Frustrated!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC80

Minister of Fire
Mar 27, 2013
New Jersey
Gonna take some better pics when I get home but figured I would ask the stupid question. Looking to put a insert into my existing fireplace but having trouble finding something I like that will fit. My question is that there is an existing fireplace installed right now, the damper is already removed (rusted out) and the doors are very easy to remove. The firebox is steel and is restricting the size of the the insert I can put in as after 15" deep the back slopes up.

Can I remove this steel box? Is there masonry behind it? I tap on the steel and it sounds like there is room behind it. I will open it up when i get home and take better pics for you. This is the only pic i have available of the outside

IMG_20130216_173203_064_zpsd4b17123.jpg

Without seeing a better pic of the inside, it's hard to tell EXACTLY what you have, but if the venting was metal, it's probably a Zero Clearance (ZC) fire place. Chances are that there is no masonry behind it. ZC boxes are usually framed in with lumber or steel studs. Look inside the opening - behind the doors - for a rating plate. If there is one, & you can read it, let us know what it says. Also, if the venting has already rusted out, you're going to have to rip out that whole thing anyway. You should maybe start looking for EPA rated ZC fire places to install in that location & forgo an insert.

OK I will post some better pics tonight. If it is a ZC fireplace that means I have to open the whole wall to remove and replace it? I can install a ZC fireplace with the existing clay flue?

OK I will post some better pics tonight. If it is a ZC fireplace that means I have to open the whole wall to remove and replace it? I can install a ZC fireplace with the existing clay flue?

Clay? If there's clay tile in there, then it's not a ZC box. What does the chase/chimney outside look like? is IT masonry or is it framed & sided?

its all masonry with what I think is a 6"x10" clay flu. my wood furnace flue is right next to in in the same chimney

does this mean its a prefab fireplace?

Are the vents on either side of the fireplace anything to do with it?Could be a heatilater type fireplace

no vents are closed off from old furnace duct work

really dont want to rip the whole thing out, seems the enviro 1200 would fit. Is it acceptable to put an insert into one of these things?

does this mean its a prefab fireplace?

Were you able to find an ID plate just inside the door near the bottom? Does your masonry chimney flair out near the bottom to the size of a fireplace or is it just the straight run right down to the ground?

We are all just guessing. My GUESS is that it is some type of pre-fab fireplace vented into the flue in the masonry chimney. Until you either find the manufacturer's plate or some way to see what is inside I don't think anybody here will be able to help you.

really dont want to rip the whole thing out, seems the enviro 1200 would fit. Is it acceptable to put an insert into one of these things?

Until you know for sure what is there it will be hard to comment on whether or not it is suitable for any insert.

KaptJaq

ok, i will clean it out good after work and take some pics

the flue is already removed (rusted out)

I think this is what is confusing. Please explain in greater detail. Is this on an exterior wall? If so, post a picture of the outdoor side too.

no its interior, runs through attic

the flue is already removed (rusted out)
I think this is what is confusing. Please explain in greater detail. Is this on an exterior wall? If so, post a picture of the outdoor side too.
its all masonry with what I think is a 6"x10" clay flu. my wood furnace flue is right next to in in the same chimney

Was there a steel liner running up the clay flue in the masonry chimney? Were there two steel liners (one for the furnace and one for the fireplace) in the same clay flue or two clay flues each with a liner? Lots of pictures of everything will help...

KaptJaq

No steel liners in either flu just clay. both separate clay flues in same chimney

the damper itself rusted out wasnt working right so i removed it, ahh crap just reread my original post. No wonder I had everyone confused! Sorry guys, edited it. :(

Ahh damper, that makes a difference, sounds like a masonry fireplace now. If you feel sure you won't use the fireplace ever again you could try cutting out a piece of the metal and see if brick is behind it, you got a carbide hole cutter sitting around?

I have seen people remove the metal to get a larger cavity to insert an fireplace insert into, masonry is masonry if you meet the clearance to combustibles.

OK, thanks for clearing up the confusion. That dog does look intense, must have zombie xray vision or he found a radiocactive isotope out in the north 40.

Give us the complete measurements for the fireplace. height & width, front and back and depth, top and bottom, we'll see what fits.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
ok heres some pics

up the flue
IMG_20130403_200248_658_zpsf9f1af57.jpg

side of firebox, behind the door where brick meets steel
IMG_20130403_200423_552_zps99415550.jpg

looking into the firebox
IMG_20130403_200438_622_zps440b9290.jpg

bottom looks like masonry with ash door
IMG_20130403_200907_530_zpscae79d4f.jpg

IMG_20130403_200213_623_zps41d16dd8.jpg

Looks like maybe an old heatform fireplace?

Status
Not open for further replies.