Duravent website I gave you, call customer service under contacts and ask them to refer you to a dealer in your area and they can refer you to an installer, just make sure you tell them it's there Duraliner product and it's for a wood burning appliance.

Last edited:
alrighty guys... think I'm gonna go for the duraliner setup. I am going to call around and see if I can get any pro's around town to do the install, but so far it seems no one has even heard of duraliner pre-insulated rigid oval(we're in central VA)... Ideally, I would be able to do the install myself, but I think it's pretty clear here I'm over my head on that one. I actually called my insurance company but they wouldn't budge on making this into a claim <> Here goes nothin.
You really need to get up there and make sure your clay liners are straight with no major offsets before commiting to rigid. It doesnt take much of an offset to make a rigid install go bad.

Reactions: Mark8
duravent oval ridged is only 4 3/4" x 7 3/4". But certainly have a look and re-measure before shelling out.

duravent oval ridged is only 4 3/4" x 7 3/4". But certainly have a look and re-measure before shelling out.
Yes but at that dimension the flue still needs to be pretty straight.

Reactions: Squisher
You really need to get up there and make sure your clay liners are straight with no major offsets before commiting to rigid. It doesnt take much of an offset to make a rigid install go bad.
Yeah that’s a good point. Shortly after posting my above declaration I actually called a local company that was very educated and down to earth and they basically have volunteered to come take a free estimate and said if they can fit insulated oval down, they’ll charge me between $800-$1000 for full install.. now that would be a deal

Reactions: brenndatomu