Firewood "B train"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mustash29

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2012
SE CT
B Train.JPG

My little 7 cu ft poly cart has served me well over the years. During shoulder season it works great as a wheelbarrow. Mother in law recently moved to Florida so I inherited her 10 cu ft poly cart.

My JD 425 has tons of power, so I just could not resist the urge to fab up a hitch so I can pull doubles. ;lol

All Aboard!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Do you have a doubles and Tripple endorsement?

Reactions: Todd67 and JimBear
i have actually been seriously considering putting in a track and a cart to get a real train going to move my firewood...

i have actually been seriously considering putting in a track and a cart to get a real train going to move my firewood...

Look up the "Tramway" that was built in Northern Maine to move wood between Chamberlain and Eagle Lakes up in the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. There is also a set of abandoned trains in the same area. We snowmobile to it in the winter but this summer we hiked in. It was a 3 hour drive in and out plus another 3 hours of exploring making it a 9 hour day. The tramway moved an incredible amount of wood using huge steam boilers.

Reactions: Allagash350
Tramway" that was built in Northern Maine to move wood between Chamberlain and Eagle Lakes up in the Allagash Wilderness Waterway.
Recently saw a segment about it on Mysteries of the Abandoned.

Reactions: Allagash350
I haven't tried backing up yet and don't really need to, LOL.

My modus operandi is to handle wood as little as possible. Cut, split, stack, toss in cart, toss in fire.

I have 34' of second floor deck on the back of the house. I keep a few cord of "dead of winter" stash under there 24/7 that I burn from when the yard snow is too deep to deal with, too muddy, etc. Otherwise I drive straight through and drop one cart on each side of the sliding door that leads into the mud room where the fire is. Out of the cart & into the fire. I only keep a small rack of premo super dry, startup & kindling inside the house.

Look up the "Tramway" that was built in Northern Maine to move wood between Chamberlain and Eagle Lakes up in the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. There is also a set of abandoned trains in the same area. We snowmobile to it in the winter but this summer we hiked in. It was a 3 hour drive in and out plus another 3 hours of exploring making it a 9 hour day. The tramway moved an incredible amount of wood using huge steam boilers.

I have yet to make it there in the winter . . . the one time we tried to do so, one of my co-worker's sled self destructed with parts and pieces everywhere on Chesuncook Lake. He hung out at the lodge (obviously before it burned) while another co worker made a helter skelter dash back to the trucks . . . me and the other guy just took our time and ambled back home after lunch.

Seeing it in the Summer was neat though as you can see the old rails and many things that I suspect would be covered by the snow.

I have yet to make it there in the winter . . . the one time we tried to do so, one of my co-worker's sled self destructed with parts and pieces everywhere on Chesuncook Lake. He hung out at the lodge (obviously before it burned) while another co worker made a helter skelter dash back to the trucks . . . me and the other guy just took our time and ambled back home after lunch.

Seeing it in the Summer was neat though as you can see the old rails and many things that I suspect would be covered by the snow.

It's cool in the winter but yes, well worth the trip without the snow. The gear frame has been rebuilt.
Thankfully Chesuncook Lake House is being rebuilt after that devastating fire last season.