chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sweitzzzz

Jul 17, 2017
wv
Hello long time lurker first time poster. I am brand new to wood burning and have yet to burn a log.

I picked up a naploen 1402 insert and and am unsure what type of pipe I need to install it into my fireplace. My chimney is ceramic lined and is wide enough to accommodate a 6 inch pipe. My question is what type of pipe do I need and does it have to be ran the entire way up the chimney?

Thanks in advance.

My question is what type of pipe do I need and does it have to be ran the entire way up the chimney?
it should be an insulated stainless liner either 304 or 316 grade. I prefer heavy wall liner but plain old light wall will work ok to. Just stay away from the 2 ply smooth wall stuff it is junk

it should be an insulated stainless liner either 304 or 316 grade. I prefer heavy wall liner but plain old light wall will work ok to. Just stay away from the 2 ply smooth wall stuff it is junk
Thanks for the quick response. Does the pipe have to go all the way to the top of the chimney? I'm getting conflicting answers.

Thanks for the quick response. Does the pipe have to go all the way to the top of the chimney? I'm getting conflicting answers.
Technically no it doesn't but you want it to it will work much better.

OK thanks. The insert I picked up is brand new. Is it necessary to burn a few fires in it outdoors to eliminate any chance of fumes?
it is not necessary but it will smell if you don't. it will probably smell a little even if you do you just wont get high enough temps without a full chimney on it to completely cure the paint

Cleaning is much easier lined to the top. Otherwise, you'll have to pull the insert every sweeping. Check out Duraliner rigid pre insulated double wall also.

Many here have used Rockford liner kits with good results. Get the insulation kit with it.

Yesterday I took a part of the damper out and popped out a brick to make enough room for the pipe. What can I use to fill in the excess space? Will some extra pipe insulation do the trick?

Attachments

• 20170728_090418.jpg
    20170728_090418.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 283
Yesterday I took a part of the damper out and popped out a brick to make enough room for the pipe. What can I use to fill in the excess space? Will some extra pipe insulation do the trick?
You will want to make a blockoff plate if you search for it here there is allot of info on it.

Bholler & bregreen nailed it, block off plate. Keep the heat in the room.

Bholler & bregreen nailed it, block off plate. Keep the heat in the room.
Guys thank you for your help. I built a block off plate out of some sheet metal and did a dry run connecting everything. I think I'm missing a piece that would mount directly on top of the stove. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20170802_183651.jpg
    20170802_183651.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 20170802_183644.jpg
    20170802_183644.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 271