Heating Oil was at $1.85 a gallon, It's on the rise again!!! $2.09 today http://www.cashoil.com/

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok- I did the math- 360 gals.,basing it on the price I just paid for 100 gals. of oil @ $1.92-got a discount from brother. And that probaly wont happen ever again.The pellets were $645 for the 3 ton,the oil was $691.20. The gas for the truck to go get it. Nothing in savings-based on 360 gals.,But- at the same time there are other considerations to keep in mind, and I feel they tip the scale in favor of pellets.1. We like keeping the money more local at home. 2. The heat from the pellets far outweighs the heat from the furnace registers,so toasty,as we are more zoned in and can also enjoy the flame. My butt gets sore after a fashion from sitting on top of the registers.Us and just about everyone who comes in, comments on the heat and how nice it feels.3. We know the price is definitely not going to stay low-once it goes up-it'll go back to killing our budget-and it'll take a snails pace in remodeling this house.4. There is a savings in the electric bill from not running the oil furnace so much-even with the stove going 24 hr a day.This year,there actually was a savings only because we use around 500 plus gallons in reality-and what we paid for the original price of the first 100 gals @ $3.00.Anyways this year cost us a total of $1300.00,compared to last years price before the pellet stove install, of $2000.00 trying to stay warm at overinflated oil prices. We are enjoying the stove alot, even with the additional maintenence,and would like another installed in the dining room,as long as we could sell our propane "Lil' Hammer" for a reasonable price. It simply means we're choosing to switch our fuel source. We now have a small generator to run the stove just in case of power failure. 5. I can run the stove anytime of year- if its just a chilly period-like a rainy day,without overheating the whole house. So I got to say that zone heating for us is preferred over registers.6. I think its a bit cleaner on the woodwork too,other than the floor around the stove where I usually make a mess.I see more dust fly up from the registers on a sunny day-even though I vac them out. So I think the pellets won out...

Last night, I switched from using pellets to using Oil and turned my furnace on to heat my house.

Pellets are $300/ton in central mass. Oil is $2.14/gallon.

I use about 130 gallons to heat my house/month which equals $278.20.

hoprus.gif

From looking at the above graph, oil will continue to drop in price.

If pellets drop to $200/ton, I will switch back, but I don't see that happening until the Spring.

My big mistake last year was not stocking up on pellets in the Spring. I tried to buy them at Home Depot last April but they were out of stock. I should have had them delivered. This Spring, I will stock up at least 4 tons if Pellets are closer to $200/ton.

Edited to add... I switched back after only a few days....burning pellets again!

the ecomony is going to rebound just as sure as the sun comes up.It always does. The housing market will get straightened out-etc.,I just heard this morning that stock prices went up a smidge for oil,,it may take some time-but it will go back up. we're choosing to yank out our furnace and tank this summer. we're all done messing around with oil-and will have other choices and I dont care how low it goes-or how long it stays there...which I know wont be for long.

$2.05 today

2.38 in B -more....

VT.....How do you like your Santa Fe?.....Any problems to speak of?

Have had my Santa Fe since mid November and have had no problems at all. Knock on wood.

The only thing I do to it besides add pellets is dump the burn pot every evening and give it a good cleaning once a week.

I've had mine about a week.....So far so good.....

Just filled up today, $2.25/gal. Burned 9gal since 1st Dec.

A little while ago my oil dealer for 20+ years sent me a "reminder letter" that said they missed me! The feeling wasn't mutual, of course... Long story short, they offered to let me get oil for $2.49 a gallon, down from their usual $2.69 a gallon if I ordered a minimum of 150 gallons. I wonder if they get many folks to take them up on their special offer? I can call a couple oil dealers in the Gardner MA area and pay cash and get it delivered for $2.09 a gallon (unless it went up this week). How can there be a 60 cents per gallon difference from 2 oil dealers 45 minutes apart?
Might be changing oil dealers just long enough to fill the tank for those "just in case" moments when I might (gasp) run out of pellets!

I am seeing the price of propane rise in California as well. It has gone up about 30 cents over the last few weeks. I still think that pellets at $5.85 a bag are hard to beat as far as heating your home goes.

My daughter just had 100 gallons put in at $2.36 a gal. here in central maine.Thats all they have for heat-which is crazy. I've been talking to her about this for 3 years-to have a back-up source.They've lost power 3 times for short periods so far this winter-so ,,no heat.A house can cool down pretty fast in just 2-3 hrs...

We burn Kerosene..it is now down a bit from the $4.79 a gallon we paid last year..it's currently $3.11 per gallon. I bought 5 ton of pellets at $230.00 a ton..Pellets are a no
brainer for me...I can only hope to get a similar price this spring/summer and become a PELLET PIG...

Status
Not open for further replies.