Installing a Cast Iron Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss

Oct 19, 2013
Scotland
I've bought a cast iron insert like this one below, and Ive removed the existing old gas fire (blanked off by a pro), and the old hearth and surround.
10xsu0z.jpg

So I have the blank canvas of the subhearth, a cavity to slide the insert into, and an ash pit. Ive bought a wooden surround and a slabbed granite hearth.

Do I leave the ash pit in? And align my insert so that ash can fall into it? Or is it easier to concrete over it and just use an ash drawer as supplie with the insert?

Do I have to back fill the insert to create a throat up to where the baffle opens? Or can I simple slide the insert into the fireplace? The insert has a cutaway part at the base (red on pic)... so if I attempt to create a throat Id have to shutter this off to stop the material simply falling through this gap? I thought this gap was there to assist when sweeping the chimney, and hence why a throat is may not be necessary?

Thanks,

Erm, no, wood!!

Can anyone recommend a book or video for installing? Ive spent literally months looking for a scrap of information on the internet and found nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.