Have Omicron? can't smell pvc cement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately according to your last statement (if you're only referring to wearing a mask)you will never be able to remove the mask.
I doubt it but maybe. I know it's different for everyone, but I find I don't have to wear a mask much of the time, easily less than an hour a day on average.

Ok guys everyone be nice or the thread is going to get closed. I know we can disagree but still have a civil discussion if everyone tries.

Reactions: fire_man and enordy
As I was posting this I got the 5 day retest come back as positive too. So 12/30 and 1/5 positive results, ordered another test for Monday.

Good thing I've still got 10 'free' sick days.
Enjoy the benefits while they last. In my neck of the woods it seems like the well deserved benefits just keep getting chipped away.

I'm watching this one for the 7 day hospital bed trend, you can get the data there for most individual states as well. We still have capacity nationally but it looks to be about the lowest number of beds available to date, we have about 15k/19% ICU beds free nationally. Staff attrition seems to slightly decrease the total maximum beds I guess. Probably not a great time to injure yourself for the next few weeks if you had the choice. Some people might not know why the beds are being used at a higher rate, or they might think that these beds numbers are too mainstream, horses for courses. At least count your blessings if you live in Texas where they have 7% ICU beds available this last week. They'll be OK as long as they don't net more than 440 new ICU admits in the whole state this week. 👌
🤏

I'm watching this one for the 7 day hospital bed trend, you can get the data there for most individual states as well. We still have capacity nationally but it looks to be about the lowest number of beds available to date, we have about 15k/19% ICU beds free nationally. Staff attrition seems to slightly decrease the total maximum beds I guess. Probably not a great time to injure yourself for the next few weeks if you had the choice. Some people might not know why the beds are being used at a higher rate, or they might think that these beds numbers are too mainstream, horses for courses. At least count your blessings if you live in Texas where they have 7% ICU beds available this last week. They'll be OK as long as they don't net more than 440 new ICU admits in the whole state this week. 👌
🤏
Hospital /beds are built to be always 95% full. They don't build extra just in case. Its a business first.
During flu outbreaks of the past, hospitals are usually full. In NYC people have been kept in hallways waiting for beds. Nothing new. Our system isn't built for a large surge of sick.

Whew these hospital admins must be really bad at their jobs, as they're usually nowhere near 95% full. Unfortunately when the pandemic "ended after the election" the hospitals got more full several times inexplicably. Now with a little light cold or flu, they are the most full in two years. Bummer. My aunt is the dean of medicine at a little ~1000 bed hospital, she never mentioned the 95% design to me, I'll ask her next time I see her. (Don't hold your breath, I usually avoid her she's a bit nuts) The data folks and epidemiologists at Johns Hopkins are gonna be really disappointed with this news too, maybe they can take some time off and go ice fishing! (I love ice fishing) Do you have the 95% rule on paper, I'll send it to her so she knows how many people to fire...
Me I just stay out of the hospital, especially with 8-16+ hour wait times in the local ER, which is totally normal as well I guess, I wouldn't actually know since I rarely show up there. One time I had a kidney stone and they just took me in and did a little CT and gave me a room, nice folks, but there was no waiting in those days. Now they pulled the nice nurse out of my wife's colocated urgent care to go work OT at the hospital, not sure why. It's a heck of a confusing industry. I'd ask my wife as she's a doc too, but I think she's checked out now all she does is roll her eyes and threaten me with the dog house! ...

Reactions: Dan Freeman
One time I had a kidney stone and they just took me in and did a little CT and gave me a room, nice folks, but there was no waiting in those days.
I've been there, done that and would dread a long wait if I had a do-over. Same thing here, had a CT, then a room w/ nice people and pain killers.

A friend just had a heart attack and fortunatly he got right in and they took care of him fast.

I continue to be amazed by the mass formation psychosis within this country, but weak minds are open to just about anything.

Oh, btw...I can't quote anyone here study for study. All depends on what "study" you want to quote and where you get it from. The media has plenty of "studies" (as does our "reliable government") that just don't hold water. Do the RAW DATA research yourself. It's out there if you dig down for it, but that would take work, and to start, don't rely on Google if you really want the truth. Too easy just to take the "popular" stance. I'm kind of tired with wasting my time with those who are already "convinced" and want us all to be. That's part of mass formation psychosis.

Have a good evening everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey
I continue to be amazed by the mass formation psychosis within this country, but weak minds are open to just about anything.

Oh, btw...I can't quote anyone here study for study. All depends on what "study" you want to quote and where you get it from. The media has plenty of "studies" (as does our "reliable government") that just don't hold water. Do the RAW DATA research yourself. It's out there if you dig down for it, but that would take work, and to start, don't rely on Google if you really want the truth. Too easy just to take the "popular" stance. I'm kind of tired with wasting my time with those who are already "convinced" and want us all to be. That's part of mass formation psychosis.

So in other words you can't back up the claims you are making?

So in other words you can't back up the claims you are making?
No, I could continue, but I'm not at this point which I am sure you will try to "spin" as my defeat. LOL. I am very comfortable with my research and finished wasting my time with you as you really are not open to other possibilities. Like I said, do the raw research and stop relying on media and Google,

Out for now. I'll check in tomorrow night.

Reactions: clancey
No, I could continue, but I'm not at this point which I am sure you will try to "spin" as my defeat. LOL. I am very comfortable with my research and finished wasting my time with you as you really are not open to other possibilities. Like I said, do the raw research and stop relying on media and Google,

Hmmm you have proof but don't want to share it. That makes perfect sense.

it's a big topic here and there is a lot of information out there starting with doing your own research..When a family member gets into a hospital and there are treatments out there for keeping people out of the serious range and having to be put on the vent and these treatments save people's lives--all over the world but big pharma and the corrupt political world are preventing you from saving your love ones lives---then talk about it and do your own research and you can start now--for I am sure you are online experts here and know how to use the computer to look up different things and i could give you at least five professional websites to check out but I won't because I do not want the negative "bs" comments that you would make about these very brave and very educated people trying to save your lives and the lives of your love ones. Listen to your corrupt politicians and you can start with the x governor of NY who let thousands of old people die in nursing homes because of his "conflicts" "whatever they may be" as well as other politicians who just do not care about "common peoples lives"...Whether you believe this or not---This is biological warfare and we have been sold out...I cannot say anything more stronger than this and I am only saying it so that I can live my small unimportant life trying to give warning to the people who I have learned to like on this forum because of their simple lives having christian values and simple unpretentious goals in life...Wait until you have a love one in the hospital who is in bad shape and you cannot even see them as well as them "dying alone" as they fight people to not put the vent in them after they drug the person in order to do this...This happens and my brother died alone because my name was not on the list..Yea my writing on this topic is over too and this is all I can do to try to warn people like you..So do you own research..old mrs clancey

He says he is finished wasting his time but keeps coming back for more. Perhaps he is not so sure of himself after all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
As a PhD scientist, I can say unequivocally that people who say "do your own research" do not know what they are talking about.

You can find opinions, you can find written up results of (true scientific) research. And you can form an opinion based on that. That is NOT research, and the outcome of this process is rather unreliable. It is an opinion, not (scientifically accepted) fact.

The problem is that the human mind is very easily accepting of information (opinions or proper research reports) that are consistent with what one wants to be the truth. And the problem is that people that have zero experience in doing research, often have a hard time distinguishing opinion from research results and conclusions.

As a result of these two issues, a lot of opinions that are not based on reality are thought to be the truth.

Last edited:
Great points, Stoveliker. We dealt with a similar problem in Engineering when mangagement did not like our proposed solutions to expensive problems. They wanted to believe X but the data said the solution was Y. It often took twice the effort to convince them when high dollars were involved or when the schedule could slip.

I see the same sort of thing playing out in our politics and with the Pandemic, no matter how much evidence is presented, there is no convincing someone with a pre-conceived notion.

So listen - I'm educated, probably less than some on this site ;lol. My BS is in biology, I keep abreast of information and I like to think that I practice "media literacy". I digest everything presented and then throw out what seems like a bunch of horse****. I believe that a person has to bring a cynical eye to many things on the internet, and so I appreciate your emphasis on raw data.

The great (or terrible) thing about data is that it can be manipulated to serve any person's interest. If they want to cry Chicken Little, they can make the numbers work. If they want to blow off Covid, they can do that, too. This is why I also appreciate your distrust of many mainstream websites.

I'm not lazy and if I wanted to spend a goodly amount of time digging for raw data, I'm sure I could find it. I am honestly curious about the raw data sources you were able to find, and I wouldn't mind you pointing me (us) in the right direction. Maybe sharing your source(s) with the group will allow for a better understanding of your perspective.

In my opinion, sharing unbiased information (raw data) with folks helps them make more informed decisions about how to act in the world they live in today. If you can help us look at this objectively from a different perspective, I think the thread and its participants would benefit greatly from your sharing.

Eric

Reactions: semipro and bholler
I have to say that raw data are nearly impossible to interpret and draw reliable conclusions from if one does not know how the data were obtained, what the boundary conditions are, and if one does not have a good grasp of statistics and the formal logic one needs to draw scientifically reliable conclusions. (That, indeed, are often accompanied by a lot of caveats and limits to validity courtesy of the boundary conditions noted earlier.)

I can't believe this thread is still open...so I'm jumping in before its closed...

In my area pre covid ...some hospitals er was 4 to 5 hour wait...if you did get in early for a bed it was still a long wait...

We do have a nursing shortage and hospital staffing pay issues...

Some people don't want to go to urgent care or stand in line outside....or don't want to pay so they go to er....some delayed treatment....and I'm confident covid and flu has caused an increase especially in open beds...but hospitals and healthcare plans are cheap....I have 3 in my family...two nurses and administrator...they all work at different locations.

So far I read one state is forcing nursing homes to take covid patients.

This run on test strip is the latest con.
I don't want my tax dollars being spent on test strips....I'd rather see masks or help poor, homeless, veterans or addicts. Some people are using them and are too confident.

Can't wait to see what the percentage of test strip fail just like some n95 masks. Yes all batches of masks have a failure rate. You can see the studies the government does on large bulk orders. But our govt can't get masks and the stores cant stock the n95.

I wear a mask and got two shots but I'm not getting 3 or 4 jabs in a year....
I'm waiting. Too many people are getting covid near me and they are vaccinated. It's clear the news and govt are playing games.

The covid issue is political but that doesn't mean we shouldn't wear a n95 mask and still live a life.

Schools is OPEN buts school sports have stopped again in my area but nba nfl can still have fans? Odd. Congress flying around and eating dinner with no mask....but others get dragged out of plane and arrested or cant fly or eat dinner? All Odd

I see both sides...

Last week I drove by a testing site in concord mass and the line had two cars....but NYC has a mile long line of people freezing outside....whose fault is that?

I hope the op is feeling better.

Reactions: enordy and bholler
I have to say I agree w/ the skepticism about all this do your own research stuff. As pointed out cognitive bias, sometimes called confirmation bias is a tough thing to overcome and something everyone is susceptible to. So just a couple points as I see it.

Masks were not invented to combat covid, neither were vaccines or hand washing or any of the other measures that are recommended to help limit transmission. For better or worse these are the tools we currently have at our disposal. The recommendations are the same for any similarly transmitted virus and have been developed over years of professional research and application. The recommendations have been made because up until now, there is a fairly significant risk associated w/ this virus, esp to some in the pop.

So IMO you can't first tell me about the sequencing of the virus, its classification or the omicron variant causing less severe symptoms, or any of the other things we know and that are being reported, then ignore the rest of what the science is saying, and that the experts recommend because you did your own research and found something that fits a preconceived notion.

I do have to apologize as I actually don't care about anyone' beliefs on this really (you do you), which is part of why we moved in 2020 and will continue to move to further remote locations over time. I just have a really twisted sardonic bent so I tend to poke people with sticks too much sometimes for no good reason. Mostly I just like data, it's sort of a leisurely past time to keep me occupied as the world burns. Damn there I go again...

Anyway while I like to watch the hospitals at this phase of each rolling train wreck, I will be watching another set of stats in a month or two, right now this is not exciting in the US as we're in a nice safe lull, but I want to see what it ends up looking like this time. The Economist is a pretty right wing rag these days, but I love that they keep this data set updated, horrifically fascinating stuff. Bookmark this one too if you like data, it's really well done: https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/coronavirus-excess-deaths-tracker

Reactions: jatoxico
so 20% more people dying than normal is a nice lull? (That is, disregarding the last two datapoints.)

Well, it's as nice a lull as you're gonna get in this disinformation environment I think... When eating a crap sandwich, sometimes when you get a nibble around the edges that is mostly crust and bread you can be relatively thankful... Maybe... 😬

Status
Not open for further replies.