Hearthstone Castleton vs Lopi Evergreen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Draco

Nov 16, 2021
Minnesota
I am brand new to woodstoves so I don't have alot of knowledge as to what I should get for my first stove. The reason I am getting one is do to current prices of propane and prices most likely going up and unknown circumstances of a possible electric outage. I live in Minnesota where we get very fridged temperatures at times so I need something that will have no problem heating my home.

I really like the Hearthstone Castleton but I'm not sure the firebox is big enough when trying to heat my drafty 100 year old house. Even though I will only be heating about 700 square feet. And I don't really know what to think of the new catalist (I may be spelling that wrong) things they have in the new stoves now which has me leaning towards a Lopi Evergreen. The Lopi has a 2.2 cubic foot fire box vs a 1.9 that the Hearthstone has and the Lopi to my understanding does not have the catalist. I also would want an overnight burn and not sure the Hearthstone Castleton could achieve that with such a small firebox?? What do you guys think I should get? Thanks!