Geospring HPWH being discontinued

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My info could easily be out of date....5 years ago they used a different refrigerant than the other makers and had a crazy 'low temp cutout' (like switches to the element below 50°F) and some other bad engineering.

I would be ok taking the 3.5 EF rating at face value (I assume there is independent testing). Mine is listed as 2.2 or 2.4 I think.

I agree that a 3.5 seemed pretty solid. My fear is just that they are so new, the kinks havent been worked out yet, and the protection plan is only 5 years (before at Lowes you could get the 10 year on the GeoSpring). I normally dont buy the plans, but for something like this thats a bunch of money, it seems like its worth the peace of mind.

I like that it also seems that you can attach ducting without any special adaptors to this model. If I get it, I may attach some flex-duct and route the intake to where my storage tanks tend to bleed some heat in the winter.

Bit of a delay on my end, but the Rheem is listed as a 3.5 EF, which seems pretty did. They are on sale now at my local Home Depot for $1000, and National Grid offers a $400 rebate.

But I think you have to pay to have it installed, so that might eat a chunk of the rebate up...

It looks like Home Depot lists the Rheem Performance Platinum on their website, which is listed at 2.45 energy factor.

Rheem claims 3.5 EF for the Professional Prestige. I'm not seeing this model on Home Depot's site.

This should be the rating per the DOE test procedure, which is at 58 degree inlet water temperature, 135 degree final water temperature, and 67.5 degree air temperature.

I looked at heat pump models when I installed my current water heater 5 years ago, but I wasn't able to figure out a way to fit one in my existing closet and assure good air flow to it. If they keep improving, I may have to try harder to fit things in the next time my water heater needs replacing.

It looks like Home Depot lists the Rheem Performance Platinum on their website, which is listed at 2.45 energy factor.

Rheem claims 3.5 EF for the Professional Prestige. I'm not seeing this model on Home Depot's site.

This should be the rating per the DOE test procedure, which is at 58 degree inlet water temperature, 135 degree final water temperature, and 67.5 degree air temperature.

I looked at heat pump models when I installed my current water heater 5 years ago, but I wasn't able to figure out a way to fit one in my existing closet and assure good air flow to it. If they keep improving, I may have to try harder to fit things in the next time my water heater needs replacing.

Hmmm. Here is the link I'm looking at.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-Perf...-and-10-Year-Warranty-XE50T10HD50U0/300620237

Under the specs it says 3.5. I'll have to do some checking to see what the true rating is.

Strange. The day I posted that, the highest rating I could find for a water heater on Home Depot was 2.45. Now it definitely reads 3.5.

I looked at the EFs of a number of HPWHs, and they all seem 20-30% higher than they were 4 years ago when I bought mine (when they were all 2.0 to 2.4). I would suppose that when these were 'weird' low-volume products the engineering was not done that well, and then when volumes became greater and HPWHs became enshrined in code, these companies actually engineered to compete on eff grounds.

It make me wonder if GE bagged its line because it was not interested in improving the engineering....anyone know what the late model qeospring EFs were?

OK, the 'pro' version of the geospring in EF = 3.4. Hmmm.

https://www.gpconservation.com/ge-geospring-geh50dfejsr.html

I looked at the EFs of a number of HPWHs, and they all seem 20-30% higher than they were 4 years ago when I bought mine (when they were all 2.0 to 2.4). I would suppose that when these were 'weird' low-volume products the engineering was not done that well, and then when volumes became greater and HPWHs became enshrined in code, these companies actually engineered to compete on eff grounds.

It make me wonder if GE bagged its line because it was not interested in improving the engineering....anyone know what the late model qeospring EFs were?

OK, the 'pro' version of the geospring in EF = 3.4. Hmmm.

https://www.gpconservation.com/ge-geospring-geh50dfejsr.html

I tried digging into finding that out once.

I have had my 2nd gen for almost 4 years. 2 years ago or so the filter light kept coming on. Called GE and they send me out a new upgraded fan kit. I installed it and it seemed to be about twice as powerful as the old one. The new fan really pulled some air compared to the old one. Maybe they just boosted the fan output?

1st gen- 2.35
2nd gen- 2.4 energy factor
3rd gen- 3.25/3.4? Energy factor

Edit- I actually just checked. Completely different compressor and fan assembly on the 3rd generation compared to the 2nd. I cross referenced parts here.

https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/ModelSectionParts/GEH50DFEJSRA/3/0/0/0/UNIT_PARTS

Last edited:
They are not discounted anymore. When i got mine they were $999 for months at lowes, now same one is $1399 .not a penny off.

I paid 1299 for the 80 gal.
You guys run yours in hp only mode or hybrid? My basement temp goes to lowest 56* so far but goes back up to 57/58 while its not running. Its been running pretty long like 5/6 hours maybe more after the kids shower or bath. They seem to use the most hot water!
Im wondering if hybrid would be more efficient in winter making it recover faster.

I paid 1299 for the 80 gal.
You guys run yours in hp only mode or hybrid? My basement temp goes to lowest 56* so far but goes back up to 57/58 while its not running. Its been running pretty long like 5/6 hours maybe more after the kids shower or bath. They seem to use the most hot water!
Im wondering if hybrid would be more efficient in winter making it recover faster.

I used to run only hp mode. Switched to hybrid after the wife took a shower and then I did and had no hot water. It works a lot better but doesn't run the elements unless there is a demand. So when the water is off it will kick off the elements and run hp only. Mine also runs a while in hp mode. Yeah it uses more power but maybe I will switch it back in the spring or summer time.

Lopi Rockport

Mines 80gal, so far i have never ran out of hot water with 4 showers and whatever else we run.
Ok So hybrid would only use the elements if hot water was being used and demand was high. It would not switch back and forth if hot water use was done and tank was just recovering correct?

That's how mine works. Mine the 50 gallon one but I'm sure the programming is the same. Once the demand is gone it is just on hp mode. The electric light will light when they are on and I've seen it go off after a shower and continues to run the heat pump.

Lopi Rockport

I run hp only. I got the 80 so that I would run out less. Switch it to hybrid if I have like 5 adults sleeping over, and I remember.

Hybrid mode claims it uses both elements and HP .That should not be a problem because the HP mode only uses about 10% more Kw than straight Element which is 4500 Watts. And HP is an additional 500+ watts. I use hybrid rarely when i have several back to back showers and washer going. As the air temp around my WH is around 80 degrees in winter the HP only mode 99% of the time is plenty.

I have the GE service manual for it. It is available online. I believe in hybrid mode it uses the elements to a certain water temp set point and then kicks on the heat pump.

For the sake of how much electricity these will save you I am a week in comparing running mine in heat pump only mode compared to electric elements using my Effergy energy monitor.

Will post the results next weekend. Keep in mind the energy ratings on it are running it in hybrid mode which uses the elements.

In heat pump only mode I am measuring 492 watts using my Effergy monitor.

Electric elements 4347 watts. Almost 9 times the power!

Yes, but time running at each is a pretty big part of the equation.
And at what the air temp around the WH is. Will run longer in a colder space.

And the compressor current **changes** as the temp of the water rises.

Hybrid just brings on the elements and shuts off the hp if the water temp drops down to a certain temp (don't remember the #) so when hp only is not keeping up it turns the electric on as that makes more heat faster. The hp and elements are NEVER on at the same time. In boost mode it just turns the elements on at a higher temp.

To any of you with other brands or newer units. Does your unit go in a self test mode on power up? That is the only thing I don't care for on the GE. If it didn't have that it could run off a generator during a power outage.

What temp you guys have yours set at? Im at 120*

me too. Hot enough to be 'safe', not that I worry about legionella. Not going to scald (takes a long time). Hot enough.

What temp you guys have yours set at? Im at 120*
Im now at 140 . Been doing multiple showers back to back and laundry at the same time. Otherwise i have to use the elements in hybrid mode. 140 allows me to use 100% HP mode as i can mix 50% cold and essentially double the 50 Gallon storage capacity. I try not to use the elements if possible. Defeats the purpose of the WH.

You think im at risk for legionnaires keeping it at 120?
We use a good amount of water so i figure its getting flushed out quite often if that makes any difference.
I think 122* doesnt promote the growth of them but can be present.

all the people read the reviews on amazon on the 50 gallon unit and made up their minds. Including myself. Apparently that thing was a turd.

You think im at risk for legionnaires keeping it at 120?
We use a good amount of water so i figure its getting flushed out quite often if that makes any difference.
I think 122* doesnt promote the growth of them but can be present.

Nope. I don't think there is a risk at 120°. I think there is a tiny risk at somewhat lower temps...I would not run 110°F.