Interesting observation,red oak VS cherry.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I noticed by accident that some 4-5 year old cherry gave me burn times almost as long as red oak the same age. What gives here doesn't seem right,I'm burning a King Parlor two and a half years young.

I get better coaling from cherry than oak.. The down side is cherry doesnt break down to ashes like oak does, it stays in big charcoal chunks.

I dont pass up on cherry, it seasons quick and heats great.

Reactions: mtarbert
I love burning cherry but I've never thought that it compared to red oak..... Interesting observation regarding your experience with cherry and oak.

I burn mostly cherry and red oak, especially this year. Often one split of each in a stove with a window, us sitting a few feet away. Oak definitely lasts longer. And is hotter kindling to start a fire. But cherry seasons three times quicker, and gives good burn time for a lighter weight wood. Love them together -- how they flame if you mix the two.

To give another example, if I'm putting the last two splits on the fire, I choose a cherry piece that is almost twice as big as the oak I'm adding. They go out together.

Cherry is great for the people in this forum who write, "The wood I bought isn't ready. Now, what do I do?" If you can get some cherry in October that someone cut and split in July, it'll probably work pretty good.