Jotul 118 Box Stove. . .What's it worth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d3dwade23

Nov 15, 2014
Archbold, OH
I am going to be very honest in saying that I have no idea what my stove is worth. I moved into the house and it was already installed. I have a Jotul 118 box stove with green enamel with the cabin, moose, and various other wildlife on the side plates. There are no "cracks" or any blemishes that I can see on the stove. There is a little discoloring on the top of the stove, but I'm pretty sure that is just from the steel plate that came with the stove sitting on stop verifying that it is a genuine Jotul stove. A couple different friends that burn wood tell me that it is a very good stove that is in pristine cosmetic condition. Any idea's/comments on what I could reasonably ask for it? I have no interest in keeping it because I don't have a truck to haul or a woods that I have permission to retrieve wood from.

That is a classic and good heater. If the enamel is in great shape and the interior baffle and side burn plates in great condition, at this time of year it could be worth $6-800 in the right market.

Typically they sell for about $4-500, but this is the peak demand season and prices go up.

I found a stove that looks like a Jotul but it doesn't have any written identification on it. So were there copies made of this stove?

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a stove that looks like a Jotul but it doesn't have any written identification on it. So we're there copies made of this stove?

Yep. Made in Taiwan by "Scandia". They were low quality and the company got sued into oblivion for copying several brands of stoves. Notably Jotul and Vermont Castings.

Yep. Made in Taiwan by "Scandia". They were low quality and the company got sued into oblivion for copying several brands of stoves. Notably Jotul and Vermont Castings.
Thanks, I thought it must be a copy since no name on it, glad I did some research before buying. Nice looking stove non the less. Wish it was real.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks, I thought it must be a copy since no name on it, glad I did some research before buying. Nice looking stove non the less. Wish it was real.
Thanks for your help.
Are you interested in a older Jotul stove? Mine is pretty much mint condition if your interested. Just reply here for my phone number.

Status
Not open for further replies.