Looking for New-er Wood Vehicle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

About a year ago I purchased a 92 Sierra and it has served me very nicely. I have used this thing more than I could have imagined. I am however looking to replace it for something different. About 10 years ago I owned a Land Rover Discovery and i am thinking that this vehicle may serve me as a wood transport vehicle.
For the price i think something like this may do the trick after I remove the rear seats.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/3730420045.html

You might want to check on the load capacity of the Land Rover. I suspect that they might not be sprung very heavy.

Pickup truck all the way. I wouldn't want to crawl in/out to load/unload wood. If you are stuck on a Rover, get a trailer too.

Good point on the loading and unloading. I guess im still in love with that truck so I was trying to justify a purchase around firewood. lol.

I agree with Lukem, pick up all the way. I own a trailer and I'll still always use a pick up for this stuff. I was looking for more room for my family and almost bought a Tahoe thinking my trailer would still allow me to haul wood, well I quickly realized I just needed a Crew Cab pick up. Problem solved, more room for the family and I still have a bed to load with anything I want. :)

Truck also keeps the dirt and ants out of the back seat

Seems like a decent truck for the price. But so many more advantages to a bed. Unless your gonna get a trailer. But as stated above, the tongue weight/ towing capacity, it could handle, would likely be pretty low?

I have an 02 F-150 FX4 that Has proved to be invaluable. Had it over 10 yrs now. Still love that truck. I use it and a trailer in tandem to haul wood :)

If you look close...... You can see the tongue of the trailer is bent :( I don't recommend overloading.... But I have been known to do so on occasion. ;)
image.jpg

You might fit in better over there in Beacon with the Rover ;) but these guys are right, pickup truck is the best wood-hauler. I would think cost of ownership would be lower with the truck too. ;)

Are you looking to keep this just a wood hauler or looking to do double duty as a family/grocery hauler as well. Will you use it for daily driving to/from work?

I'd recommend taking a newer truck for a test drive. They have come a LONG ways since that '92 Sierra. Try something GM '03+, Ford '04+, Dodge '04+. Imagine something with the utility of your Sierra and the comfort of the Rover and such a vehicle certainly exists.

Another vote for a pick-up . . . I had a SUV with a trailer for many years . . . I wouldn't go back.

Status
Not open for further replies.