Encore 2040 cat c overheat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Curious what actual cold is there for y’all. We are too this weekend gonna be single digits which is very rare here especially this time of year
You might actually be colder than us. We'll get down to 15 this weekend. Usually we get a couple weeks of cold snaps in the single digits maybe slightly below 0 at night. But I'm right on the coast so typically it's a little bit warmer than inland and definitely warmer than the mountains.

Reactions: Jayci.Maine
Your stove top temp rises to 700-800? Or the cat temp?

Does this happen on a hot reload? Cold startup? My thoughts are you are leaving the damper open too long and lighting the entire load up before engaging bypass. By then it's too late. My flames definitely die down as I cut my air flow. But I also do that based on cat temps versus stove top. I largely ignore more stove top temp unless I feel the room is cold. Then I add a little more air until I get to about 550-600 stt to get the house more comfortable.

This stove is also a pain in the ass to figure out
for sure ...thanks....may buy a non cat other brand

So can you now load firebox completely and have manageable cat and stt temps throughout burn?

So can you now load firebox completely and have manageable cat and stt temps throughout burn?
If I follow Johns method and use larger splits its very manageable through out burn. If I use smaller splits with very low moisture it does get a little crazy. I feel no matter what temps are going to spike during burn cycle for a short period. Prior to gaskets being replaced I had a fire extinguisher on the Ready. I don’t have that fear any longer.

Reactions: skb31
before replacing the griddle gasket there was a slight clank noise (metal on metal) when i closed the griddle. Now its more of a thud as it meets the gasket. I’ve also noticed that the griddle seals better if it sits mores towards the back lip vs pulled forward.

Yeah I’m sure all companies exaggerate that a bit. Honestly surprised you don’t get that on full load. I can do 4 very large splits which is what I’m callin half full and go from 7:30/8 pm- 4 am. Meaning stove is 300-350 full of big hot coals.
Do you close your air down all the way?

If I follow Johns method and use larger splits its very manageable through out burn. If I use smaller splits with very low moisture it does get a little crazy. I feel no matter what temps are going to spike during burn cycle for a short period. Prior to gaskets being replaced I had a fire extinguisher on the Ready. I don’t have that fear any longer.
That’s awesome I guess I’ll change mine out.

Reactions: Willcgt77
You are brave I still have a fire extinguisher and ash bucket handy in case it goes nuclear

Agreed, I’m completely good with peak if it’s 14-1500 and 6-650
Just don’t like 18 and 7-8

Yeah I didn’t mean it’s best way just that I have to haha
well with the secondary it should still burn instead of smolder. so if it gets shut down in staged shouldn't be an issue. worth a try while I am working from home and see what happens. getting an extra couple hours of burn time would be nice, especially at night. perfectly ok if the house gets a little colder at night when we sleep. almost preferred even

well with the secondary it should still burn instead of smolder. so if it gets shut down in staged shouldn't be an issue. worth a try while I am working from home and see what happens. getting an extra couple hours of burn time would be nice, especially at night. perfectly ok if the house gets a little colder at night when we sleep. almost preferred even
Yeah mine definitely don’t smoulder always small flame

Try letting some ash build up. Someone else said they do this and I started and think it makes a difference. My ash pan is full and definitely couple inches of ash in the box
How long do you keep ash pan full? Do you just leave it full and scoop ashes out of the Firebox? I empty mine sooner just because I hate the mess it makes when pan is overfull and the top gets skimmed off when I open pan door To empty. I do notice stove runs better with full ash pan. I read somewhere that there are a couple air holes up front near front legs that people have plugged and seen a difference in temp control.

How long do you keep ash pan full? Do you just leave it full and scoop ashes out of the Firebox? I empty mine sooner just because I hate the mess it makes when pan is overfull and the top gets skimmed off when I open pan door To empty. I do notice stove runs better with full ash pan. I read somewhere that there are a couple air holes up front near front legs that people have plugged and seen a difference in temp control.
I haven't emptied it in a month. Tried to empty it and see how it ran and it was more difficult to control.

Now I just scoop them out of the box. Maybe once a week depending how much I burn

I haven't emptied it in a month. Tried to empty it and see how it ran and it was more difficult to control.

Now I just scoop them out of the box. Maybe once a week depending how much I burn
Nice! Not a bad idea, I’ll give it a try.