Compressed logs in a Blaze King Princess

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TheIglu

Nov 17, 2008
Royalston, MA
Loving the new Princess Ultra I put in last month. It's exceeded my expectations by so much. My wife is tired of hearing me wax poetic about the thing. But she sure doesn't mind the "set it and forget it" ronco rotisserie aspect of it.

Unfortunately, with this 24/7 burning that it's ease of use has allowed compared to our old Harman TL-300, we aren't going to make it through the winter with what dry wood I already have. That and it seems as though winter started early here in New England this year.

Local to me is a Hearthwise manufacturing facility (https://www.hearthwise.com/home.html). I've done a lot of reading on here (similar to endless reading before buying the BK), and these logs are pretty well regarded. The flat bottom helps for stacking. I'd likely store them all in our basement.

Couple questions for the masses of those more in the know than I am:

1. Can I burn these in my new BK? No additives, so it looks to be cat safe. I would imagine I couldn't fill the stove completely with these for fear of over-firing, but wouldn't the automatic air control on the BK alleviate that concern?

2. Has anyone used these to augment their wood supply? I'm mostly thinking of tossing a couple in here and there to relieve the pace of burning of our normal wood, especially during the extreme cold snaps we inevitably get.

Sounds like another satisfied BK user.

I am not certain if those are safe to use but I would guess there is a fella here who can tell you. @BKVP should be able to shed some light on the topic.

I hope you have deep pockets! looks like roughly $13.50 to put a conservative load in my small 20 series stove. According to the dimensions provided in the website. Your Princess will gobble up much more to get a fill. Ouchy. Quite sure I could burn L.P. cheaper here.

It would be fun to try some as a experiment.

Never heard of them. Can you get me list of ingredients and binding materials?

They report that it is 100% recycled saw dust. Nothing else.

I believe I have posted this before. But here goes....

When the first manufactured fuels started appearing we sent out samples of each for testing.

Some samples results showed completely organic materials. One sample had results that hard very high levels of sodium. So when I contacted the manufacturer, they admitted they had little control over feedstock. When asked, could your supplier provide you drift wood, the response was "it's happened before."

Those reports are fun to look at. They showed results that while organic, were identifiable for the region where they are made. Example is hardwood trees grow slowly, so their root systems and therefore feedstock from those regions showed much higher mineral concentrations.

NEILS customers may notice a slick or shiny exterior. The results came back and when I contacted the owner he explained they use vegetable oil to lubricate the extruding machines.

Bottom line, without test results, it's hard to say as to whether or not they should be burned.

I think the timing of this topic is great. I'm part of a small group that will be participating in development of the Federal Reference Method for cordwood testing. Perhaps manufactured fuel providers should be required to have logs and bricks tested and results posted on the product packaging.

Hmmmm.....

Last edited:
Begreen has burned those I believe, they're basically the same as Neil's, I'm also supplementing this year due to my wood supply running low, I prefer to do a 50-50 mix with cord wood.

Reactions: TheIglu
Begreen has burned those I believe, they're basically the same as Neil's, I'm also supplementing this year due to my wood supply running low, I prefer to do a 50-50 mix with cord wood.
ADEC (Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation) commissioned a test when processed log were burned for emissions, then cord wood and then cord wood/processed logs mix. Guess which burned cleanest!

ADEC (Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation) commissioned a test when processed log were burned for emissions, then cord wood and then cord wood/processed logs mix. Guess which burned cleanest!
The combo?

Correct!

I know that sounds crazy, but has anybody thought to check with Blaze King as to their opinion? After all, they make the stove and would be expected to warrant any failures.

I know that sounds crazy, but has anybody thought to check with Blaze King as to their opinion? After all, they make the stove and would be expected to warrant any failures.
Blaze King has been consulted! You’ve got one of the top fellas already commenting in this thread! It’s one of the many reasons why the customer service from this company is hard to beat. :)

It seemed better to me which is why I was doing it but had no scientific evidence, I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Noob here. Ashford 25. Five burns with seasoned wood. Happy with the performance. Followed the discussion on NEILs. Any experience with "Green Mountain" firewood? Website claims safe for inserts, 100% hardwood sawdust. Any Ministers of Fire out there with experience/advice with this product in an Ashford or other BK? Thanks!

Noob here. Ashford 25. Five burns with seasoned wood. Happy with the performance. Followed the discussion on NEILs. Any experience with "Green Mountain" firewood? Website claims safe for inserts, 100% hardwood sawdust. Any Ministers of Fire out there with experience/advice with this product in an Ashford or other BK? Thanks!
If they’re dense and 100% wood, I’d definitely try them. I tried a few brands and most worked well. With a new product I’d suggest you start small with just a few logs. Make sure they burn as you expect and with full control.

Reactions: fao1989
As above. Carefully check that it's pure sawdust without binders, wax, other stuff.

Reactions: fao1989