Is this an old Blaze King Princess and what is wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
get anything at this point. the stove you are running now with a new crack sounds like it is sending carbon monoxide into your air. that is nothing to fool with. get a c/o detector (a new one) if your eyes are burning and you have no energy that's probably carbon monoxide poisoning. the fisher i think is gone hop on one of those pacific energy stoves or even the dutch west which looks newer than the rest. i don't know how it is up there in canada but down here all you have to do is call the fire dept. and they come in with a c/o meter and if there is a reading the stove gets put out and the owner gets notified.
Agreed except if I call the FD I will lose my housing. My landlord insists the stove is fine. He came today while I was away. I left a key out for him because I was away. I thought he was coming to fix the oven on my ancient Magic Chef RV stove (with not fan/hood) but it wasn't the case. I'll post a separate update.

I have this habit of always believing that people, when given the opportunity will do the right thing. Unfortunately I have been wrong a few times. I think you are in a situation where this is one of those times. I would make sure you are documenting everything. Either record or write down your conversations, print out the recommendation from this forum, and possibly get a local sweep or fire department to come look at it and get documentation that it is unsafe. Make sure someone besides you has this this as well. I have a feeling that this situation will ultimately end up bad and you need to protect yourself.

Update
Dec 19-20 pm groanings, lamentings and a fervent request for better living conditions.to our Father by yours truly Dec 21-22.
went to another town (45 min away) to get a chiro treatment after realizing my tailbone and ribs are bruised from a fall in the unlit, partially-shovelled driveway/ parking lot. Stayed in a hotel. Was warm! Had a long shower that I can't take with the 8 Gallom hwt at h
I left a key out for LL and sent him an email saying he could go in if it was urgent or an emergency.
When I arrived I discovered that he had lit a fire in the stove against my explicit and without obtaining my advance and explicit consent. I discovered this by seeing dark smoke coming out (have video). Dark smoke pouring out the top and cap is gone from the chimney.. [He also didn't unplug or move the oil-filled portable heater or fan which i s alarming. ]My water was off again so I called him to learn he was in a suite across the yard dealing with a water leak. My home smelled, there were particulates in the air etc. but I kept my cool. I'm not happy he left it open (cracked), had opened some windows and then left the place. Luckily a fried of mine arrived before I did so the stove was not unsupervised. I had arranged for a work party to come that night to help paint, clean etc. to try and clear out/prevent any more mould/mildew but that plan got squished. Glory Be! Here's why...

Here's the good part...the really good part).
On my drive home, I stopped at a wood stove dealer and asked if they had any affordable stoves.
I'd already called my banker to out a bunch of $ into my personal account from my line of credit. My plan was to buy any stove, plunk it down and show my landlord...then propose he do the heavy lifting to install and replace stove pipe and chimney. I was going to propose a cost-share with him.
The dealer's cheapest wood stove is a True North t10. I've been eyeing one sale priced at our local lumber store and called to ask if it was still there. Voila! it is still there and whenI asked if there is wiggle room on the price they too $300 off (sale price was $999, dropped to $699)/ told them to hold it for me and booted home to find ( as above) the very disturbing situation I've described. I started to literally foam at the mouth (dry mouth) and was quite anxious.

When the LL cam e over to talk to me I felt like he was swaggering but that is just my perception. Constant prayer at this point. LL asked me how I liked having a warm place and I replied that I was not happy that he had come into my home and lit a fire in the wood stove without my consent. My friend was here, thankfully, so I felt less anxious. My LL is a likeable guy but he is big and powerfully built and doesn't take no for answer very much.

I said "I have a proposal for you..." and laid out my plan to buy the stove and he paid attention. I'd mentioned this stove to him before. He didn't say yes or no, but he took off like a house on fire (oh, Lord, keep me safe as this just- overloaded wood stove's coals go down.
He knew about the stove, as I'd mentioned it several times.
I outlined how for just $700 plus stovepipe etc., it would be a certified and brand new. stove.
He knows the store owner - has been dealing with him for 40 years. I think, i pray,
He asked how late the store was open and he had 30 minutes to spare.

I'd realized that with the ground frozen as it is, his proposal to run a gas line was waaaaay in the future. That's what lit a fire under me...needed to pun here...it's late

I'm praying he comes back in the a.m. with the stove. I'm not sure this is the best stove (short burn times) but it is the best one for me in this situation. I asked God to get me into a good, liveable situation and...well...let's see how the path unfolds tomorrow!

Any comments on this stove and my ideas for the water locker?

I truly hope he comes back tomorrow with the stove, stove pipe, a new chimney and a smile on his face, installs it and then fixes my cook stove situation before Christmas.
If he's going to pay for the entire deal, I'll be incredibly blessed. If he doesn't and I buy the stove to take with me later, I'll still be incredibly blessed :)

Prayers welcome.

ps -I might spring for the 'booster'. what do you all think of that?
Also - I've heard there are water-warmers that attach to wood stove pipes which would be amazing - I have an 8 gallon hot water tank that requires very short showers with the water turned off between rinse, shampoo, rinse, scrub, condition, scru
Here's a True North tn10 overview

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler
I have this habit of always believing that people, when given the opportunity will do the right thing. Unfortunately I have been wrong a few times. I think you are in a situation where this is one of those times. I would make sure you are documenting everything. Either record or write down your conversations, print out the recommendation from this forum, and possibly get a local sweep or fire department to come look at it and get documentation that it is unsafe. Make sure someone besides you has this this as well. I have a feeling that this situation will ultimately end up bad and you need to protect yourself.
I hear you and am doing what I can to document. I used to be a business person so I know how the games work sometimes. Keep one step ahead, keep your nose clean and keep records of everything...but keep the faith until otherwise proven.

Update
Dec 19-20 pm groanings, lamentings and a fervent request for better living conditions.to our Father by yours truly Dec 21-22.
went to another town (45 min away) to get a chiro treatment after realizing my tailbone and ribs are bruised from a fall in the unlit, partially-shovelled driveway/ parking lot. Stayed in a hotel. Was warm! Had a long shower that I can't take with the 8 Gallom hwt at h
I left a key out for LL and sent him an email saying he could go in if it was urgent or an emergency.
When I arrived I discovered that he had lit a fire in the stove against my explicit and without obtaining my advance and explicit consent. I discovered this by seeing dark smoke coming out (have video). Dark smoke pouring out the top and cap is gone from the chimney.. [He also didn't unplug or move the oil-filled portable heater or fan which i s alarming. ]My water was off again so I called him to learn he was in a suite across the yard dealing with a water leak. My home smelled, there were particulates in the air etc. but I kept my cool. I'm not happy he left it open (cracked), had opened some windows and then left the place. Luckily a fried of mine arrived before I did so the stove was not unsupervised. I had arranged for a work party to come that night to help paint, clean etc. to try and clear out/prevent any more mould/mildew but that plan got squished. Glory Be! Here's why...

Here's the good part...the really good part).
On my drive home, I stopped at a wood stove dealer and asked if they had any affordable stoves.
I'd already called my banker to out a bunch of $ into my personal account from my line of credit. My plan was to buy any stove, plunk it down and show my landlord...then propose he do the heavy lifting to install and replace stove pipe and chimney. I was going to propose a cost-share with him.
The dealer's cheapest wood stove is a True North t10. I've been eyeing one sale priced at our local lumber store and called to ask if it was still there. Voila! it is still there and whenI asked if there is wiggle room on the price they too $300 off (sale price was $999, dropped to $699)/ told them to hold it for me and booted home to find ( as above) the very disturbing situation I've described. I started to literally foam at the mouth (dry mouth) and was quite anxious.

When the LL cam e over to talk to me I felt like he was swaggering but that is just my perception. Constant prayer at this point. LL asked me how I liked having a warm place and I replied that I was not happy that he had come into my home and lit a fire in the wood stove without my consent. My friend was here, thankfully, so I felt less anxious. My LL is a likeable guy but he is big and powerfully built and doesn't take no for answer very much.

I said "I have a proposal for you..." and laid out my plan to buy the stove and he paid attention. I'd mentioned this stove to him before. He didn't say yes or no, but he took off like a house on fire (oh, Lord, keep me safe as this just- overloaded wood stove's coals go down.
He knew about the stove, as I'd mentioned it several times.
I outlined how for just $700 plus stovepipe etc., it would be a certified and brand new. stove.
He knows the store owner - has been dealing with him for 40 years. I think, i pray,
He asked how late the store was open and he had 30 minutes to spare.

I'd realized that with the ground frozen as it is, his proposal to run a gas line was waaaaay in the future. That's what lit a fire under me...needed to pun here...it's late

I'm praying he comes back in the a.m. with the stove. I'm not sure this is the best stove (short burn times) but it is the best one for me in this situation. I asked God to get me into a good, liveable situation and...well...let's see how the path unfolds tomorrow!

Any comments on this stove and my ideas for the water locker?

I truly hope he comes back tomorrow with the stove, stove pipe, a new chimney and a smile on his face, installs it and then fixes my cook stove situation before Christmas.
If he's going to pay for the entire deal, I'll be incredibly blessed. If he doesn't and I buy the stove to take with me later, I'll still be incredibly blessed :)

Prayers welcome.

ps -I might spring for the 'booster'. what do you all think of that?
Also - I've heard there are water-warmers that attach to wood stove pipes which would be amazing - I have an 8 gallon hot water tank that requires very short showers with the water turned off between rinse, shampoo, rinse, scrub, condition, scru
Here's a True North tn10 overview

Thats great but I am going to bet he won't do a thing about the chimney. How tall is the chimney overall?

Reactions: clennox
Type of roof - metal sheet
Floor to ceiling height 6'6"
I'm pretty sure the chimney does not go up as high as the roofline.

It looks to be about 3'?
Here are some photos.
The chimney is behind the tree - about 3' away.

When I first got here, there were branches brushing up right against the chimney.
They've been cut back to about 3' clearance.
The tree is on the neighbouring property and I haven't worked up the nerve to approach them.

LL says don't bring it up as there's some kind of long-term boundary dispute.
I understand there is some kind of cap that can direct the direction of the smoke?

I think the saying "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" fits, eh?
@ Regency 3100 in basement How much/what would you bet?
I like horses, dogs, trumpets, pianos, computers, camping gear....

Regency 3100 in basement

roof.png base of chimney.jpeg top of chimney.jpeg

Type of roof - metal sheet
Floor to ceiling height 6'6"
I'm pretty sure the chimney does not go up as high as the roofline.

It looks to be about 3'?
Here are some photos.
The chimney is behind the tree - about 3' away.

When I first got here, there were branches brushing up right against the chimney.
They've been cut back to about 3' clearance.
The tree is on the neighbouring property and I haven't worked up the nerve to approach them.

LL says don't bring it up as there's some kind of long-term boundary dispute.
I understand there is some kind of cap that can direct the direction of the smoke?

I think the saying "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder" fits, eh?
@ Regency 3100 in basement How much/what would you bet?
I like horses, dogs, trumpets, pianos, computers, camping gear....

Regency 3100 in basement

View attachment 288336 View attachment 288352 View attachment 288353
I doubt you have enough chimney height to make any modern stove work properly. There simply won't be enough draft.

Yes, a short chimney can easily result in a smokey interior; it does not"suck" enough - the draft being established by the fact that warm air wants to rise in the chimney and that rising is amplified by a taller chimney.

A better (safer) stove may solve only half of the problem.

You don't need to be skilled in metal works for that. Buy proper (UL listed) system components, and it's essentially plug and play.

yes..the chimney will have to be replaced by my LL is really good at metal works etc.
You will need atleast 12' of total height. Maybe 15 the stove should have the specs

I've not heard from my LL. Have texted him to say I'm going to pick up the stove today and that I hope he will consent to it being installed. I asked him to pay for the stovepipe and chimney and offered him first rights of refusal (to buy it) if I ever decide to move and don't want to take it with me. I said I will do whatever it takes working with him no against him. Was it the character in "Who killed Roger Rabbit" that said "We'll see, Rabbit. We shall see".

Reactions: bholler
the detectors you buy at a store (I have one) do not pick up chronic low-grade emissions...only spikes. that's my understanding.
There are ones that give you a true readout. But yes the alarm will only go off with spikes. And many are junk. I have gone into lots of houses and the alarm on my belt goes off right away. Theirs never made a sound.

I think it's fine to go with store bought CO detectors. Yes , if you have money, and feel the need, get a properly calibrated unit. But for us normal folks, a store bought unit will work and prevent death.

No. A friend was I'll AND "these detectors...".
Coincidence is not correlation which is not causation.

Of course I'm fine if you have the funds to measure better. After all, I worked as a PhD staff member of a national laboratory for 11 years. However, my professional opinion is that you don't need to spend that money.

I think it's fine to go with store bought CO detectors. Yes , if you have money, and feel the need, get a properly calibrated unit. But for us normal folks, a store bought unit will work and prevent death.
Some will some honestly are junk. We had a customer whose daughter ended up in the hospital with a 1 year old detector right outside her door. The FD measured 78 ppm and the alarm didn't go off untill they moved it closer where their monitors showed 130 ppm.

Yes, and some $10,000 measurement equipment is junk too. I know. (In fact , some $1,000,000 equipment...)

Those folks should sue the mfg.

Yes, and some $10,000 measurement equipment is junk too. I know. (In fact , some $1,000,000 equipment...)

Those folks should sue the mfg.
It was working as designed. Nothing to sue about.

It was working as designed. Nothing to sue about.

My point is that commercial (listed) CO detectors do well in 99.99% of the cases, and that the OP does not seem to have an abundance of financial means. A run of the mill CO and smoke detector is perfectly adequate, as recommended by the AHJ. Can one always do better, sure. Nothing is perfect. But in this case the safety gain will be much, MUCH larger if the (CAN)$$ are spent on chimney and stove and standard smoke and CO detectors rather than an advanced detection system.

Priorities and satisfying code (or whatever that is up there).

i hate them but like said above 99.9% of the time they work. the blackhawk is the one that you plug into the wall and it gives you a reading everytime you look at it. if you read the directions it tells you when to expect the alarm to go off like most not all says it won't go off until it reaches 40 ppm that's enough to give you a headache a little higher and you'll feel like you have a flu. unfortunately it goes off at 40 ppm but it takes 4 hours of that reading before the alarm sounds. and the quicker the spike and combo of how high the reading is will depend on when it will sound next. if you buy first alert or BRK smoke or carbon monoxide detectors (they are the best and the loudest) when it goes off it will give you a ppm number and there is your proof. they are the same unit if you buy the hard wire unit or you get the battery powered unit. if it goes off take a video of it on your phone for proof. and btw painting will work if the problem never happens again. it would suck to go thru the work of painting a room and the stove makes it stink again

yes I have the specs :)
No. A friend was I'll AND "these detectors...".
Coincidence is not correlation which is not causation.

Of course I'm fine if you have the funds to measure better. After all, I worked as a PhD staff member of a national laboratory for 11 years. However, my professional opinion is that you don't need to spend that money.
You are grammatically correct. I did not type what I was trying to say because I am in a bit of a housing crisis. Her illness and its cause (a faulty gas radiator in a low income housing setting) were all verified by doctors, the municipality (in Europe). She had a 'detector'. I'm not going to spend any money right now on anything. See later post. new update.