Log Splitter Cradle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpcollen1

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2007
Western CT
is your splitter horizonal only

smokinj said:

It's ok if his splitter is horizontal and vertical. That cradle comes off in 2 seconds if you want to split vertical. I have the same one, it works great.

peterc38 said:
smokinj said:

It's ok if his splitter is horizontal and vertical. That cradle comes off in 2 seconds if you want to split vertical. I have the same one, it works great.
I have one also, looks like the ebay seller has raised his price since I bought mine.

Shipper

I don't think the cradle needs to be removed to use it vertical.

I went with the poor man's version. All I did was to take off the stock outrigger from the operator side and sistered it up to the other side.

100_0341.jpg

LLigetfa said:
I don't think the cradle needs to be removed to use it vertical.

I went with the poor man's version. All I did was to take off the stock outrigger from the operator side and sistered it up to the other side.

100_0341.jpg

Me too, I made my own, 10 seconds to remove. Must remove to go vertical

Attachments

• splitter table 6-16-09 002.JPG
    splitter table 6-16-09 002.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 12,555
I got one from that guy on ebay for Christmas last year. I like it just fine and it's a big help. The only change I'd make would have been to mount it a little further toward the base plate as I don't split anything bigger than 19" (which is what will fit in my stove).

The end of my outrigger nearest the wedge lines up exactly with the end of the log. I use it to gauge whether the log will fit my stove.

It does look well made but I wonder why it is set so low. I would prefer it to be the same height as the top of the beam for the way I work. If it is a two person operation, the lower height might be easier for the other person to set the rounds onto.

My splitter is horizontal and vertical. I prefer horizontal until I got to the mammoth oak rounds. My rounds are stacked 4-5' high anyway so the first half off the pile, I do not even have to bend once.

I am not good enough with metal to make my own. I did rig up some contraptions with pallets/wood that worked ok but portable they were not.

This will save me some work for sure...

I'm sure you will enjoy it. If I can make a suggestion to center the cradle between the baseplate and the ram instead of 6" from the base plate or whatever his directions say.

peterc38 said:
smokinj said:

Is it held on with pins, bolts ? Why does it have to come off if vertical. Looks like it would clear everything.

I installed my cradle and tested it out today.
Splitter prior to installation
LogSplitter002.jpg

The cradle
LogSplitter001.jpg

Installed
LogSplitter003.jpg

Side view
LogSplitter004.jpg

Operators view
LogSplitter005.jpg

It works well, and is easily removable in seconds for vertical operation. If I could change anything I would make it so the cradle extends to the end of the beam. I had a few splits fall off because of how it is held back from the end of the beam. Overall I like it.

Do you feel it would be better mounted closer to the foot of the splitter? I would have mounted mine that way. I think its worth the money and see the seller has raised his prices since I bought mine. Have to give the guy credit for making something so simple and selling them on one of the worlds best market places.

Shipper

I am sure you broke the welds that held the table on, but just thought I would check and see. Didn't see a pic where you had the table off to show it.

Shipper

there was a guy selling them on ebay a year or two back, but the 'slats' were about 3 to 5 inches apart. Does the wood snag on the more widely spaced ones?
these are for moving wedge design, where the wood does not move.
I would never run another one without some sort of shelf. I built a plywood slab 'temporary' to test and it helped so much it is on there 10 years later.

Justin M said:
Yes, it would be better closer to the foot. I mounted it as close as my splitters beam design would allow. If you look in the last two pics you can see the bracing that prevents it from being mounted any closer to the foot.

Looks like you could attach a piece of plywood to the cradle to extend it even past the foot a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.