Jotul Portland: Standing or Intermittent (Thermostat-driven) Pilot???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kafka

Aug 5, 2016
Stony Brook, NY
Hello,

I just purchased (last night) a Jotul Portland (GF 500) for a sunroom off our house, which has no other source of heat. I'm used to woodburning stoves, but because this is a room used all the time, I decided in favor of a gas stove in order to make it much easier to keep heated on a regular basis (otherwise, I would need to keep a fire going continuously the entire winter). The house has NG, and the rest of the house is heated with NG radiators.

The dealer presented me with an option right before signing: either a standing pilot or an intermittent (thermostat-driven) pilot. He said that the intermittent one uses up less gas (obviously), but that--when it's really cold--the standing pilot is much more reliable. He also said that a standing pilot is a better option if you're worried about the electricity going out, which is a serious issue on Long Island during hurricane season. He also said that the standing pilot doesn't need the remote, whereas the intermittent one does, which is something that was also concerning since I have kids and remotes are apt to disappear. On this basis, I decided on the standing pilot. He says that I have one week to change my mind...since he won't order the unit until they come to my house to take measurements.

Since I'm completely new to gas stoves, and the information was given in a very rushed manner, I decided to look the information up on Jotul. I don't see this anywhere. Nor do I see any discussion of the pros and cons of standing versus intermittent pilots. Was the Jotul Portland a good choice? And is the lack of a thermostat going to be something we regret, or are the benefits of a standing pilot worth it? I'd be grateful for any advise or personal experience.

Thanks!

Lily

Millivolt (aka Standing Pilot) systems are generally more reliable, and have much less "tech" than the IPI counterparts. The IPI systems tend to help in LP set ups, as you don't have the continuous drain on a fixed fuel supply. However, in much of North America, the manufacturers (of units and the operating system) recommend keeping the Continuous pilot feature active in the colder parts of the year anyway, so in some cases, that cost savings is negated. Certainly with IPI systems there is more that can go wrong, and we know that when that is the case more stuff typically does. Go wrong, that is...

My opinion is that Millivolt is more suited for places in colder climates (Long Island: I would consider this cold climate) further away from potential service requirements, or areas more susceptible to frequent or long power outages. The Proflame II system that Jotul use as their IPI system should be battery backed up, but to me, there is little that can compete with the simplicity, function and durability of the millivolt system.

Thanks very much...sounds like the dealer advised me well, then. Is it possible on the millivolt system to turn the heat on a gas stove up or down manually? If so, how/where do you do that?

Thanks very much...sounds like the dealer advised me well, then. Is it possible on the millivolt system to turn the heat on a gas stove up or down manually? If so, how/where do you do that?
There is a knob on the control valve to turn the flame up and down . Right next to the knob you use to light the pilot. Millivolt is your best choice IMO.

This is what my research has led me to for a Tahoe cabin. I dont have it installed yet, but Im looking forward to the same stove you will have. Good luck