Furniture Oil used 8 months ago

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No one is trying to give you a hard time or judge you. It's common on this sight for standing members to give new comers pointers.
You do have a beautiful place, and a nice floor. As careful as one can be, chit still happens. Be a shame to see that floor scared or worse.
Stay safe.

On another note, most older double door stoves use an 8'' flue. Hard to tell from the pic but, it looks as if you have both 8 and 6''?
Curious as to what you have.

Reactions: NHWS
hearth is too small in front of the appliance; not enough reveal around the wood burner

I don't intend to pile on, good luck and good health OP :)

All th

All the more reason to make sure you are burning safely. You need ember protection. They make mats for this. You should also have someone come and unstick the windows. That is very dangerous. God forbid there is a fire. You want to have other ways out of the house if doors are blocked by fire.

All the windows are original in this 1940's house so very inefficient and we are not replacing them; house will be put on the market for sale next fall. In case of a fire, i could easily break out one of the windows. Unsticking one of them would probably result in more damage than breaking the pane out.

Reactions: ctreitzell
If you like this look, then next summer, steel wool down the whole stove starting with a medium and then follow through with fine. Then wipe and vacuum dust free. Wipe it down with alcohol or acetone (with very good ventilation). Then paint with Stove Brite satin black paint. Give it 3 light coats. The new paint will need baking in. Do this at a time when the windows can be open. Once the stove is over 500º the paint will get baked.

It's metal it is not porous but there is residue left that is going to burn off
Unless it's cast iron which is porous.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but that is why cast iron skillets need to be seasoned.

well, not water permeable...yet cast iron does have relief :)

bholler means that the OP's stove is plate steel and not cast iron.
No I mean cast iron isn't porous. It is rough yes so oil etc sticks better but it doesn't soak into the metal.

Skillets need seasoned so they don't rust and so they are nonstick.

No I mean cast iron isn't porous. It is rough yes so oil etc sticks better but it doesn't soak into the metal.

Skillets need seasoned so they don't rust and so they are nonstick.
Oh, sorry.
I wouldn't say cast iron is porous either, but the metrology of cast does exhibit a ''looser'' structure when broken open.

Finished my morning coffee and of to work. Have a great day.

Oh, sorry.
I wouldn't say cast iron is porous either, but the metrology of cast does exhibit a ''looser'' structure when broken open.

Finished my morning coffee and of to work. Have a great day.
That I agree with 100%