Is There a Doctor in the house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeldrDave

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2012
New Jersey
My wife told me I need my head examined:rolleyes:. Coaly, I couldn't help myself... I found this in Delaware, Gentleman I bought it from says it is a Grandma but none of the measurements make sense. Also it has the odd hinge assembly on it as well. Ironically he had the owners manual that was given to him from 1978 when he bought it, It say's Dunn brothers inc. on the manual, the strange thing is there is a sticker under the sill that says manufactured by Hesston.... He even had the screen for it.
What am I gonna do with four Fishers!!!, Got two in this house....
I guess I got to build another home;hm

Attachments

• DSCN0839.JPG
    DSCN0839.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN0840.JPG
    DSCN0840.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCN0842.JPG
    DSCN0842.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN0843.JPG
    DSCN0843.JPG
    306.2 KB · Views: 314
  • DSCN0844.JPG
    DSCN0844.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCN0845.JPG
    DSCN0845.JPG
    218.4 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN0849.JPG
    DSCN0849.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 282
Hmm, never noticed a suggested retail price on an owners manual.
Hesston made boxes in mass production for fabricators that would not be able to make them fast enough. They only had to do the finish work like door seal and hanging doors.
You need to bring your wife along when you come over to see the collection. She would probably make the appointment for me.

I can see you pointing to that manual just like that in a tatoo shop............ shoulder or chest ? Where's it going?

Reactions: raybonz
Never thought about it, but not a bad Idea;), I think that would push it to the limit:eek:....What you see in the truck is what the man gave me. What's up with the measurements?, They don't correspond to your listed measurements in the Grandma and Grandpa sizes. This stove is bigger than the Grandma, but smaller than the Grandpa. One thing I will say, this one has very nice welds for the most part!

Yep, you can tell the oversize double door stoves when the hinge plates are welded to the stove face instead of to the angle iron. Makes it easy to change legs !
Just like Grandmas, some are just wider than others.
Can't answer it.

I would say to start with that is a great looking stove! Good find.

As far as different sizes, the only thing I can add is that the drawings were used to get the parts to best fit a sheet of steel was by a shop worker. the tops were 5/16 and they came in 5' widths generally. Most of the other 1/4" came in 4' widths. If someone could prevent scrap when shearing out the stove parts that may be the reason for different sizes. I know this not would right by the drawings but it is a possible soulution. The width of a gma top should be 25 1/2 and gpa 30". I go by these and not the brick because all the brick were cut per the stove. We did not order brick kits. We got tractor trailers of brick. There was a drawing showing the brick lay out and this was used by us but I have seen them installed/replaced by home owners and they could be any old way, so this could give a false reading in determining what stove it is.
We never used the hinges used here on this stove but I have a barrel of them we got from Dunn when they went out of buisness. I always wondered where they were used. :) Now I know.

I would say to start with that is a great looking stove! Good find.
Thanks Very much CamFan, I'm not sure why but I love these old stoves. I've read most, "not all" of what Coaly and others have put out there about these stoves, It's such history, (fascinating) about a man with an idea and how it exploded. Anyway, the old owner said this was a Grandma bear, and I did find the measurements Coaly had put, then read on further and found the ODD stuff.
My Grandma I'm burning here in the house is your measurements, 25" 1/2 across the top, she is the newer style, about 81 with the arch doors.

This stove across the top width is 27' 1/2. so I scratched my head o_O and bought it. $300.00/ CL and an $80.00 Ferry boat ride across the delaware bay to get it. As I said to Coaly, I just couldn't help buying it.... He said it had been left out side, and wanted it gone, I didn't haggle "at all" with his asking price. The door pin's are mostly shot and one damper is broke, I'll fix'er up.

Thanks for the info CamFan, very much:cool:;ex

P.S. Wife Truly thinks i've flipped

Thanks Very much CamFan, I'm not sure why but I love these old stoves. I've read most, "not all" of what Coaly and others have put out there about these stoves, It's such history, (fascinating) about a man with an idea and how it exploded. Anyway, the old owner said this was a Grandma bear, and I did find the measurements Coaly had put, then read on further and found the ODD stuff.
My Grandma I'm burning here in the house is your measurements, 25" 1/2 across the top, she is the newer style, about 81 with the arch doors.

This stove across the top width is 27' 1/2. so I scratched my head o_O and bought it. $300.00/ CL and an $80.00 Ferry boat ride across the delaware bay to get it. As I said to Coaly, I just couldn't help buying it.... He said it had been left out side, and wanted it gone, I didn't haggle "at all" with his asking price. The door pin's are mostly shot and one damper is broke, I'll fix'er up.

Thanks for the info CamFan, very much:cool:;ex

P.S. Wife Truly thinks i've flipped

I know the feeling....I stayed after one stove for about 10 years...I finally got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.