Delivered logs , pricing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've done it before and yeah it's very effective. Its just a lot of extra saw time. I prefer the smaller stuff myself it's just easier on the body. Personal preference though. Noodling is a valid technique.
Agreed! Noodling that big crap is never preferable to tossing nice 16" rounds onto a splitter all day. Getting wood out of the big stuff is slower, and just makes you hurt more at the end of the day.

I used to cut at a friend's house, he had about 30 acres of very mature forest, lots of enormous oak and ash. We started this routine when he was in his late-60's, and continued into his late 70's, when he got sick and passed away. Anyway, I'd drop the trees and buck them into logs, he'd skid them out of the woods (often 1/4 mile distance up a dry creek bed) to his field, where we'd sort them for hauling or processing. I liked to leave all the nice stuff for him, since it was his property and I didn't want him to have to wrestle with the big stuff, which meant I ended up bringing home nearly all stupid big stuff.

I still get a kick out of dropping a real big tree, the type that makes a "thud" neighbors can feel inside their house from 300 yards away, when it hits the ground. Those rare standing-dead beasts that need a big bar on a big saw, especially if they have minimal canopy left on them. But there's no joy in processing them, after they hit the ground.

Reactions: NHWS
Around my way on average you will spend 80 to 100 per log length cord delivered.. This is all hardwoods. Many times its oak.. maple some cherry.. This would be from local tree service companies. Normally its call and they show up and drop off when there working in the area

Reactions: Ashful
I have never bought any wood. Always on craiglist or facebook and scrounge. I was looking to supplement this year because of bad knee. I just can't do as much. Getting quote for about 4 cords and length 4'-14'. Not sure type yet but I am only interested in hardwoods. Wondering what pricing is looking like out there. I know it may be regional as well. Thanks.

Last years deliveries were priced at 100 per cord. This is a price went "bye bye" at the end of the summer by almost everyone that sells.

The price was for logs; not cut and split stuff.

If you do get a truck load of logs, I hope you have a means for sawdust disposal as that stuff accumulates in a hurry!

Reactions: thewoodlands