Is this an old Blaze King Princess and what is wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's a small space so not a lot of heat is lost. The bathroom windows does not open, so the fan has to be on during showers.
The wood is burning up way too fast because there's too much air when the door is open.

The choice of heat source is not mine. I rent.

All I need is help figuring out how to use this stove and how to use it safely. Over time, maybe I can afford to replace some stovepipe etc. myself, or my landlord will decide to do away with wood heat, to my chagrin.

Unfortunately, there is little anyone can do to help, other than the landlord. You've made it clear that won't happen. Suggestions for venting have been made. Suggestions to replace the stove with a used, safety tested stove have been also made. It seems you are now at an impasse given the circumstances, mostly financial.

I'd make two suggestions, tell the landlord a team of industry and advocates experts have informed you the current stove is not safety listed nor approved and if you buy a $500 used stove, will he pay $500 towards venting.

If this doesn't work, second suggestion, move out....

BKVP

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more with BKVP. That Frankenstove is a recipe for disaster. I'd bet your landlord wouldn't want to heat with that in his dwelling, and if he seriously would, he's an idiot. If you have to run that thing with the door open, and some coals rolled out while you were sleeping, you may never wake up. This sounds like a landlord I would not want to be involved with. If he's not willing to help remedy your heating, start looking for a safe place to stay. Meanwhile, if it's a small space like you say, grab yourself a Little Buddy LP heater and a 20lb tank.
Good luck

Reactions: clennox
First suggestion. Move out. Second suggestion. Move out. Sorry, safety first and foremost. Best of luck in your future and take care.

Reactions: clennox and clancey
Thanks.

I guess I'll have no luck finding info on how to use the controls to manage air flow, because none of us really know what they do, eh?

I'll look into itThe Little Buddy again. Last time I looked at the Mr. Buddy products, I ruled them out because they must be vented to the outside. The website says it the Little Buddy not available in Canada, but maybe there is a local dealer who can give me more information.
https://www.mrheater.com/little-buddy-heater.html

I was cautioned not to buy used stoves.

I agree that I can not go to sleep or leave my home with the door cracked open. It's been a bit of a frustrating experience asking for help locally. Everyone seems to think it would be 'just fine' to leave it unattended. My Dad (R.I.P.) taught me better than that.
Since I just moved here, there's not much support/help to be had.

Moving out is not an option at this time.

Thanks.

I guess I'll have no luck finding info on how to use the controls to manage air flow, because none of us really know what they do, eh?

No, it's because this stove may have been home made. As we (therefore) dont have a manual, and we can't disassemble it to check how it works, it's hard to help.

Regardless, the fact that you have to leave the door open suggests something is wrong with the stove, chimney set up or the wood (wet). (Or all.)

We don't have x-ray vision to see what's going on.

I understand. It's tough. If the stove is controllable (can avoid overfiring), the chimney safe (lined), you don't burn too low (creosote), and you have alarms and fire extinguisher, it might be safe enough. Though I don't like "safe enough" as it implies it can be better.

Good luck.
i think it can be made 'safe enough for now' until I can get working and pay for an upgrade, or until my landlord decides to upgrade/replace (less likely).

The controls will remain a mystery. I think this discussion has run its course. Thanks, everyone, for your advice and thoughts.

controls.JPG

Reactions: stoveliker
It really isn't just the stove. The venting looks very questionable as well

If propane and electric too expensive can you afford to get a used pellet stove and have him reimburse the pipe? Otherwise, like stated move out as soon as possible. Don't allow this clown to bully you into risking your life. Lifes too short for that

Reactions: clennox and Tar12
Professional welder? You are joking right? Those welds are pathetic at best...your whole situation is fraught with danger...I understand your situation and where you are coming from as I have been in your shoes before...please try to find a better stove.

I was cautioned not to buy used stoves.
I have had 5 used stoves with no problems just research the stove before you look at it and do an inspection before purchase, after you could get home clean really good and inspect more thoroughly and replace anything that is questionable.

Thank you, everyone for the encouragement to stick to my guns and follow my instincts. I have no $ to pay for a new stove or pipe. I'm using the portable electric heaters, so I am guessing his hydro bill is going up (hydro 60 amp included) I'll wait to talk to him again.

or he'll talk to you when he gets the electric bill. stick to your guns don't let him bully you. look how many cracks it has already. how many more can be fixed???????

or he'll talk to you when he gets the electric bill. stick to your guns don't let him bully you. look how many cracks it has already. how many more can be fixed???????
Agreed. He could try to evict me, though, and he would likely succeed. Bogus evictions and setups for evictions are happening a lot in B.C. right now. Me and another person I know, both low income, were each served 'failure to maintain' notices for our fridges being 'too full'. The other guy I know had just come from the food bank!
I was later served an eviction notice at the 'failure' place for bogus reasons. They were doing 'routine' inspections and harassing me constantly. I was being 'inspected' for suspected hoarding. Anyone who knows me knows very well I'm a neat freak. The (big, bulky) caretaker kept urging the lady inspecting my place to 'look in the pantry'. If you have to 'look in the pantry' for evidence of hoarding, I'm probably not a hoarder lol!
I was one of the first tenants in the buildings so my rent was lower than market rents are currently. I think the landlord wanted me to vacate so they could get a higher rental income from the unit. Once a unit is emptied here, landlords can change the rent to any amount. Rent control only applies to the contract, not the property. Since rent has skyrocketed recently, many landlords are trying to give people the boot. I'm hearing many stories of bogus evictions province-wide, country-wide. Expenses for landlords have skyrocketed too. There's no incentive to keep tenants long-term. After leaving the harasser-place, I was turfed within 2 days from my new place because they didn't want me to put some of my belongings in their suite. They were going through my stuff at the entrance, pulling things out and saying 'you can't put that in there'. We parted ways, nicely.
I'm paying $1,200 per month, inclusive, for this wee place and I feel very, every lucky to have it. It's in a beautiful country setting and there are good neighbours around. I'll do what it takes to get along with the landlord. and figure out how to get my heating issue resolved. Hopefully he will learn to trust me and vice versa. Prayer helps a lot. Prayers welcome. Yes, this is TMI but I'm hoping friends of Canada will take note. If you haven't heard yet, one of our provinces, New Brunswick, is allowing grocery stores to ban non-V'd people from entering the store - mask or no mask. We are in trouble here. It doesn't matter what side of the Vargument people are on, hardship and pain for people and businesses is skyrocketing, along with costs. As mentioned (I think?) the supply lines to where I live are in trouble due to catastrophic flooding and landslides, further aggravated by past forest fires and more. So...housing is a problem. In times of crisis, housing costs go up, not down. If there is an earthquake (we are in that zone), then the post-earthquake housing is crazy pricey. Hence, the long winded story here about why I want to and must hold on to this place and develop a good relationship with the landlord.

• Sad
Reactions: maraakate
sounds nuts to me that he can make you move if he doesn't like you or use his woodstove or else. good luck to you what ever you decide.

That could also push CO (kills) into the home.
I've read that there are several gasses to be watchful of. I tried the stove again last night. There is a bad smell and I had to open the windows and get a fan going. My eyes started stinging a bit..maybe I'm imagining this...and I know he won't believe me. I'll save up for a new stove (or maybe a new place)

Reactions: stoveliker
I've read that there are several gasses to be watchful of. I tried the stove again last night. There is a bad smell and I had to open the windows and get a fan going. My eyes started stinging a bit..maybe I'm imagining this...and I know he won't believe me. I'll save up for a new stove (or maybe a new place)
A stove is only a small part of the equation. The chimney can easily cost more than the stove.

I know this is getting a bit personal, but how old are you? Is it possible to move back home until you can find some other place that is more appropriate? If you don't wish to answer this question and feel I am out of bounds then I apologize and will understand.

It really isn't just the stove. The venting looks very questionable a

I know this is getting a bit personal, but how old are you? Is it possible to move back home until you can find some other place that is more appropriate? If you don't wish to answer this question and feel I am out of bounds then I apologize and will understand.
If only I was young enough to have a home to move back to. :) I hope that answers your question. No place to 'move back' to. The housing (rental and buyer) market here is beyond insane.
I'm just going to stop using the stove and rely on the portable electric heaters until my landlord comes back to talk about it some more. I don't think he'll believe me about the smell, nausea, stinging eyes, but I do believe he will figure out what he needs to do...my guess is he will switch to propane eventually. I'll focus on establishing a good relationship with the landlord, if it all possible. Prayers help.

If only I was young enough to have a home to move back to. :) I hope that answers your question. No place to 'move back' to. The housing (rental and buyer) market here is beyond insane.
I'm just going to stop using the stove and rely on the portable electric heaters until my landlord comes back to talk about it some more. I don't think he'll believe me about the smell, nausea, stinging eyes, but I do believe he will figure out what he needs to do...my guess is he will switch to propane eventually. I'll focus on establishing a good relationship with the landlord, if it all possible. Prayers help.
I feel for you.ive been down and out before and stuck in bad situations with landlords.wishi could be of some help to you. Do you have coats and blankets at least to stay warm with? If eletric costs are included I wod run as many space heaters as possible. Or maybe close door on stove and point a running box fan at it and see if that helps with fire staying lit?

I feel for you.ive been down and out before and stuck in bad situations with landlords.wishi could be of some help to you. Do you have coats and blankets at least to stay warm with? If eletric costs are included I wod run as many space heaters as possible. Or maybe close door on stove and point a running box fan at it and see if that helps with fire staying lit?

Thank you. I have two electric heaters. One is oil filled (7 fins) and I have a fan behind it to push air across the room. The other is a radiant ceramic thingy for the bathroom..it is GFI on the circuit. When the power goes out, the oil-filled one doesn't come back on.

The bad smell that caused stinging eyes has given me cause for pause. Some of the wood he gave me to use oozes a yellow sap/goo after it gets heated up.
Maybe that is the cause of the smell...but I thought something like that (sap?) would have a sweet, foresty kind of smell, not a metallic smell.

It will be ok. I got the answers I needed...a) Consensus is this is not a Blaze King Princess b) What is wrong is function - i.e. the venting and draft, plus the safety i.e. stovepipe is questionable, and there's no way to figure it out without a manual.