England stove works CB-120 brand new and thermostat not working right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Concretehead

Nov 28, 2018
Maryland
Professionaly installed and I have the thermometer hanging freely out of the back of the unit. When I use on manual setting one which is the lowest on days that are not freezing my downstairs stays about 80 degrees. When I use the temp mode no matter what temp I set it to such as 60 degrees it just never shuts off and keeps feeding pellets.
I have never seen the stove shut off on its own once like it supposed to when it gets to set temperature. I’ve tried to set it to all different temps and it just steady keeps going and feeds pellets. Never have gotten an error or anything like that.
This is the model that has the small panel built in at the top of the unit and has manual settings 1-9 and temps 60-90. Thank you I’m going crazy here I just want it to shutdown when at temp so it doesn’t constantly feed pellets and I can save the fuel.

Are you in manual mode or automatic mode? Manual will never shut down till you push off button.

Are you in manual mode or automatic mode? Manual will never shut down till you push off button.

I am talking about automatic mode. I currently use manual mode because automatic mode isn’t working correctly. The thermostat does not seem to work right at all and does not shut down even on the lowest temperature.

If you certain its in auto. I would call ESW support.

If you certain its in auto. I would call ESW support.

Yes I’ve read the manual multiple times to make sure and it is easy to switch back and forth to auto and manual. Not sure if someone knew of a way to test that the thermostat is bad or not or if there is another setting I could mess with that is not in the manual. I traded the thermo wire and it isn’t damaged and it’s plugged in.

I just read in your manual pg 20. the in auto mode when the stove reaches its set temperature it will adjust auger feed to either slow down or speed up. What that tells me is it does not shut the stove off, it idle’s it down till a call for heat happens. So the stove never completely shuts off. Make sure the thermocouple is not near the floor or touching anything.

I just read in your manual pg 20. the in auto mode when the stove reaches its set temperature it will adjust auger feed to either slow down or speed up. What that tells me is it does not shut the stove off, it idle’s it down till a call for heat happens. So the stove never completely shuts off. Make sure the thermocouple is not near the floor or touching anything.

I see I don’t know how I missed that, I still wil have to call support though because even with my temp set to the lowest which is 60 it still heats the downstairs to 80 or 81 degrees and goes through pellets pretty fast. Maybe it is too powerful? It does 2300 square feet and my house is 1900 and 2 stories. Stays around 80 even on manual lowest setting also.

I turn my thermostat to summer at let the furnace fan spread the heat. You may find it works geat when the cold settles in.

I have the same stove and never have had success in auto mode. Tried it a handful of times for the overnight burn so the stove could shut down and let the temp drop but it doesn’t do it. The way I understand the auto mode is it is designed to shut down. The Englander Service videos even reference not using it in poorly insulated homes because the costs to up and down temp swings would cause too many start cycles. I’ve seen a few other complaints I think it’s just a chit design. I only use manual mode

I have the same stove and never have had success in auto mode. Tried it a handful of times for the overnight burn so the stove could shut down and let the temp drop but it doesn’t do it. The way I understand the auto mode is it is designed to shut down. The Englander Service videos even reference not using it in poorly insulated homes because the costs to up and down temp swings would cause too many start cycles. I’ve seen a few other complaints I think it’s just a chit design. I only use manual mode
If you have the same stove,it does not shut down,it only reverts to a low burn mode,then will go back up to full heat,when required.Perhaps your reading skills are impaired.

Damn that sucks to hear. Mine is pretty much unusable because it ends up going into the overtemp shutting down error. I think some of it has to do with using cheaper pellets because if I use expensive ones it does better. The manual says to only use quality hardwood pellets also. It shouldn’t be so hard to use auto though and yes I end up just using manual mode which to me seems like it goes through pellets faster than it should because it’s just a constant stream of pellets dropping.

"The way I understand the auto mode is it is designed to shut down." That is your words,page 20 of your manual says different.However,you have discovered the problem,the video on youtube says it will shut down and restart,but the owners manual says different.Obviously they have made a mistake.

I think that they upgraded this model so that it will only run in high /low .They had problems with blowbacks from to many start and stops .

Last edited: