MS-362 or MS-461?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I don't know how they would compare power-wise but my 362 was ported by a guy who does that and it's really strong. I think it cost a couple hundred for the porting mods. It cuts great.

For most of us non pros only cutting firewood, managing a personal woodlot under 100a, and clearing blowdowns, look at the two pro level saws that will do 90% of all firewood: Stihl MS 261 and the Husky 346 lines. No need for the loggers' big boy saws unless you're logging or doing contract clearing. Or you just like big toys.:rolleyes:
Our MS261's with 16" -20" bars and "yellow" semi chisel chains ( the so-called "non safety" chains) do it for us. Less fatigue, enough power to go through all the timber up to 30" which is rare in the N.E. As we get up in years, those 660s and 440s seem to get heavier; better to have a saw that can used safely all day.
A 16" bar with the right techniques and experience will do a +24" DBH tree. Think boring, wedges, planning the fall. Kind of fun.

For most of us non pros only cutting firewood, managing a personal woodlot under 100a, and clearing blowdowns, look at the two pro level saws that will do 90% of all firewood: Stihl MS 261 and the Husky 346 lines. No need for the loggers' big boy saws unless you're logging or doing contract clearing. Or you just like big toys.:rolleyes:
Our MS261's with 16" -20" bars and "yellow" semi chisel chains ( the so-called "non safety" chains) do it for us. Less fatigue, enough power to go through all the timber up to 30" which is rare in the N.E. As we get up in years, those 660s and 440s seem to get heavier; better to have a saw that can used safely all day.
A 16" bar with the right techniques and experience will do a +24" DBH tree. Think boring, wedges, planning the fall. Kind of fun.

It's all good relative I suppose...I'm a giant, strapping, lumberjack of a man, and the logger's big boy saw just feels right in my hands. If I were a slighter man, perhaps the heft of the machine would have held more sway in my decision. [emoji3]

All kidding aside, for the amount of cutting I do in one sitting, the 441's size was a non-issue. The power and speed with which it chewed through those logs was exactly what I was looking for. I was back home in time for breakfast with a truck full of hardwood rounds, and that left a smile on the Mrs's face.

It's all good relative I suppose...I'm a giant, strapping, lumberjack of a man, and the logger's big boy saw just feels right in my hands. If I were a slighter man, perhaps the heft of the machine would have held more sway in my decision. [emoji3]

All kidding aside, for the amount of cutting I do in one sitting, the 441's size was a non-issue. The power and speed with which it chewed through those logs was exactly what I was looking for. I was back home in time for breakfast with a truck full of hardwood rounds, and that left a smile on the Mrs's face.

You just one ole good ole boy. Just wait 'til you get up to the 4 score era.
Hey, what'd you have for breakfast ?
Boy, if I could get a smile like you got using a 440, I may change my mind.

Reactions: Rangerbait

No way I'd tolerate the frustrating slow speed of a 261, for all-day cutting. Heck, I can barely tolerate bucking with my 036, after getting used to the speed of the 064. If you like little saws, that's fine, but don't assume others share your affliction!

IMG_2551.JPG
No way I'd tolerate the frustrating slow speed of a 261, for all-day cutting. Heck, I can barely tolerate bucking with my 036, after getting used to the speed of the 064. If you like little saws, that's fine, but don't assume others share your affliction!

381d0bdb88b3b47eae4efdebc9227712.jpg
IMG_2551.JPG
381d0bdb88b3b47eae4efdebc9227712.jpg

Agree...after tackling this pile yesterday, I was very happy to have the bigger saw. Another dawn patrol session, another return home by breakfast time with a full truck! :-D

Last edited:
My father is going on 63 and he has a 039 and a 361. When the 660 comes out he always wants to run it. He has been cutting for decades and he runs a saw like a pro. He has no issue with cutting all day with the big saw. Everyone has a different personal preference but I like the bigger saw! As showmen above it makes quick work.

Reactions: Rangerbait
I follow a logger friend around a lot cutting tops. The base of some of these tops range from 18-24 up to 3-4 ft across. I have it all covered.EVERYTHING comes home with me regardless of size.Every saw in my arsenal serves a purpose...we grab the 260 pros first and trim down to the meat log and grab the appropriate saw to wrap it up.This method saves my back.When I get to the meat of the larger logs I don't like playing patty cake with them and the 660 come out.H.P. trumps every time! My 44 has been rebuilt twice and there will not be a third time and my 39 is getting tired...a 461 is right around the corner for me.It will do everything I need and replace both saws.

Last edited:
Reactions: heavy hammer
I follow a logger friend around a lot cutting tops. The base of some of these tops range from 18-24 up to 3-4 ft across. I have it all covered.EVERYTHING comes home with me regardless of size.Every saw in my arsenal serves a purpose...we grab the 260 pros first and trim down to the meat log and grab the appropriate saw to wrap it up.This method saves my back.When I get to the meat of the larger logs I don't like playing patty cake with them and the 660 come out.H.P. trumps every time! My 44 has been rebuilt twice and there will not be a third time and my 39 is getting tired...a 461 is right around the corner for me.It will do everything I need and replace both saws.

Exactly. I use the 036 for topping or limbing, the 35cc top handle for marking out my bucking lengths and some smaller limbing, then the 064 for everything else. If I'm felling something small enough, I occasionally use the 036 for that, too.