Harman Accentra Insert Won't Stop Feeding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JimmyJackson182

Feb 11, 2018
Doylestown
Hey all,

New here, just bought a home with a Harman Accentra insert. I'm loving it—but learning the stove can be very temperamental. Here's one of my primary issues:
  • The stove sometimes will not shut off, even when turned to off as per directions—it keeps feeding.
I have all the dials correctly switched to off, and even turned the feeder to the lowest, as well as the temp. Still feeding all night. This has only happened about 3 nights over the past month since I've owned it, but wondering a solution?

I have NOT tried the open hopper trick, to shut off the switch. Nor have I unplugged, as I'm not quite sure which breaker it's on (she main lined it in, there is no actual plug).

Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks!

The ESP is in the exhaust tailpipe at the back bottom of your stove, just give it a wipe with a damp cloth then wipe it with an alcohol pad.

No. The ESP is in the exhaust stream before the vent pipe. It is the BRAIN of a Harman stove.
If it's coated with fly ash, it can't sense the the exhaust temperature is less than 90 degrees
& the unit won't shut down.

Reactions: Washed-Up
No. The ESP is in the exhaust stream before the vent pipe. It is the BRAIN of a Harman stove.
If it's coated with fly ash, it can't sense the the exhaust temperature is less than 90 degrees
& the unit won't shut down.

Super helpful guys, thank you. Now HOW do I get to it? My Harman is literally inside my chimney—it's an original stone chimney the set the stove into. So how do I gain access to the ESP?

You will hafta pull the insert out of the fire place. There are latches on either side - refer to your manual - that will release the insert from the mounting shell. You will need to purchase or fabricates one of these:

https://pellet-stove-parts-4less.co...zRF7AMDEKOZ_vocWzzTXl_9r1cyIKSvRoC-3wQAvD_BwE

in order to support the unit when it's pulled out. While you have it out, you might as well clean the fines box, the blowers & the venting...

Harman's website has maintenance videos that can be quite helpful...

My Accentra insert had a similar problem a few years ago that turned out to be caused by a bad pot switch on the control board. It was the one for the Room Temp - Stove Temp knob. Apparently this is a common issue on Accentras (maybe other Harman models also?). They’re fairly cheap to replace, I think I ordered a couple online for $3 each. I removed my board and paid an electronics repair guy $40 to solder it in but if you’re comfortable with soldering I don’t think it’s a big job.

My Accentra insert had a similar problem a few years ago that turned out to be caused by a bad pot switch on the control board. It was the one for the Room Temp - Stove Temp knob. Apparently this is a common issue on Accentras (maybe other Harman models also?). They’re fairly cheap to replace, I think I ordered a couple online for $3 each. I removed my board and paid an electronics repair guy $40 to solder it in but if you’re comfortable with soldering I don’t think it’s a big job.
Tim

Where did you order the switch? Thank you.

I think I got it from Brunners but unfortunately they no longer in business. You should be able to find them on EBay.