• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoepified

Oct 28, 2015
upstate ny
I have a hearthstone II G and a Hearthstone II gemini system that were given to me by a friend. I cant Find any info on the gemini system anywhere. My friend was told that these are no longer legal to use. what I can figure out is that the woodstove is a regular old woodstove and the gemini system was a natural gas option you could buy that could be turned on or off and thermostatically controlled. There is only one outlet for exhaust and smoke. I think this may have something to do with the issue.
Does anyone know anything about this? is it safe/ legal? might this just be some building inspector who doesn't know so he says it's illegal? Is it possible to change it to propane? If not, can i just install the wood stove without the gas option? I have included pictures of the plaques... i think

I can't see why it would be unsafe to use with the gas system capped or removed. It's best to ask the local inspecting authority if they have any issues.

I have a hearthstone II G and a Hearthstone II gemini system that were given to me by a friend. I cant Find any info on the gemini system anywhere. My friend was told that these are no longer legal to use. what I can figure out is that the woodstove is a regular old woodstove and the gemini system was a natural gas option you could buy that could be turned on or off and thermostatically controlled. There is only one outlet for exhaust and smoke. I think this may have something to do with the issue.
Does anyone know anything about this? is it safe/ legal? might this just be some building inspector who doesn't know so he says it's illegal? Is it possible to change it to propane? If not, can i just install the wood stove without the gas option? I have included pictures of the plaques... i think
We have a stove like this, just replaced it with a new stove. The Hearthstone II with the Gemini System ran on Natural Gas. I don't think it can be converted to propane. The stove is not an airtight stove because of the hole for the gas system. It will leak air even when the gas module is installed. Therefore; when you burn wood, you have to be careful that the stove doesn't "run away" on you. The stove (I believe) is not illegal to use, but can't be sold by stores anymore. We thought about putting a piece of soapstone over the hole in the back and making the stove just an airtight woodburner....but we were able to purchase a new stove instead. If all is working properly, you load the stove with wood and get your fire going. when the fire dies out and the room cools down, the thermostat calls for heat and the gas turns on and heats the stove. It is not as efficient on gas, and will not produce as much heat as it will with wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.