Jotul C550- Cold draft coming from bottom of unit.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarstull

Feb 8, 2015
Elmhurst, IL
Hello experienced woodburners,

I recently purchased a Jotul C550 Rockland insert to replace a very drafty fireplace. I use the insert often and really like it. However, I've noticed when we don't have a fire going I can feel a cold draft coming from the front grill where the blowers sit. The unit was professionally installed with a stainless steel liner kit with insulation. I'm new to inserts and maybe this is normal but when I look at the installation diagram it doesn't seem like I should be able to feel a draft (the hearth in front of the unit is cold to the touch when we're not burning). Any thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Jared

Welcome to the forum!

Do you have a block-off plate? https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/
Is that fireplace at an exterior wall? Putting some insulation around it may help: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/

Thanks for such a quick response! It is on an exterior wall so maybe insulation is in deed the issue. I'm not sure on the block off plate, I'll have to check- my assumption is that there isn't one as I don't see anything listed on the installation bill.

Thanks again!!

If there is no block-off plate: Put one in at best with some Roxul above. That will greatly increase the heat that the insert will put into your home. Right now you are heating the great outside through your chimney.

Stick around and I am sure you will pick up a lot more advice on how to get the most out of your insert.

If there is no block-off plate: Put one in at best with some Roxul above. That will greatly increase the heat that the insert will put into your home. Right now you are heating the great outside through your chimney.

Stick around and I am sure you will pick up a lot more advice on how to get the most out of your insert.

Excellent advice, thanks! I certainly look forward to learning more about the art of wood burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.