Geospring HPWH being discontinued

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Look at the AO Smith units while you're at it. I like mine.

3-4 yrs ago the Rheem units had poor efficiency number relative to competitors. Look at 'EF' ratings.

Reactions: cecil_archer
I bet another company will take over the factory and produce these exact tanks. I believe its only 3 companies that actually make the heaters. Bradford white or state makes the rheem if I remember right.

I hope so ill be buying another one ,im sure.

There are still a few in stock at Lowe's throughout CT for $699 that includes the huge utility credit/rebate off the store price instantly. Anyone can walk in and buy one for $699. Lowes shows them for double the price in neighboring states for $1399.

That price does not include the $300 federal credit available to end of the year. So final price could be $400 if you can use the tax credit.

Looks like GE will fully continue supporting them. They just released this on their website recently.

GE Appliances has decided to discontinue manufacturing the GeoSpring hybrid electric water heater at the end of the 2016. In order to remain competitive globally, we at GE Appliances need to stay focused on how we best serve the interests of the current market and appliance owners, as well as growing sales to reinvest in both products, services and operations long-term.

GE Appliances will continue to honor all warranties for GeoSpring™ heat pump water. We will continue to provide parts and service for the GeoSpring. For service and support on the GeoSpring Hybrid Electric Water Heater, please contact the Innovations line at 1-888-443-4394, Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

Good to hear. Mines working well and much better then the old tankless coil. Now if i can get a heat pump boiler that would be great!

There are still a few in stock at Lowe's throughout CT for $699 that includes the huge utility credit/rebate off the store price instantly. Anyone can walk in and buy one for $699. Lowes shows them for double the price in neighboring states for $1399.

That price does not include the $300 federal credit available to end of the year. So final price could be $400 if you can use the tax credit.
Most states have a utility rebate as well. I got a $400 rebate check from my electric Company a few weeks after purchase. I still have to file for the $300 tax credit yet. $699 is a fantastic price.

I turned off the Geo for a few weeks to let my boiler heat my water and now i noticed evidence of some slow leakage and a small rust spots below the element housing covers. Very same situation iv had with regular water heaters. If left on they stay hot and any small leaks or even high humidity has no bad effect but if they are allowed to stay cold for any length of time small leaks get rusty fast. Ill be leaving it on and up to temperature from now on as i think it will last much longer. Probably cost very little to keep this bad boy hot especially when there is no cold coming in and the surrounding temp is 78 Deg.

Most boilers run a gallon a day, at a minimum. Figure out the cost per BTU at 110kBTU/gallon and you price of oil and figure you are getting 10,000 BTU per kWh from the Geo. The oil will not be negligible, but with cheap oil it might not be that different from the geo.

Most boilers run a gallon a day, at a minimum. Figure out the cost per BTU at 110kBTU/gallon and you price of oil and figure you are getting 10,000 BTU per kWh from the Geo. The oil will not be negligible, but with cheap oil it might not be that different from the geo.

Gallon a day even while just sitting at 120*?
I shut mine off for 6months then turned it back on but its only been maintaining as there hasnt really been a call for heat.

Mine ran 1.2 gal/day with no call for heat. And if I set the temp that low, I got condensation and sooted up a lot.

Mine comes on bout 2-3 times and raises temp to 135ish, only takes a couple min to get the temp there. If theres a call it goes to 185 couple times b4 thermastat is satisfied. I sure hope im not burning a gallon a day just keeping it warm!

I wired a 120V hour meter like this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0027NLO8K/?tag=hearthamazon-20

across the burner motor, and it was running about 1.0h per day while we were on vacation. And all that heat needs to go somewhere, my AC bill dropped 50% when I ditched the boiler.

Obviously, if you are only running 10mins per day, that is a different story.

Mine comes on bout 2-3 times and raises temp to 135ish, only takes a couple min to get the temp there. If theres a call it goes to 185 couple times b4 thermastat is satisfied. I sure hope im not burning a gallon a day just keeping it warm!

My old one drank around 3/4 gallon per day just to keep itself warm, when we were using it to heat our DHW in the summer. From all I have read, that was normal - maybe even on the low side. Lots of standby losses in an oil boiler - although some are certainly better/worse than others. I'd be interested to see what an hour meter told you. :)

(Is yours a cold start boiler? Do you have a tankless coil or indirect?)

(Is yours a cold start boiler? Do you have a tankless coil or indirect?)[/QUOTE said:
I removed the tankless coil cause of the geospring install. Still have the triple aquastat maintaining 120-130 for heating season. Its a peerless wbv3 so i didnt wanna make it cold start. I did just pick up a riello f3 so i can run this at its least gph rating.

My calc for oil use was 5 gals of diesel last 6 sometimes 7 days before running out. I new I was going to pull it out so I did not want to be stuck with 100 gals to get rid of when it was time. Did this for 6 months.

Most states have a utility rebate as well. I got a $400 rebate check from my electric Company a few weeks after purchase. I still have to file for the $300 tax credit yet. $699 is a fantastic price.
I picked one up for 900 at lowes last month... Now they are up to 1400 again here.

500 local and 30% federal rebate. Didn't make sense to keep burning oil.

Like others I was burning ~.75 gallons of oil a day for hot water in the summer with an oil boiler and indirect.

I replaced an old LP unit with a Geospring a few years ago and have been really happy with it other than the noise (bloody loud IMO). It rarely leaves heat pump only mode.

I dont notice the noise but its in my basement, and when im down there its a hell of alot quieter then the boiler!
Basement dropped to 59 while it was on last night but raises back to 61. Its def a good combo having the boiler act as a space warmer since this thing kicks out cold air.

Basement dropped to 59 while it was on last night but raises back to 61. Its def a good combo having the boiler act as a space warmer since this thing kicks out cold air.
I have mine only about 4 feet from my solid fuel boiler ,so the air temps are around 80 all the time.Warmer than in summer. Lots of heat in 80 degree air. HPWH dont have to run long.

I hope these things remain available ,ill always have one if they do! Just the electric savings alone will pay for it without incentives.

Look at the AO Smith units while you're at it. I like mine.

3-4 yrs ago the Rheem units had poor efficiency number relative to competitors. Look at 'EF' ratings.

Bit of a delay on my end, but the Rheem is listed as a 3.5 EF, which seems pretty did. They are on sale now at my local Home Depot for $1000, and National Grid offers a $400 rebate.

But I think you have to pay to have it installed, so that might eat a chunk of the rebate up...

My info could easily be out of date....5 years ago they used a different refrigerant than the other makers and had a crazy 'low temp cutout' (like switches to the element below 50°F) and some other bad engineering.

I would be ok taking the 3.5 EF rating at face value (I assume there is independent testing). Mine is listed as 2.2 or 2.4 I think.