DS Stoves 200-10 Ecomiser furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are likely more money but it is an example of the UL tested/listed:
http://www.yukon-eagle.com/

Search under Alpha American on the UL listing and they show up... Alpha American is the name in the manual used for warranty info.

Built to the UL standard but not certified? If there is no certification associated with the stove, may cause grief with inspection and insurance...

Need to see certification documents - most stove manufacturers include that documentation in the manual and I didn't see it in their manuals.:(

Not trying to cause you extra grief, just trying to save you from making a costly mistake...

No I appreciate your suggestions, I need to make sure this is all in order. I cant buy two furnaces. God knows how hard its been to get money for this one. I really like this furnace, I really like buying something from a shop in PA, which is why Im still trying to make sure its all good. Other wise I would have tossed it in the trash option like the Hot blast.
I just read the "brochure" not the manual that looks like it was scanned in 1995. it says
Safety tested and labeled to U.L. Standards by
Guardian Fire Testing to UL 391, ETLM78-1,
CAN/CSA B-366.1

Is that a step in the right direction or still just a worthless statement?

Built to the UL standard but not certified? If there is no certification associated with the stove, may cause grief with inspection and insurance...

Need to see certification documents - most stove manufacturers include that documentation in the manual and I didn't see it in their manuals.:(

Not trying to cause you extra grief, just trying to save you from making a costly mistake...

No I appreciate your suggestions, I need to make sure this is all in order. I cant buy two furnaces. God knows how hard its been to get money for this one. I really like this furnace, I really like buying something from a shop in PA, which is why Im still trying to make sure its all good. Other wise I would have tossed it in the trash option like the Hot blast.
I just read the "brochure" not the manual that looks like it was scanned in 1995. it says
Safety tested and labeled to U.L. Standards by
Guardian Fire Testing to UL 391, ETLM78-1,
CAN/CSA B-366.1

Is that a step in the right direction or still just a worthless statement?

Editing to add.
http://www.firetesting.com/products.htm scroll down, it is listed in alphabetical order D.S. Machine

Last edited:
Following that link doesn't actually get you to where they say exactly what models were tested - that I could find. You might have to follow up by asking for the test report to know for sure. Likely the simple bottom line is that if the actual furnace has an actual UL sticker on it, you should be OK insurance-wise.

That likely still won't address possible concerns about quality & how good it works though - don't seem to be getting a whole lot of feedback on that here.

EDIT: OK, I think I see 'your' model listed on that site, looking around a bit more. I would still verify the furnace has a sticker if you buy - that's the simple thing your insurance person would want to see.

Okay thanks. When I buy I will make sure it is there.
I was hoping to find someone that had one.
It was suggested to me on the coal forum, but it was one a guy was going to purchase and got injured list his job and so he has been making a US stove model work.
So all I have in that regard is someone who looked liked it but no burn experience. I hope to find someone before I make my trip to check it out. This forum I thought was my best bet. But maybe I can get some refrenxes from the dealer or straight up call DS stove

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Do a search using the box top right ... a few discussions but nothing in depth or very long service performance
http://nepacrossroads.com/ Has a few discussions and discussion of some problems that may give some insight into the stoves wood/coal use.

Keep us posted. If you install, pics or it didn't happen:)

Reactions: Lcback
Speaking of Yukon Eagle, there was a Yukon rep that used to post on that "other" site and I seem to remember him having an ongoing (and sometimes heated) argument with some of the other industry guys about UL listings and efficiency ratings (EPA also). IIRC, it went something like this, many of the wood burners out there say something about UL because "they" claim that "they" build their stoves to UL, but when pushed, it turns out they use a UL listing that is just a general spec for heaters...not specific for their wood burners, and not specifically "certified" by UL for their products, which is expensive to do, so not many wood burner manufacturers actually do it. Any manufacturer that is actually UL certified (and EPA for that matter) will proudly advertise it and make available copies of the test or cert like Yukon does (and like Kuuma does with their emissions test)
If you are getting the run-around on the EPA or UL #s...probably not actually certified.
I had interest in the Kuumas a year or two ago and I contacted them about talking to some of their existing customers...they sent me a list of 5 or 6 people that were close to me along with their contact info so I could arrange to go talk to them and maybe see one in action. Now that is customer service...I would think that DS is a small enough company to be able/willing to do likewise

Reactions: Lcback
I would think that DS is a small enough company to be able/willing to do likewise
Every time I talk to the guys from ds I get the run around about just about everything. That and their poor engineering is why I would never recommend their stoves.

Every time I talk to the guys from ds I get the run around about just about everything. That and their poor engineering is why I would never recommend their stoves.
Hmm, yeah that's kinda disappointing to hear...

Looked at the Guardian Testing site again, only two listings for DS machine. Specific stoves, general process, what is certified?

Looked at the Guardian Testing site again, only two listings for DS machine. Specific stoves, general process, what is certified?
Did you scroll way down that page? Has models noted.

I can not find a single thing in any of their literature that claims an epa certification. Which means that that number could have come from any sort of testing procedure.
Not finding any DS product on EPA certified stove listings either.

LC, Get on line and contact Messick stoves. I think the guys name is Larry. Top notch no BS.
Thanks I appreciate that. The dealer I have been in contact with admits that he just started selling the furnces in January. So I'll give messick a call.

Not sure of the certifications or specifically what listings they qualify for but I have a stove company fairly local to me in Ohio that specializes in these ds stoves and many others . I have looked all the models ds sells over and I can say these are extremly well built and look like they'd be a good option for some . The kozy King and ecomiser have reburn technology and the welds look great .the material is thick heavy duty steel . Nothing skimpy or cheesy about these heaters . I'm told these are under rated for the sq feet listed and I have no reason to doubt that being they have lots of firebox space and heat exchange area .i opted for a max caddy by psg that they sell but the kozy King 300 made it a tough choice .i am very familiar with EPA forced air heaters so that was the direction is was leaning toward being I'm gone 12+ hours a day ,I was looking at efficiency predominantly on this purchase but I'm sure the other furnaces ds sells would have been fine too . I like the simplicity and heavy construction that the Amish use when making these stoves and ability to burn coal if needed . My max caddy is awesome and for me the choice worked out. Cherry valley stoves in Andover Ohio is the shop I'm referring to .they sell tons of ds stuff to the local Amish communities and would be a good place to call and get prices and info

Last edited:
Not sure of the certifications but I have a stove company fairly local to me that specializes in these ds stoves . I have looked all the models over and I can say these are extremly well built and look like they'd be a good option . The kozy King and ecomiser have reburn technology and the welds look great .the material is thick heavy duty steel . Nothing skimpy about these heaters . I'm told these are under rated for the sq feet listed .
Yes like I have said they are well built that is not in question. It is their engineering that is and by the looks of their secondary combustion system on the Kozy King it is lacking quite a bit on that model as well. And without actual certified efficiency testing numbers which they do not list I have to seriously doubt their numbers.

Not sure of the certifications or specifically what listings they qualify for but I have a stove company fairly local to me in Ohio that specializes in these ds stoves and many others . I have looked all the models ds sells over and I can say these are extremly well built and look like they'd be a good option for some . The kozy King and ecomiser have reburn technology and the welds look great .the material is thick heavy duty steel . Nothing skimpy or cheesy about these heaters . I'm told these are under rated for the sq feet listed and I have no reason to doubt that being they have lots of firebox space and heat exchange area .i opted for a max caddy by psg that they sell but the kozy King 300 made it a tough choice .i am very familiar with EPA forced air heaters so that was the direction is was leaning toward being I'm gone 12+ hours a day ,I was looking at efficiency predominantly on this purchase but I'm sure the other furnaces ds sells would have been fine too . I like the simplicity and heavy construction that the Amish use when making these stoves and ability to burn coal if needed . My max caddy is awesome and for me the choice worked out. Cherry valley stoves in Andover Ohio is the shop I'm referring to .they sell tons of ds stuff to the local Amish communities and would be a good place to call and get prices and info
Thanks for your input. Glad to hear from someone who has at least seen the furnace. I'm glad to hear the build quality. Atleast puts it above the other wood coal in my budget. Basically us stove and daka options.
The efficiency may very well be a stretch. But it does have some reburn. And that's a big plus over the us stove, daka, shelter. Not to mention burning with no power.
I'm pretty set right now that this will be the furnace soon.
This lets me rest easy about wood scrounging. And if I enjoy burning coal like others I know. I can do as I please. I like options. Even at the expense of some top end specs.

But it does have some reburn. And that's a big plus over the us stove, daka, shelter.
Only if it works. But by looking at it I think it will be a fairly good coal stove so at least you would have that. And it will burn wood just not as well as a furnace that is designed better. And yeah you may need to clean more often

Status
Not open for further replies.