Is this King Parlor running too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Solid load eighteen month old cherry,here goes.
The stove burning almost no flame.
Stack temps about 275 checked with meter.
Cat is pretty much pegged.
Stovetop temp taken two inches in front of the cat thermometer.
What do you guys think?
I'm sure liking well seasoned cherry,could burn it in dead of winter and stay warm.
stoveload.jpg stack.jpg cat temp.jpg stovetemp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that double wall pipe?

But 661 stove top temp does not sound to high to me. And what are you worried about we have been told here over and over there is no way a bk can over fire no matter what.

Looks just fine.

The cat meter goes way farther than that! You are in the normal range still.

You need to specify if the flue is single or double wall and if the reported temperature is internal or surface. It looks like a surface meter on double wall and it is much too close to the stove. Raise it up to the 18" point.

Reactions: bholler
Looks just fine.

The cat meter goes way farther than that! You are in the normal range still.

You need to specify if the flue is single or double wall and if the reported temperature is internal or surface. It looks like a surface meter on double wall and it is much too close to the stove. Raise it up to the 18" point.
My thoughts exactly

Is that double wall pipe?
Double wall,just a note six hours later the stove top temp was 661,cat was cherry red pretty typical of what i'm used to.The new Parlor fires up quicker that the last King I had has be baffled gets up to temp in about half an hour quicker if it's real cold.

Double wall
Well you might as well take that magnetic thermometer off it means absolutely nothing on double wall. If it was at the proper height I would say that stack temp on the outside of double wall pipe would be very high but where it is I have no clue. But your other temps look pretty much inline so I don't see an issue.

Reactions: Poindexter
I guess the aliens broke into your house cause all I see is a 30 hr reload schedule when running like that

...what are you worried about we have been told here over and over there is no way a bk can over fire no matter what.

Correction: a properly functioning BK with bypass damper closed cannot overfire, but one with a bad gasket or other issue could! I suppose that's what the OP was considering, in his post.

I think @bholler was trying to be funny but that kind of thing doesn't translate well over the interwebs. I'm answering for him because he's probably busy reloading his noncat again or trying to flatten out his cupped regency baffle boards.

I think @bholler was trying to be funny but that kind of thing doesn't translate well over the interwebs. I'm answering for him because he's probably busy reloading his noncat again or trying to flatten out his cupped regency baffle boards.
Yes I was thank you. And no I havnt had fire in a week. And my baffles are still perfectly flat. I am not sure why in some stoves they seem to warp and others they don't. And it is something about the stove because usually if we have one set warp in a stove the next one will to. It is a very odd issue. On ones that are an on going issue we actually have been cutting vermiculite board that is the same thickness to replace the ceramic baffles. I know we probably shouldn't change things but some just constantly warp. And yes I know you were joking to just thought I would respond anyway.

I guess the aliens broke into your house cause all I see is a 30 hr reload schedule when running like that
They most certainly did,they left pictures for you of the BK Parlor into a 31 and counting burn30 hrs.jpg 290.jpg catdone.jpg at 5pm EST some pics of what they found.Mind you this is cherry wood,and the temps have only been in 30's.The stoves interior,temp at 290,and cat about done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I was thank you. And no I havnt had fire in a week. And my baffles are still perfectly flat. I am not sure why in some stoves they seem to warp and others they don't. And it is something about the stove because usually if we have one set warp in a stove the next one will to. It is a very odd issue. On ones that are an on going issue we actually have been cutting vermiculite board that is the same thickness to replace the ceramic baffles. I know we probably shouldn't change things but some just constantly warp. And yes I know you were joking to just thought I would respond anyway.
Sounds like some warranties are being voided!

What's next, non-manufacturer firebrick?

What would The Guild think?

Sounds like some warranties are being voided!
Yes possibly

What's next, non-manufacturer firebrick?
I never use bricks both from the manufacturer. But I do use equally specked bricks?

What would The Guild think?
What guild are you referring to? We have talked about the issue with many of the members of the PA guild and there are some members who do the same thing and some who don't.

Like I said originally We probably should not do it but we have some stoves that have been warping baffles once a year at least and they get bad enough that they interfere with the draft causing a safety issue. So we choose in those cases to go with the material that Regency used for a time in between the old steel baffles with blankets and the new ceramic ones. And the material that they are supposedly going back to soon. It is the same thickness and very similar R and K values as the ceramic ones.

So in short we don't use non spec parts lightly but if it comes down to having something that is potentially unsafe but meets spec or something that is safe but not current spec we choose the safe option.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yes possibly

I never use bricks both from the manufacturer. But I do use equally specked bricks?

What guild are you referring to? We have talked about the issue with many of the members of the PA guild and there are some members who do the same thing and some who don't.

Like I said originally We probably should not do it but we have some stoves that have been warping baffles once a year at least and they get bad enough that they interfere with the draft causing a safety issue. So we choose in those cases to go with the material that Regency used for a time in between the old steel baffles with blankets and the new ceramic ones. And the material that they are supposedly going back to soon. It is the same thickness and very similar R and K values as the ceramic ones.

So in short we don't use non spec parts lightly but if it comes down to having something that is potentially unsafe but meets spec or something that is safe but not current spec we choose the safe option.
I trust you, bholler, like I've said before, wish you were in my part of PA. I need some help with my setup, and haven't found anyone I trust more than myself in my neck of the woods.

And, I have no idea which guild I was referring to, I'm not in the business. I'm just an amateur hack who respects someone who takes pride in their profession and enjoys some friendly ribbing. ;-)

And, I have no idea which guild I was referring to, I'm not in the business. I'm just an amateur hack who respects someone who takes pride in their profession and enjoys some friendly ribbing. ;-)
I assumed that is what you were doing but you did bring up a valid point and in most cases I would not change from what the manufacturer recommends. In fact I really dont like to do it in this case but there are times it is the best option that I feel I have.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I assumed that is what you were doing but you did bring up a valid point and in most cases I would not change from what the manufacturer recommends. In fact I really dont like to do it in this case but there are times it is the best option that I feel I have.
Part of being a good professional is knowing when to put the rulebook away and do what's right for specific situation. That's where they are adding the most value, because laypeople have no idea where that line is.

Manufacturers have legal representation that prescribe things to the lowest common denominator. Lawyers are the friction, good practioners are the lube. A bit crude perhaps, but hopefully apt.

Thank you for clearing that up. It mistook the joking as disbelief! You must believe in the Alien technology.

Thank you for clearing that up. It mistook the joking as disbelief! You must believe in the Alien technology.
Nope not disbelief. But to be clear when i was told that bks cant over fire by multiple posters there was absolutely no mention of a properly working bk. In fact I was told by one of the more rabid fan boys that there is no need to worry about that because blaze kings don't break. And also that a blaze king owner would never forget to close the bypass.

I will absolutely agree that when operating correctly a bk will not over fire the thermostat will prevent that. But we all know things go wrong so it bothers me when people make the blanket statement that they cant be over fired without saying that the stove needs to be in good working order and be run correctly. I am not trying to start an argument here I just want to make sure we are giving safe and accurate info to people.

Reactions: Ashful
[QI believe any stove can meUOTE="bholler, post: 2170985, member: 32126"]Nope not disbelief. But to be clear when i was told that bks cant over fire by multiple posters there was absolutely no mention of a properly working bk. In fact I was told by one of the more rabid fan boys that there is no need to worry about that because blaze kings don't break. And also that a blaze king owner would never forget to close the bypass.

I will absolutely agree that when operating correctly a bk will not over fire the thermostat will prevent that. But we all know things go wrong so it bothers me when people make the blanket statement that they cant be over fired without saying that the stove needs to be in good working order and be run correctly. I am not trying to start an argument here I just want to make sure we are giving safe and accurate info to people.[/QUOTE]

I believe any steel stove can warp and meet it's breaking point,I had two Quadrafire their largest and Buck 94C,two monstrous stoves. Now in fairness to the mfgers they made good on their product. Now I don't recall doing anything that I didn't do with the two BK's I;ve owned but so far no problems. The Quad warped and split down both sides like a ripe watermelon and the Bucks sides swelled out over an inch and the door popped open.Just saying.

[QI believe any stove can meUOTE="bholler, post: 2170985, member: 32126"]Nope not disbelief. But to be clear when i was told that bks cant over fire by multiple posters there was absolutely no mention of a properly working bk. In fact I was told by one of the more rabid fan boys that there is no need to worry about that because blaze kings don't break. And also that a blaze king owner would never forget to close the bypass.

I will absolutely agree that when operating correctly a bk will not over fire the thermostat will prevent that. But we all know things go wrong so it bothers me when people make the blanket statement that they cant be over fired without saying that the stove needs to be in good working order and be run correctly. I am not trying to start an argument here I just want to make sure we are giving safe and accurate info to people.

I believe any steel stove can warp and meet it's breaking point,I had two Quadrafire their largest and Buck 94C,two monstrous stoves. Now in fairness to the mfgers they made good on their product. Now I don't recall doing anything that I didn't do with the two BK's I;ve owned but so far no problems. The Quad warped and split down both sides like a ripe watermelon and the Bucks sides swelled out over an inch and the door popped open.Just saying.[/QUOTE]

Dang, after all that, you should have a better idea than most about how hot is too hot for a steel stove.

The Quad warped and split down both sides like a ripe watermelon and the Bucks sides swelled out over an inch and the door popped open.Just saying.
Well don't abuse your stoves and that wont happen. Seriously quads and bucks are both pretty well made stoves that should stand up to many years of use if you run them even close to correctly. So yes it is probably a good idea that you get a stove that can protect it self from you. But most of us do just fine with stoves that don't.

Well don't abuse your stoves and that wont happen. Seriously quads and bucks are both pretty well made stoves that should stand up to many years of use if you run them even close to correctly. So yes it is probably a good idea that you get a stove that can protect it self from you. But most of us do just fine with stoves that don't.

As I stated all I did was exactly as I've done in running BK's for six years.Dry wood fire up adjust,maybe the locust and hedge was too much for the stoves.And I do believe I know how to run a stove according to the mfgers recommendations.Just saying

As far as you requiring each poster add a disclaimer about "properly working" when we say that a bk stat will work to stop an overfire, I think you're being unreasonable. If you feel you need to correct that every time you read it then you'd better be polite because it's pretty lame. It's not unlike assuming brake lines won't rupture when telling someone to use brakes to stop their car.

This is YOUR pet peeve.

As far as you requiring each poster add a disclaimer about "properly working" when we say that a bk stat will work to stop an overfire, I think you're being unreasonable. If you feel you need to correct that every time you read it then you'd better be polite because it's pretty lame. It's not unlike assuming brake lines won't rupture when telling someone to use brakes to stop their car.

It is not for me highbeam I know that it is for someone reading this who doesn't know better and after reading that thinks that no matter what they do there is no way that their bk could over fire. So yes use your brakes but you should also make sure that your brakes work before driving.

And I do believe I know how to run a stove according to the mfgers recommendations.Just saying
No if you did that to those stove you do not know how to run them I am sorry. It would take serious abuse to do that to either of those stoves. And the damage you describe would not have taken place with one incident. The stove had to have shown signs of damage but you just kept running it regardless. Which doesn't tell me you are one to make sure the stove is in good repair before using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.