Hello New Member

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daren Bracey

Aug 30, 2011
South MS (deep south)
Have been lurking in the shadows of this very informative site for a while, and have enjoyed learning about heating with wood. Our house is a 1.5 story (2,500 sf) the bottom floor is appx. 1300 sf and the upstairs is appx.1200 sf that is heated central natural gas. With the economy, and energy prices as they are now, I have decided to look at an alternative heating source. Granted that we are in a mild climate down here, and do not use the quantity of heating oil that you guys in the north go through each winter, and our payout will take longer, I think that we can cut our utility cost substantially by hearing with wood.

I am planning on installing a Buck 81 stove into our masonry fireplace (before the end of September), that has a useless gas-logs there now. Our Chimney is exterior masonry with (2) 11"X11" clay lined flues, I plan to block off one side and put a 6" SS liner in the other. There was never any wood burned in the fireplace so the chimney is squeaky clean.

I also have about a cord and a half of oak that was split last fall, so I should be good on wood, as our weather fluctuates a good bit, and will not have to burn much during the day on warmer days, but will have to learn the stove and what works the best for our situation, but am looking forward to some cooler weather, and an opportunity to light a fire. Also will be helping some neighbors taking down a couple oaks in the near future to split and season for next years supply.

I am sure to have some questions along the way for you guys, and will have to try to post some picture's when we get the Buck installed.

Daren

Find a way to get a little more wood. You use more wood in the first year when you are learning how to burn. Also, it is always good to be ahead of the game when it comes to your wood supply.

Welcome to the fold...good to have another person from the south on here. I am looking into a Buck stove as well. They seem like the popular stove for the south... Keep reading and listening to these good folks and good luck with your plans.

First off welcome to the forum. Great group of people here so any questions you have even if you think it is a dumb question ask away. Everyone here is always willing to help, even though you may get some ribbing or some toungue in cheek responses it is all in good fun.

As Browning said get more wood !!!! It is always better to have more than less. Once you figure approx what you will burn in a season, try and get 3 years ahead if you can. One never knows what life will throw at you and this way you have some flexibility if for some reason you are unable to aquire wood one year.

Shawn

Welcome to the forum Daren.

A word of warning on wood. You will find that different types of wood takes different amounts of time to dry. The oak you got last year might or might not be ready. My bet is that it is not ready to burn. Although you have longer summers when wood will dry the best, we always figure on 3 years after oak has been cut and split before we burn it. It is just the nature of oak that it takes longer to dry than it does other woods. Just so long as you are aware of this... It might be good if you can locate some other dry wood before winter. There are many other woods that do not take as long to dry. Also, never count drying time until it has been split and stacked out where the wind will hit the wood pile. Don't stack green wood right into a shed as it will dry better and faster out in the wind.

Dennis, thanks for the drying advise, I split a piece of the stuff that was c/s/s in the open last fall and it was 25% and sounds like a baseball bat, so I think that I will be fine, and the stove is not a cat so that should help also. I have been checking around with wood suppliers, and they seem to cut in the winter, leave in logs and split around this time of year and call it seasoned. I do not think that this is ideal to say the least, but this is what a lot of people will be dealing with. I will be cutting and spliting some wood this fall stacking in the open to season for the future.

Thanks again,

Daren

Daren that is very common to cut during winter and then split just before they deliver. Most don't want to handle that wood any more than necessary so just go with that method. Besides, "It worked with Grandpa and Dad so it will work now." Well, the new stoves demand dry wood and that drying does not happen until it has been split and stacked out in the wind.

Be sure to visit The Wood Shed which is part of hearth.com as there are many more wood burners who visit that forum and may not go here. These guys have lots of knowledge they are willing to part with.

Considering your location you maybe in line for some substantial savings on your heating bills this year. Up here in the north I plan for 4-5 cords of 24 hr burning and occasional use of the central heating when needed. Like you, I also have 2500 sq ft of heated space and when the temps get into the mid teens here I have to use the second stove the help at the rear of the 1st floor. Looks to me you will do just fine...welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.