Jotul 602 project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kman2478

Jun 15, 2019
Cape Neddick,Maine
Hello all,

I picked this up a month or so ago, and I'm starting to get it prepped to install in my small shop. I have reviewed tons of old posts for info. All of it awesome and much appreciated. Please forgive me if this may be redundant to some.
1. Am I correct in assuming I'm missing a bottom plate? schematic shows another plate.
2. Looking for recommendations for adding back plate insulation. What have people had luck with? I'd like to possible use fire brick.
3. Is there a way to do a 'lazy man's rebuild" by simply sealing inside seams without taking it apart? Furnace cement possibly?

Cheers guys!
Ken

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_135415539.jpg
    IMG_20190714_135415539.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20190714_133507790.jpg
    IMG_20190714_133507790.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 310
Yes, it's missing the bottom plate. Try to locate one from a scrapped 602. In a pinch you could make a bed out of firebrick, but at a loss of firebox capacity. I added a rear burnplate by making a cardboad template, then having a friend plasma cut one out of some 3/16" steel. I bolted it to the back with four 10-24 screws using a nut in between the plate and stove back to create an air space. This definitely reduced the heat on the back which is a common place for cracking if the stove overfires.

Rebuilding these stoves is super simple. There is no reason not to do it right. It took me about 2.5 hrs and that included drilling out and retapping a couple broken bolts.

Reactions: Kman2478
Yes, it's missing the bottom plate. Try to locate one from a scrapped 602. In a pinch you could make a bed out of firebrick, but at a loss of firebox capacity. I added a rear burnplate by making a cardboad template, then having a friend plasma cut one out of some 3/16" steel. I bolted it to the back with four 10-24 screws using a nut in between the plate and stove back to create an air space. This definitely reduced the heat on the back which is a common place for cracking if the stove overfires.

Rebuilding these stoves is super simple. There is no reason not to do it right. It took me about 2.5 hrs and that included drilling out and retapping a couple broken bolts.
Did you still and tap your backplate to the back of the stove, or just lean it in there?

I drilled clearance holes in the back for the 10-24 screws and thru-bolted with another nut on the outside to hold the shield firmly in place.

Reactions: Kman2478
bottom plate? do you mean the baffle at the top of the inside?

Sent from my V11 using Tapatalk

There is a bottom plate with wavy lines cast into it at the base of the firebox.

There is a bottom plate with wavy lines cast into it at the base of the firebox.
yes, but i see it in the OP's stove. I have the same.

The bottom (underneath the plate) also has those cast squiggles, but only 2 and some sort of mineral insulation between them. It looks like the insulation was scraped out on the OPs stove. The bottom plate that goes on top of this has 4 squiggles and looks more finished.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 1.35.56 PM.png

oh, so mine is missing too. i only have the 2 wavy line pattern. isn't the bottom the coolest place in the stove. i put a layer of sand on the bottom when after cleaning it out.

It should have more protection. The sand layer is recommended to go on top of the bottom plate.

It should have more protection. The sand layer is recommended to go on top of the bottom plate.
odds are i won't find an actual replacement, don't want to put thick bricks in. i have some left over stone tile from bath remodel.