Metal firewood racks... who buys them?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
NW Fuels said:
To put this into another dimension how about one of my customers who just put over 1.5 million into his landscape. All of us here have paid out to this guy at one time or another. This also includes a outdoor fireplace that costs over $80,000 just to burn in maybe twice a year.

How is Bill doing these days?

Strike one! two more guesses or your down the river.

NW Fuels said:
BrotherBart said:
NW Fuels said:
To put this into another dimension how about one of my customers who just put over 1.5 million into his landscape. All of us here have paid out to this guy at one time or another. This also includes a outdoor fireplace that costs over $80,000 just to burn in maybe twice a year.

Too many others that it could be given your marketing area. I quit.

BrotherBart said:
NW Fuels said:
BrotherBart said:
NW Fuels said:

Too many others that it could be given your marketing area. I quit.
And I gave you a BIG hint.

OK then, how is Steve doing then? :lol: But technically he is up the river so I don't guess it is him.

Jeff lives in LA. I thought you were talkin local, darn it.

Who is Jeff Mississippi? I've never heard of him.

Never bought one, wouldn't even go outta my way to get one for free. However, my last c/l score included one (see https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40468/) and since it was a nice score and the homeowner wanted to be rid of it, I took it. Held the wood from that score (less than 1/6th cord) and then some, well off the ground - but a proper pallet rack in the same space could hold more.

Peace,
- Sequoia

gyrfalcon said:
derecskey said:
Does anybody actually buy those 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 etc storage racks made out of metal with a cover, like these here? http://www.spitjack.com/page/SJ/PROD/LOGSPLIT/LOGRACK-WH-144

I mean, honestly, $249 for something that doesn't even store a cord? The idea of burning wood, for most folks, is a matter of saving money first and foremost. Everything else is just a perk.

I would have to think anybody buying these is a recreational burner. Anyone here buy them? Anyone ever even seen one in someone's yard?

I'm embarrassed to admit I did buy a couple of those my first year burning, although somewhat less expensive. They are nice racks, but as you say, don't even hold enough unless you're just recreational, which is what I thought I was going to do before the price of heating oil skyrocketed. Now I'm a complete ideological wood heat fanatic.

It's OK, Step 1 of the 12 Step Program to Admitting You're A Woodaholic is to confess to buying things like this . . . this would also include buying more than one chainsaw, buying a 27-ton woodsplitter when a 22-ton woodsplitter would work perfectly fine or buying a truck just to haul wood. ;) :)

Guess I'm in the "really cheap and lazy" category . . . last year I threw down some old pallets and covered the wood with some old, blue tarps I had in my garage.

This year I'm "upgrading" with a woodshed . . . but a good portion of the wood has come out of my old camp which I tore down for the wood . . . albeit I did have to buy some wood for the rafters and base and a little bit for my front wall.

We have one of those tubular metal racks. It holds about a face cord and I keep it on the covered front porch in the winter. It holds about a week's worth of wood. The rest of the wood is on pallets, uncovered.

I have eight or nine sets of them that I bought years ago at HD at season end for seven bucks a set. I don't use them anymore since I went to using pallets. To hold the stacks up I bought a trailer load of new bed frames at a bankruptcy auction for a mattress store for five bucks. A trailer load of angle iron for five bucks wasn't a bad deal at all. Two frame rails, a piece of poly rope through the stack and I don't have stacks falling down anymore.

Last year I used a metal wood hoop. It didn't hold a weeks supply so I would have to stack more carefully on the deck to get a weeks worth of wood on my covered porch. This took a lot of time doing.

I finally went out and purchased some 4x4's and 2x4's and re-bar. I think the total cost with the brackets and paint was $30.00. I might build another one and put an extra week of wood in the garage to have a two week supply within arm's reach of the stove room.

Attachments

• wood rack.jpg
    wood rack.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 774
  • wood rack 2.jpg
    wood rack 2.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 591
Status
Not open for further replies.