Encore 2550 damper bar replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Menke

Feb 2, 2018
Central NY
20180202_073819_001.jpg
Great forum with lots of great info. I had to replace my upper fireback so ordered a new one. Working on reassembly, I cannot figure out how the old damper bar comes out of the old fireback so that I can put it in the new one I bought. They sell them separately so I figure the damper bar must come out some way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your pic, it would seem that the rod has to be slid to the left in order for the shorter right end to clear the casting.
I take it that way doesn't work?

Looking at your pic, it would seem that the rod has to be slid to the left in order for the shorter right end to clear the casting.
I take it that way doesn't work?
It doesn't. The end of the bar is about 1/2 way through the holebut it seems like i would have bend the damper bar to get it all the way out. That doesn't seem right and worried it would deform the bar.

It doesn't. The end of the bar is about 1/2 way through the holebut it seems like i would have bend the damper bar to get it all the way out. That doesn't seem right and worried it would deform the bar.
@defiant3 is our resident VC guru. Hopefully he can lend some advice.

When I did my rebuild, I do not recall haveing issues with pulling it out. It was pretty easy.
The cementing of the top end of the fire back was interesting....

When I did my rebuild the bar slipped right out--maybe your upper has warped in such a way as to not allow it? Like Defiant3 said, a hammer should fix it right up. As a last resort, might even have to break the casting to get it out?