Heat Pump Water Heaters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So it's been 19 or so days with the new waterheater. In the time I've used 164 Kwh and around 11 days with the old heater. According to my previous reading on the electric bill, I've used about 1081 kwh this billing cycle. Last billing cycle was 1377 kwh and the year prior was 1590 kwh. I'm excited and I've also noticed as I've been using the woodfurnace, the usage has been lower with the HPWH. That's quite a savings and it will get better next month (that is until the pool starts back up). Also, no more dehumidifier running since the water heater is taking care of the humidity. We currently are in the works of a new heating and cooling system (no ac now) and eventually a new fandangled wood furnace.

Tell us more about that "new fandangled wood furnace".

Eric

Tell us more about that "new fandangled wood furnace".

Eric
Ahhhh.....just a computer controlled model. The man that came out for the estimate for heating and cooling was shocked about the size of the house but impressed by its comfort. I got the HPWH and a heat commander will be next lol.

Reactions: trx250r87
First thread that came up in the search heatpump water heater. Trying to track down an unusually high electric usage yesterday. See pics.

Anyway. I’m pretty sure the my heatpump water heater was using resistive heat. This has happened before. Can’t tell why. No error codes. We went on vacation for two weeks. Got back Sunday morning first demand was last night. A quick power cycle seems to reset and fix the issue.

I’m not sure one would notice unless they had the ability to track daily and hourly usage. Down to the 15 minute interval identified it as a constant load.

Technology isn’t foolproof.

07B2868C-6D30-4B3B-B2EC-5537EDCECCB5.png 4EF26B1E-B4CF-4AAA-B443-0D243BAA12DF.png

First thread that came up in the search heatpump water heater. Trying to track down an unusually high electric usage yesterday. See pics.

Anyway. I’m pretty sure the my heatpump water heater was using resistive heat. This has happened before. Can’t tell why. No error codes. We went on vacation for two weeks. Got back Sunday morning first demand was last night. A quick power cycle seems to reset and fix the issue.

I’m not sure one would notice unless they had the ability to track daily and hourly usage. Down to the 15 minute interval identified it as a constant load.

Interesting, what HPWH do you have? I wonder if you had a brown out or power outage or lightning strike nearby while you were gone?

That is one of the good things about having Sense is I can get an alert if power use goes up and I can go back and look in real time and see which device was using the power (if sense remembers it).

View attachment 297363 View attachment 297364
I remember reading about a few brands that still use the elements no matter what as its built into the software logic. I think it might have been the Rheem and another brand. Someone went through the patents and discovered they will still use the elements quite often under certain situations.

What brand and model tank is it? If it's a Rheem that is most likely what's happening. I'll see if you can find the link I read.

It’s the Bradfordwhite branded geo spring.

It’s the Bradfordwhite branded geo spring.
I have the 2nd generation Geospring thats been running in heat pump only mode for 9 years . Are you running it in heat pump only mode?

The Geospring is one of the few hpwh that can run in heat pump only mode and not use the elements. My elements actually disintegrated on my geospring a few years back as I never used them. Even if you disconnect them the Geospring will still run in heat pump only. I have also confirmed with my Emporia vue energy monitor the elements never come on when set to heat pump only mode.

Look into the Emporia vue. Its only $150 and you can monitor 15 circuits with it with 1 second resolution. You can set it to trigger alerts. I can't tell you how many times my wife has left the oven on and I get an alert.

Here is a screenshot of my geospring on my Emporia. It's set to heat pump only mode and as you can see off the peak monthly demand the elements never came on. I average 1-2 kwhs a day in electricity consumption. Only used an incredible 36.9 kwh so far this month.

Screenshot_20220726-153240.jpg

Is this what Bradford-White calls the AeroTherm today?

I have the 2nd generation Geospring thats been running in heat pump only mode for 9 years . Are you running it in heat pump only mode?

The Geospring is one of the few hpwh that can run in heat pump only mode and not use the elements. My elements actually disintegrated on my geospring a few years back as I never used them. Even if you disconnect them the Geospring will still run in heat pump only. I have also confirmed with my Emporia vue energy monitor the elements never come on when set to heat pump only mode.

Look into the Emporia vue. Its only $150 and you can monitor 15 circuits with it with 1 second resolution. You can set it to trigger alerts. I can't tell you how many times my wife has left the oven on and I get an alert.

Here is a screenshot of my geospring on my Emporia. It's set to heat pump only mode and as you can see off the peak monthly demand the elements never came on. I average 1-2 kwhs a day in electricity consumption. Only used an incredible 36.9 kwh so far this month.

View attachment 297371
I run heatpump only except when it’s really cold.

Is this what Bradford-White calls the AeroTherm today?
Yes. they got the geo spring and re branded it.