Highbeam's Blaze King Ultra install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd and I have spoken pretty regularly over the years and he contributed to the deicision. I offered to sent him a stove or parts since my dealer's prices were pretty good. These cat stoves are definitely more complicated to operate. The wife couldn't believe all the rules but I'm sure we'll get a rhythm down.

Big question for cat stoves. Can I use my little chunks of fire starter? I bought the box at walmart and chopped them up into golf ball sized chunks that work great for firestarting. They surely have some wax and also sawdust looking stuff. The manual specifies no coal or liquid starters but says nothing about wax.

I found a bunch of black and white paper for the first startup. BK did NOT include a supercedar in my stove.

Also, the cat was ceramic, not SS and my stove was made in July of 2011. Nice big holes that look hard to clog.

I think you'll find it really simple to use. The only real rules are to feed it dry wood, and make sure it's hot enough to close the bypass. And don't just open the door when the cat is hot, thermal shock is bad. My wife was a pro by the first time I was gone for work. Super easy once you determine what t-stat settings work for you with given weather conditions.

Your firestarter will be all burned up before you send any smoke through the cat. You won't use very many. I lit the first one in early December, then shut it down at the end of January to check the chimney. I let it go cold a couple of times during the spring. I think I lit four of them.

Reading these posts from you new owners gets me ready to go install mine. I am leaving Michigan in the morning for home and I might just have to go to the warehouse on Sunday and get mine set back in place. One thing I did notice during the first few months (when mine was still sealed) was that my wife was far more proficient at its operation that I. She was all too content to load it and leave it alone while I had a hard time doing so, it just didn't seem right! If your stove works as well as mine did I am sure you will never look back. I sure hope mine is back to its old self again this year and for many more!

Jason

Have the BK stoves always used this thickness of steel?

Maybe someone else knows for sure. When you look across the top of the stove you can see the distortion in the sheet from where items are welded from below. It's not bad but it's no 1/2" plate or anything. The weight of this monster sized stove is supposed to be 350# and that includes a double layer of firebrick on the bottom and 36" tall stove on a pedestal.

Unless it warps or burns out, it will be adequate. Not impressive, but adequate.

You should be fine.

I thought they were SuperCeder resellers?

They purchase thousands of Super Cedars per year, and have done so for 10 years. Check with the dealer who sold you the stove and find out whats up with your Super Cedar !

Thomas

I've never had a clogged cat. Even with the tiny honeycomb holes that VC cats have.

Maybe someone else knows for sure. When you look across the top of the stove you can see the distortion in the sheet from where items are welded from below. It's not bad but it's no 1/2" plate or anything. The weight of this monster sized stove is supposed to be 350# and that includes a double layer of firebrick on the bottom and 36" tall stove on a pedestal.

Unless it warps or burns out, it will be adequate. Not impressive, but adequate.

Maybe they can get away with thinner steel because the stove is so controllable and there's less chance of overfire and warpage?

The weight of this monster sized stove is supposed to be 350# and that includes a double layer of firebrick on the bottom and 36" tall stove on a pedestal.

Kind of surprising that it weighs 125lbs less than the 30.

According to the BK brocher the Princess Parlor/Classic weighs in at 385 and the Ultra is 430. Still pretty light, my tiny Keystone weighs 440.

Page 15 of your owner's manual, PE/PEJ1006 total weight with bricks is 350 lbs. The king model is listed as 410 lbs.

Not surprised to see more than one weight listed. I've noted other mistakes in the literature vs. brochures.

Oh and I only got the regular 6 year cat warranty, no extra deal.

Maybe you have an older stove and manual? Page 15 in my manual is safety stuff but page 18 shows the weight your stating.

My 10 year combustor extended warranty certificate states the original warranty on the cat as stated in the owners manual is still in effect, the 10 year extention only covers the original cat against defect in manufacturing or materials. Then it goes on about other stuff but it never states what the pro rate is after 6 years like the manual. Maybe they are extending the 6 year 80% pro rate to 10 years? I'd be surprised as a 24/7 burner to see the cat last 10 years but I think North of 60 is going on 6 years with his original cat. It doesn't really matter to me anyways, if it poops out in 3 years you get a free one, after that I don't mind paying for one if the stove performs as advertised.

Maybe you have an older stove and manual?

Perhaps. My stove was manufactured in July of 2011. Maybe some changes were made. I have noticed broken links in the manual and some other silly mistakes which would suggest that pages were added or removed.

My stove came directly from the factory and was built a couple weeks ago. Maybe this is a new warranty for this year?

Each day I come to work, I wonder how much Mt. Dew I will need to get through the day. Then I read all your posts on Hearth.com and laugh all day long.

On a serious note, I wanted to clarify the Sirocco 20 price topic. The stove body does have a retail of $1692 as the dealer quoted. A black door should add another few bucks as would fans and a convection deck. (You would have to order the convection deck if you ordered the fans as that is how they are anchored at the top rear of the stove.

I will pass on the comments about the welding splatter to our QC at both factories.

At some point in time Highbeam, you might try some of the Northwest Idaho Energy logs. Throw 2-3 in the fire or bed of coals and really enjoy even longer burn times.

Thank you for purchasing one of our stoves...staying warm will be the easy part.....and yes, leave the fire alone as per Hiram Maxim.

Status
Not open for further replies.