Have Omicron? can't smell pvc cement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Coming off a Covid infection. Am able to work around the house now. Gluing some schedule 40 pvc together. Can't smell it.
Also lost some weight from it.

Bummer, sorry to hear that. Hope this passes soon. It can affect sense of taste too.

I had that smell problem too and still get it on and off but it does come back in the moment you do not expect it to come back--lol..I personally think it has to do with other things rather than just covert as well. But its a drag and I was always trying to sniff around to make sure my environment did not smell especially when I had company so I was cleaning sinks and stuff before my company got to my house...silly me...It does take awhile so be patient...clancey

I never had covid symptoms, but over the last month the kids were complaining that the food was too spicy. Turns out I can't taste pepper or most other seasonings. Also, salsa tastes like what I imagine a dirty sock would taste like. (My 9 y.o. was quick to ask me how I know what dirty socks taste like, so I'm a it more careful with how I describe things.) Things seem to be improving slowly though.

I had that smell problem too and still get it on and off but it does come back in the moment you do not expect it to come back--lol..I personally think it has to do with other things rather than just covert as well. But its a drag and I was always trying to sniff around to make sure my environment did not smell especially when I had company so I was cleaning sinks and stuff before my company got to my house...silly me...It does take awhile so be patient...clancey
lol, that (checking for cleanliness) only happened here when my parents or in-laws visit.
Given that all family is overseas, no in-person visit (either direction) has happened since the summer of '19.
I am trying to avoid thinking what work my home needs if people start to visit here again :p

Hope all get better soon, and can enjoy good food (and drinks...) again. Such enjoyment is important in life. At least for me.

@Prof It appears 9 (and 11) y.o.'s are the same everywhere... Carefully watching myself how I explain things to them...

My dad was at a customer’s factory recently and the customer had a truck inside that was leaking gas. My dad put some under the guy’s nose and he still couldn’t smell it. Customer later got a test and was positive. That’s what I would fear most about Covid, not being able to smell gas leaks, smoke, bad food… So far I’ve either not had it or had no symptoms.

My daughter had the original Covid and it knocked her out bad for 2 weeks, and lost taste and smell for months. Then she said clean outside air smelled like fish (didn’t live near a lake). And all food tasted like chemicals.

Long before Covid was in the world, we both thought Little Caesers cheese bread and soft taco shells smelled like dirty feet.

Reactions: vinny11950
Long before Covid was in the world, we both thought Little Caesers cheese bread and soft taco shells smelled like dirty feet.
I still think the latter... Without having had COVID :D

Reactions: tlc1976
Hubby and I had covid early in 2020...He never lost his taste/smell but ended up hospitalized with double
pneumonia. I only had 'mild flu symptoms' and lost my taste/smell (and my cooking proved it! LOL)
It affects everyone differently so it's hard to pinpoint--one of my knitting friends (who had come to knitting
group on Tues) tested positive yesterday and only had a stuffy nose/mild cold symptoms and was
completely unaware that she had it.

I tested positive 12/30 before I even had symptoms, we tested after vacation just to be safe. Wife and daughter both tested negative and still have no symptoms. I sent in another test yesterday (they're free for me through work) and they are heading to CVS to retest this evening.

Symptoms started the next day with a runny nose and cough, then progressed to head/body aches. As of Wednesday nothing but fatigue a headache with any moderate activity.

Fortunately my Union negotiated 15 paid days off so I've got plenty of time if I need it.

Omicron fortunately isn't as severe as previous version.

Omicron fortunately isn't as severe as previous version.
What it lacks in super-strength it makes up for in massive volume. Our hospitals, already stressed and fatigued, are overwhelmed.

The issue with the last two remarks is that for the *individual* it is fortunate that this variant is less severe (better: has a lower probability to make one get severe disease). But for the society as a whole the higher infection rate can still cause problems, as noted above. (And note that that CAN result in problems for individuals, if you're one of the unlucky ones that do get severe disease from this, or otherwise have to go to the hospital.)

This is the conflict between doing what's right for oneself versus doing what would help the society as a whole (aka here as "the USA").

While the USA always was more individualistic, and Europe a bit more "collective", I see things going to the individualistic direction there too. I find that a pity (here and there).

This is what I appreciate on this website: people ask questions, and as a result people help. For free (mostly, I think).

So, keep up the good work here. Helping others.

And now my philosophical mood is over - aka, need to reload the stove.

Be safe, all.

Omicron is nothing more than a bad cold or mild flu. Our local hospitals here are not stressed or fatigued. If hospitals are over-loaded it is because of the media hyping it as the "black death". People are in a frenzy over something that isn't severe. Pandemic of the unvaccinated - what a hoot. Joe Biden's advisors are urging him to change his position because the latest data does not support his vaccine mandate position. Can you quote me deaths from Omicron? Probably not. The devastating effect on our children from schools closing is much more severe. Even today in the Supreme Court, Judge Sotomayor said Omicron is as bad as Delta, and she also said there are over 100,000 children in the hospital across the US with many on ventilators. This is simply not true. Stop watching the mainstream media and look at the available data. The virus has become a national psychosis.

I haven’t been able to smell since September. Just a very putrid chemical smell. Gets stronger when i eat any kind of protein

Omicron is nothing more than a bad cold or mild flu. Our local hospitals here are not stressed or fatigued. If hospitals are over-loaded it is because of the media hyping it as the "black death". People are in a frenzy over something that isn't severe. Pandemic of the unvaccinated - what a hoot. Joe Biden's advisors are urging him to change his position because the latest data does not support his vaccine mandate position. Can you quote me deaths from Omicron? Probably not. The devastating effect on our children from schools closing is much more severe. Even today in the Supreme Court, Judge Sotomayor said Omicron is much worse than Delta, and she also said there are over 100,000 children in the hospital with many on ventilators. This is simply not true. Stop watching the mainstream media and look at the available data. The virus has become a national psychosis.
They absolutely are overloaded here in central pa. My best friends father had a heart attack and ended up sitting in the hallway of the ER for 9 hours in a wheelchair being treated. I prefer to talk to my friends who are nurses to learn what is actually going on.

Reactions: wishlist
Entirely. Moderators lost the corporate jet privileges years ago. We don't even get to use the executive bathroom.

Of course, I understand the latter. The executive bathroom is the tree in the backyard. And that either should remain healthy and nice or should become fire wood. No bathroom services allowed.

Ok. I apologize. My post was not intended to make this political. It was intended to incite behavior good for the common good. I'll stop here as I don't want to have this deteriorate more because if my doing.

I wish all the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
They absolutely are overloaded here in central pa. My best friends father had a heart attack and ended up sitting in the hallway of the ER for 9 hours in a wheelchair being treated. I prefer to talk to my friends who are nurses to learn what is actually going on.
Once again, they may be overloaded, but there is no need for that. Omicron is no more than a bad cold or mild flu. It passes within a few days unless one has major/MAJOR comorbidities, and even then, it is nothing like we saw before.. Folks are flocking to hospitals because they are afraid after hearing all the doomsday crap on the news. Do a little independent research and stop spreading fear?

Ok. My post was not intended to make this political. It was intended to incite behavior good for the common good. I'll stop here as I don't want to have this deteriorate more because if my doing.

I wish all the best.
My response had nothing to do with your post...Just an FYI.

BTW...this is not political. It is fact versus hysteria. The facts do not back up most of what has been put in this thread. I really wish people would stop relying on the media...whether it is MSNBC or others of their ilk OR FOX and other conservative stations. Both have agendas! Start researching and reading the raw data that is available if you wish to know the truth.

The point is well taken. Most Omicron cases can stay at home if they were vaccinated. It's the unvaccianted that are overloading the hospitals. Some are taking up critical beds for as much as 200 days. They should be moved to nursing care facilities but often state laws prevent that.

The other tragic casualty from triaging the unvaccinated is the very young.

• Wow
Reactions: Dan Freeman
My response had nothing to do with your post...Just an FYI.

BTW...this is not political. It is fact versus hysteria. The facts do not back up most of what has been put in this thread. I really wish people would stop relying on the media...whether it is MSNBC or others of their ilk OR FOX and other conservative stations. Both have agendas! Start researching and reading the raw data that is available if you wish to know the truth.

Ok. Then I misunderstood the reason for your post.

My facts are from my wife, who works in the hospital.

• Wow
Reactions: Dan Freeman
It's the unvaccianted that are overloading the hospitals. Some are taking up critical beds for as much as 200 days.

The other tragic casualty from triaging the unvaccinated is the very young.
Omicron hasn't even been around for 200 days. Maybe these are Delta Patients, and I highly suspect the quote off 200 days. Untrue on the unvaccinated once again. The raw data does NOT show this to be true. Show me data, not news stories put out by the media whether liberal or conservative. It also has been shown that the great majority of kids in the hospital have NOT been admitted/treated BECAUSE of Omicron, but they happen to have Omicron when admitted/treated with few or NO symptoms. Major, HUGE difference. Once again, where are you getting your info? Stop spreading false information.

Not made up, nor imagined, this report was from our WSHA chief yesterday.

According to the DOH, 93.5% of covid deaths as of Nov were unvaccinated.
...but happen to have Omicron when admitted/treated.
As stated in the factual article. The number has doubled leading to the plea for parents and caregivers in contact with children to get vaccinated. It's bad enough that they are sick, without the added risks of covid.

Last edited:
A few days ago one county in lower Michigan reported their first detected omicron case. Today’s news has another lower Michigan county detecting their first omicron case. Yet we have been breaking records for new cases for quite some time. It’s gotta be primarily Delta still, at least in some places.

Just over a week ago I suffered through another bowel blockage. I would have gone to the hospital if it weren’t for the Covid situation, because I could get a rupture and die. So I took my chances and stayed home. Finally feeling somewhat ok today thankfully. Last two required surgery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.