MS-362 or MS-461?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bigger saw, you can always put a smaller bar on it. I run a 660 for everything. I have a 25 inch bar and a 36. You will appreciate the bigger saw when you come across bigger wood.

Bigger saw, you can always put a smaller bar on it. I run a 660 for everything. I have a 25 inch bar and a 36. You will appreciate the bigger saw when you come across bigger wood.

My man, I like the cut of your jib! [emoji106]

You guys have convinced me...just found a 461 in stock at the local dealer so I can check it out IRL

Buy it, my father has a 361 a great saw. But when I bring out the 660 he instantly grabs it and goes like a kid in a candy store. After you run it for a little you will be glad you got the bigger one!

Reactions: Rangerbait
Just went to the local shop to check it out in person...salesman was saying that it may be getting revised soon with the M-tronic carb like the 362 has and is optional on the 661. Is that worth waiting for, if it is really going to happen?

Just went to the local shop to check it out in person...salesman was saying that it may be getting revised soon with the M-tronic carb like the 362 has and is optional on the 661. Is that worth waiting for, if it is really going to happen?

I like Mtronic.

Got a 661 and no issues. It stomps my old 056. Night and day. I don't run it often as I do a lot of limbing and smaller trees and prefer my lighter saws for that, but in big wood the 661 is excellent with the Mtronic. I've also ran a 261 with mtronic and overall a stronger saw than what I remember the 026/260 was.

I also have an auto tune Jonsered pro saw. Also love the self adjusting. No issues.

They've also got a 441 on the shelf next to the 461...same weight, 7 fewer cc's, and $140 cheaper. Anyone have much experience with the 441?

None here. But it's an mtronic.

I've already mentioned that I personally like auto tuned carbs. I've got both Stihls and Huskys version ( Jonsered same as a Husky only in red). I love how both my auto tuned saws always seems to run " perfect"

On the other hand my 70cc saw a Jonsered 2172 ( Husky 372xp) I'm adjusting in Summer and again in winter. Some days it feels real strong, other days it seems off. Not with my auto tuned saws.

That said, and I'm not brand loyal kinda guy I just want the best deal I can get, but if you don't want a auto tuned saw, and you want a 70cc saw, Id grab a Husky 372 or Johnny 2172. No auto tune and a legendary proven pro 70cc saw. And again no auto tune. You can grab them for around $800 in my neck of the woods from a pro saw shop probably less online?? so a good deal in the 70cc class

I'd guess a 70cc saw is about right for 95 percent of most folks. Sure I've got a 661 but honestly I didn't need it I can cut everything with my 2172. But I just like power and speed in big hardwoods so that's why I got a 661. If I could only have 1 saw for the rest of my life it would be a 70cc saw though.

Sorry long response. If you wan Mtronic get the 441. If you don't want Mtronic there are other options for you.

Last edited:
They've also got a 441 on the shelf next to the 461...same weight, 7 fewer cc's, and $140 cheaper. Anyone have much experience with the 441?

The only reason I even own a saw under 80cc is weight. So, why would you even consider a saw that's 7cc less, at the same weight?

The only reason I even own a saw under 80cc is weight. So, why would you even consider a saw that's 7cc less, at the same weight?

I completely agree with you on weight that's why my 50cc saw gets the most use during long days in the woods topping dropped trees.

But in this case there's $140 difference and the addition of Mtronic which in my opinion is a great feature. And very little power difference. Unless your cutting cookies in a chainsaw race. No time for that for me.

Just my opinion

Both of those factors...it's a 10% increase in displacement, but does the mtronic advantage erase the difference in CCs?

What's the deal with this 441 saw...it's not on the website unless you search specifically for it?

Both of those factors...it's a 10% increase in displacement, but does the mtronic advantage erase the difference in CCs?

What's the deal with this 441 saw...it's not on the website unless you search specifically for it?

Temp discontinued from what my shop says. No need to keep marketing it. Too much unsold stock. Plenty of 441s available though.

I wouldn't let that deter you.

Last edited:
Both of those factors...it's a 10% increase in displacement, but does the mtronic advantage erase the difference in CCs

No the bigger saw makes more power.

But unless your timing your cuts the difference is so small I'd rather keep the $140 in my pocket . But I like Mtronic. Others don't.

Are you making a living with the saw where time counts ?

If either of these sizes won't be enough for you then get a bigger saw. But I'm guessing a 70cc saw will do just fine. What you cutting. ?

I've run a 36 inch skip on my 2172 ( same power as a 441) and dropped and processed trees 60 inches in diameter . It gets the job done just fine.

No the bigger saw makes more power.

But unless your timing your cuts the difference is so small I'd rather keep the $140 in my pocket . But I like Mtronic. Others don't.

Are you making a living with the saw where time counts ?

If either of these sizes won't be enough for you then get a bigger saw. But I'm guessing a 70cc saw will do just fine. What you cutting. ?

I've run a 36 inch skip on my 2172 ( same power as a 441) and dropped and processed trees 60 inches in diameter . It gets the job done just fine.

No, I have a day job, but I love cutting and I'm trying to make a solid choice on a saw that I'll keep a good decade or more.

In all reality I probably won't notice the difference in power since I'll be running 20" and 25" bars for the most part, but the AV characteristics of the 441 appeal to me, as does the m tronic. I have enough people and machines that require constant "tuning"...it'd be nice not to add another one

Ended up going with the 441...had the shop swap out the 25" blade for a 20".

Going to head out early tomorrow to take her for a spin.

18f4fcbdd518c0ca111aa0f1ab413c91.jpg

Nice saw! Glad you went with the bigger one?

Nice choice! The power difference between the 44 and the 46 is barely noticeable but there is a difference. For cutting firewood your going to be a happy man for a long time!