Homemade Firewood Tumbler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mlappin

Mar 24, 2014
North Liberty, IN
I’m looking to build a firewood tumbler, I’ve seen this on another forum but a couple of old rear tractor rims for the bands, then instead of pipe I planned on angle iron with the thought that the square edge might knock more bark off.

What I’m wondering is what are the spacing between the pipes on the commercial units?

I already have a firewood processor and if I get a tumbler built I may go with some of the mesh bulk bags I’ve seen em using in Europe.

For some reason this post reminded me of those rock tumblers from when I was a kid that you could buy to polish rocks smooth and shiny . . . I pictured you with a tumbler polishing your wood smooth.

On a serious note . . . not that I can really add to this conversation . . . but why are you wanting to remove the bark from your firewood?

For some reason this post reminded me of those rock tumblers from when I was a kid that you could buy to polish rocks smooth and shiny . . . I pictured you with a tumbler polishing your wood smooth.

On a serious note . . . not that I can really add to this conversation . . . but why are you wanting to remove the bark from your firewood?
What is a fire wood tumbler? I guess I could google it.

Removing bark speeds drying considerably. Plus, it's cathartic, requires concentration, being in "the moment". Probably not much more productive than meditation, but similar result. Lots cheaper than a therapist.

I have use of my uncles firewood processor for basically maintaining it and storing when not in use. I ran a hundred ash trees thru it last winter, haul that home and dump it, then shove into a big pile with the tracked skid steer, ash trees are getting bad enough by time you process it, run it up the elevator into the dump truck, dump it on the slab, then shove into a pile, the bark comes of and ends up in the pile, bark in the pile prevents drying as it acts like a sponge and blocks any airflow.

36859843894_4bf541035a_b.jpgUntitled by Marty Lappin, on Flickr

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I have use of my uncles firewood processor for basically maintaining it and storing when not in use. I ran a hundred ash trees thru it last winter, haul that home and dump it, then shove into a big pile with the tracked skid steer, ash trees are getting bad enough by time you process it, run it up the elevator into the dump truck, dump it on the slab, then shove into a pile, the bark comes of and ends up in the pile, bark in the pile prevents drying as it acts like a sponge and blocks any airflow.

View attachment 201041Untitled by Marty Lappin, on Flickr

Hmmmm. that photo looks more like something I would mulch my garden beds with than put in my woodstove!

A guy could probably get some worn out gravel screens and set them up to dump through.

Yah, its a real mess to dig thru it and fill the racks.

I do the cutting and the wife likes stacking wood, however trying to stand in that mess tends to try her patience. I put the rock bucket on the skid steer once in awhile and sort thru the mess.

Firewood tumbler:

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yah, its a real mess to dig thru it and fill the racks.

I do the cutting and the wife likes stacking wood, however trying to stand in that mess tends to try her patience. I put the rock bucket on the skid steer once in awhile and sort thru the mess.

Firewood tumbler:

That a real slick operation. Enjoyed the video.

Yah, lots of different setups out there.

Here’s mine/my uncles, seems like I worked on it as long as I used it last winter. First the pump would either suck air and foam the oil right out of the reservoir, or if it did prime sometimes it’d blow the seal out the end just running with no pressure on the system. Just too much internal wear to be worth rebuilding, that and it was so old no kits were to be had from Prince or elsewhere. Bought a new pump and placed a very large screen and magnetic strainer ahead of it like it should of had in the first place. Also had to replace the oil cooler.

After getting rear ended years ago the pump was too much to wrestle onto the tractor PTO stub so I mounted it solid to the processor frame and use a PTO shaft to drive it.

I added the chute to connect to the conveyor years ago. Had to build a new conveyor this year as well, old one was so shot the chain would fall apart with no wood even on it, had less in buying a old ear corn conveyor at an auction than new conveyor chain would have cost for the old one. Also added an auto length to it years ago as well as a bar oil warmer so it’d stop eating pumps all the time.

Video of running ash trees last winter:

Last edited:
Yah, lots of different setups out there.

Here’s mine/my uncles, seems like I worked on it as long as I used it last winter. First the pump would either suck air and foam the oil right out of the reservoir, or if it did prime sometimes it’d blow the seal out the end just running with no pressure on the system. Just too much internal wear to be worth rebuilding, that and it was so old no kits were to be had from Prince or elsewhere. Bought a new pump and placed a very large screen and magnetic strainer ahead of it like it should of had in the first place. Also had to replace the oil cooler.

After getting rear ended years ago the pump was too much to wrestle onto the tractor PTO stub so I mounted it solid to the processor frame and use a PTO shaft to drive it.

I added the chute to connect to the conveyor years ago. Had to build a new conveyor this year as well, old one was so shot the chain would fall apart with no wood even on it, had less in buying a old ear corn conveyor at an auction than new conveyor chain would have cost for the old one. Also added an auto length to it years ago as well as a bar oil warmer so it’d stop eating pumps all the time.

Video of running ash trees last winter:

That's so freaking awesome. You farmers are a real crafty lot. I'm one generation removed from the farm life on both sides, and I loved our visits to my uncles' farms/ranches and seeing all of their inventions. I don't have a lick of that talent, but I have lots of pipe dreams about stuff like your processor.

Last edited: