Furious with my chimney installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay... some good news. The insulation I was seeing before was just some leftover blanket wrap remnants that the installer shoved up around the outside of the liner, to help insulate / seal off the block-off plate. I pulled it out, and the liner looks like a good install. However, there were many hand-sized chunks of the light puffy creosote, and I'm not sure where they're coming from. How could they be between outside of blanket-wrapped liner and my clay tile chimney? They're too big to have been there during install.

IMG_4986.JPG IMG_4989.JPG

Found a label from the appliance adaptor or liner up there... still partially legible. Guess it's not getting too hot in there.

IMG_4988.JPG

Reactions: pen
Now ya got me wondering what is on top of my block off plate.

Not enough to look, but...

What size clay liners are they? Just curious i though you had said 8" but they have to be bigger than that if that is a wrapped 6" liner. That looks like burnt creosote to me not sure when or why it burnt but if it looks like that and is light and fluffy that burnt for sure.

You havn't ran long if at all on this setup, correct?

Could the creosite be raining in from the chimney cap area?

I'll re-measure the pipe, as you're right, it does look bigger than 8" ID. Liner is def 6" in a blanket.

I've been running on this liner since fall 2012.

Probably poor description, on my part. Consistency and weight of pumice rock.

Probably poor description, on my part. Consistency and weight of pumice rock.

Yeah - uh...creosote doesn't come in that form. Fire turns it into that form...Just say'in.

Remember the little round "snakes" that you lit as a kid (while burning your fingers with the bic lighter)? Same, same.

Reactions: Ashful

I had a bunch of high carbon black bubbly crumbly like that right after an air leak in my chimney. I had to replace a triple wall elbow that had a big dent in it. It wasn't obvious from outside, but when I took it apart it looked just like someone had dropped it and installed it anyway. Like drilling a hole the size of a quarter or a half dollar in the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.