Encore 2040 cat c overheat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
View attachment 305601
Our biggest fans of the wood stove. Every morning like clockwork!
Oh my goodness, this looks like a fireplace ad!! My stove is full of huge flames too. I think my splits are on the smaller side as well-- but I do have some bigger logs, and I feel like they're behaving the same way. I'm so stressed about over firing my stove and burning out my catalyst 😭 I never thought I'd be so excited about a woodstove forum, but I agree with you-- it sure helps to know it's so nuanced and I'm not the only one 😅

Try letting some ash build up. Someone else said they do this and I started and think it makes a difference. My ash pan is full and definitely couple inches of ash in the box
Yes-- this is a major factor. I've cleaned out the ash twice now, and we have insane uncontrollable firebombs for like 4 days. Now that I just did it for a second time, I figured out the pattern. It's irritating because the manual says to clean out the ash! But yeah-- once I build the ash back up, I can get way better control. There are definitely huge vents all along the bottom-- I've been wondering if the ash pan is supposed to be airtight? Mine definitely isn't. But yes. Seriously 3"+ of ash improves the overheating situation drastically.

I posted earlier in the week about how John's advice was working so well! Then I enthusiastically cleaned out the ash pan, and I've been devastated for several days because the new method completely stopped working. Then last night I realized the correlation-- scraped as much ash as I could over the slats in the bottom-- and immediately improved again.

Oh my goodness, this looks like a fireplace ad!! My stove is full of huge flames too. I think my splits are on the smaller side as well-- but I do have some bigger logs, and I feel like they're behaving the same way. I'm so stressed about over firing my stove and burning out my catalyst 😭 I never thought I'd be so excited about a woodstove forum, but I agree with you-- it sure helps to know it's so nuanced and I'm not the only one 😅
after reading all the problems and solutions...this forum has been a life saver,,,,I fought over firing for years. My stove works perfectly after 2 years of frustration...thanks to all who have contributed solutions...I followed there ideas of allowing the ash in the ash drawer to completely fill and the ash in the fire box to remain. The stove acts perfectly now.........goes to 500 with a stove top thermometer and stays there with the draft control shut ...cat engaged..........thanks again..............What a great Christmas present...Merry Christmas to all added bonus the glass stays clean

Last edited:
I've read different things about these cats too. Some things say they are rated to 1700 consistent but I find that hard to believe. I think a short spike is fine but 1800 is hot. You should take a look at it when it's cool and see how it looks.
I've learned a lot from all of your posts here! Thank you so much for sharing.
I do have a question, though. With all of the discussions of excessive temps has anyone experienced a warp in the steel frame of their catalyst? I have an Encore 2040. My original cat lasted over 4 years. It was missing a couple of the cell walls inside. I purchased 2 new ones from Condar, and they warped - both of them - right away. I attached a picture of one. I didn't think my stove really got that hot, but maybe it did. The original catalyst never warped. I have the factory Catalyst gauge on the back and after reading all of your comments, I will be replacing it with a digital model so I know exactly where I stand. But back to the issue of the cat - anyone ever have it warp? If I could just wrap it with a little steel belt and cinch it down, it would be like new. Should be like new - one is only 2 days old! On top of it all, it's impossible to find a replacement right now - all are sold out. I see metal is available, so I'll have to go that route unless there are concerns with using that? Thanks again!! I've learned a lot from all of you and want to keep learning more! I quickly realized that this is an art not a science - and I'm no artist, that's for sure! Sneaking in a last question - is it safe to operate with the warped catalyst until I can get a new one?

20230130_081330.jpg

I've learned a lot from all of your posts here! Thank you so much for sharing.
I do have a question, though. With all of the discussions of excessive temps has anyone experienced a warp in the steel frame of their catalyst? I have an Encore 2040. My original cat lasted over 4 years. It was missing a couple of the cell walls inside. I purchased 2 new ones from Condar, and they warped - both of them - right away. I attached a picture of one. I didn't think my stove really got that hot, but maybe it did. The original catalyst never warped. I have the factory Catalyst gauge on the back and after reading all of your comments, I will be replacing it with a digital model so I know exactly where I stand. But back to the issue of the cat - anyone ever have it warp? If I could just wrap it with a little steel belt and cinch it down, it would be like new. Should be like new - one is only 2 days old! On top of it all, it's impossible to find a replacement right now - all are sold out. I see metal is available, so I'll have to go that route unless there are concerns with using that? Thanks again!! I've learned a lot from all of you and want to keep learning more! I quickly realized that this is an art not a science - and I'm no artist, that's for sure! Sneaking in a last question - is it safe to operate with the warped catalyst until I can get a new one?

View attachment 308905
I have not tried the metal one but will be my next purchase. My cat that I broke before I installed the cat temp probe was warped. Bottom side in the back. I know others have had this happen as well. I believe they are just poorly made and do not stand up to the heat of the cat which I would guess is exceeding 1500 by the looks of that cat after 2 days. I got some from Midwest Hearth and they were in stock, I'd check there.

I don't think there has been a solution to the warping other than keeping cat temps down below roughly 1500. My stove has not been up as high as it used to in a few weeks so I plan to check it this week when it goes cold. I would rotate it when you put it back in. Definitely safe to operate like that. The cat will work even with some hairline cracks in it as well

I have not tried the metal one but will be my next purchase. My cat that I broke before I installed the cat temp probe was warped. Bottom side in the back. I know others have had this happen as well. I believe they are just poorly made and do not stand up to the heat of the cat which I would guess is exceeding 1500 by the looks of that cat after 2 days. I got some from Midwest Hearth and they were in stock, I'd check there.

I don't think there has been a solution to the warping other than keeping cat temps down below roughly 1500. My stove has not been up as high as it used to in a few weeks so I plan to check it this week when it goes cold. I would rotate it when you put it back in. Definitely safe to operate like that. The cat will work even with some hairline cracks in it as well
I reached out to Condar regarding the 2 failures I experienced. They were very nice in their response and explained that they were hesitant to offer the catalyst in the first place, due to the excessive heat experienced with the Encore. This is why their catalyst come with no warranty for the Encore Flexburn. So, I guess I'm with you all in trying to master the temperature control! And here I thought I had it all figured out.

This is good info. I suspect the design is what makes the cat overheat. And there is a fine line to keeping it control and going nuclear