DS Stoves 200-10 Ecomiser furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. The coal guys say the same thing but opposite. As far as the good wood stoves make crap coal stoves. What you want is a good coal stove that can burn wood. Thats what they say. Hmmmm guess I gotta take a chance on one way

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Does that include the Harman Stove System Solid Fuel (wood, coal) Fired Appliance for Residential Use? I thought it had a great reputation. Is that true?

Just to update. I went and looked at a dealer 45minutes from my house. I out a down payment on one. And it will be delivered next Thursday at my house.
They seem incredibly well built, they suggest you put a plate over the shaker grates for burning wood. That seems to be consistent with the newer drolet furnaces with solid bottoms. I suppose I could lay fire brick on the grate instead of the steel plate. And remove them for burning coal.

Many thanks for that good information. The Harman Stove System in my daughter's house here in Vermont has worked exceptionally well heating her entire house. But her two kids are now off to college, and since she is there by herself, I do not want her toting in the wood through this coming winter. And that means I'll now be selling it for her, and your very positive response will indeed be helpful, without my citing you directly in any way. So once again, many thanks. With one final question that just occurred to me. The SF 260 she has is going to be quite difficult to move. Do you have any idea at all about what it might weigh?

Just to update. I went and looked at a dealer 45minutes from my house. I out a down payment on one. And it will be delivered next Thursday at my house.
They seem incredibly well built, they suggest you put a plate over the shaker grates for burning wood. That seems to be consistent with the newer drolet furnaces with solid bottoms. I suppose I could lay fire brick on the grate instead of the steel plate. And remove them for burning coal.

I'm a little late to the party....but I have had the ecomiser since fall of 2012 and love it. The steel plate works very well. I tried the firebrick one year but they would move around too much when shaking the ash grate. My model is older and does not have the bimetal draft. I pretty much keep my draft spinners on the same setting all winter except when it's 30 below. Located in NW PA and bought mine from Cherry Stoves in OH. Very well built and as simple as it gets.

I'm a little late to the party....but I have had the ecomiser since fall of 2012 and love it. The steel plate works very well. I tried the firebrick one year but they would move around too much when shaking the ash grate. My model is older and does not have the bimetal draft. I pretty much keep my draft spinners on the same setting all winter except when it's 30 below. Located in NW PA and bought mine from Cherry Stoves in OH. Very well built and as simple as it gets.
I'm happy to hear that. Really helps me ease my mind.
Now I have a list of questions for you.
Are you burning wood or coal?
What do you notice for burn times?
Any issues you have had?

I'm happy to hear that. Really helps me ease my mind.
Now I have a list of questions for you.
Are you burning wood or coal?
What do you notice for burn times?
Any issues you have had?
I am burning wood, burnt coal part of one season when I got behind on wood a couple years ago. No problem burning coal but coal produces
a lot more ash. Empty the ash pan everyday with coal as opposed to 1X per week for wood.

If by burn times you mean how long before you have to do a complete restart, then I can get 8 hours if I fill it just below the burn tubes. If I need to get longer time, then I add 2-3 EZ bricks (compressed saw dust bricks).

No issues except it will heat us out of the house when burning around the clock. Unless it's real cold out I let it burn out and do a restart when the house starts to cool down. I use the "top down method" to start my fires and it works great. Wish I had known about that method 30 years ago. If you are going to burn wood I would do a google search of top down fire lighting method. It seems backwards from traditional method but it works with a lot less dicking around.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.