Jotul #4 or something else?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OSP

Aug 31, 2017
Georgia
Hi folks,

I hope some of you fine folks will help me identify a stove - or specifically if it is what I think it is or if it's some sort of knock-off.

My wife and I bought a house just recently, and in the basement was stored a wood stove. I think it was just too heavy to bother taking. It's not "installed" for use but I either want to get rid of it or maybe get it installed as an emergency heat source. We have mildish winters here but you never know. If for some reason it was valuable I of course would want to sell it and get something more practical but I assume this is not the case.

Anyway, doing some research and such I have found that it has the basic shape of a Jotul #4. However it has a big Viking Ship design on the front, which I could not find any reference to. I am wondering if it's a knock-off or something.

Simplest thing is to show a picture so I will attach one. Thanks for your help - I am active on other forums and I know there's often a wealth of knowledge in such places.

jotul4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The ship on the front face makes me think this is a knockoff. Look for made in Taiwan on the castings, maybe on the back. If the goal is to heat the house I think I would plan on a new stove. This one could be cleaned up and repainted, then sold for a reasonable price as long as it's not cracked or damaged.