NC 30 mountain of coals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjcole50

Minister of Fire
Oct 5, 2013
Ohio
Wish I could get a picture posted. Not the first time we have had this issue. Yesterday and today's cold snap of -5 and high wind are putting the nc30 to the test. I'm having to unload a lot of good hot big coals in order to reload and keep the stove up around 700 mark. Anyone have a remedy to help this issue? Was thinking of trying e/w loading. Currently using 1.5 year seasoned ash burning great but I am chugging through my ash pile at an uncomfortable rate! Last year's extreme winter didn't seem to coal as much as now. Such a waste of heat trying to keep it up. 25 ft ceilings don't help either :) can't wait to eventually add a stove to our basement for times like these! Maybe I should quit being cheap and fill the evil 500 gallon tank outside :(. Have read some others with similar issues during cold snaps. Just looking for strategies to burn these down furthe.

I get a lot of coaling in these conditions (12 below to 5 above and back down again). I dumped one small pan out but felt bad about it. Since, I've been tossing in small (processor scraps 1" splits) pieces and they burn like no tomorrow, it holds temp, and cuts down on the coals, makes the wood go further too.
Still a lot of coals / ash, but more fuels been getting shoveled in there as well....

I put on a couple small 2-3" splits on top of the coals, open up the air to about 50% and burn the coals down.

Reactions: Dix
If your stove needs to stay at 700 degrees to keep your house warm it's not realistic to heat only with wood. Even a big stove like you have is only going to stay at 700 for a couple hours at most before the long coaling stage begins. The best you can do is open the air up all the way when the solid wood has turned to coals and keep the stove as hot as possible while some of the coals burn down.

The best you can do is open the air up all the way when the solid wood has turned to coals and keep the stove as hot as possible while some of the coals burn down.

That's what I do, and rake them forward as they burn down. Too hot for too long just makes too many coals.... have to let them burn down with lots of air, then put more wood in.

I put on a couple small 2-3" splits on top of the coals, open up the air to about 50% and burn the coals down.

Same here. It's about all you can do when the temps get really low. I eventually get ash build-up that has to be removed, but I'd rather remove it than coals if I can help it.

Definitely viable . With a second stove in basement. It's finished but I poked around and thankfully previous owner didn't insulate between floor joists. Be a nice spot for a full exposed free standing unit. Our issue is we have an a-frame with a 20 ft peak directly above our nc30 which sticks out 1/2 way onto hearth in fireplace opening. It is A lot of volume to heat up that's for sure. I actually plan to heat full time from basement once I get something installed. Our upstairs 30 will be for the extra kick or ambience every now and then. Ceiling fan does help but we are replacing it with a 70" model to help move more air. Current 54" doesn't cut it . The nc30 does a helluva job maintaining 67-68 degrees for heating a 1700 sq ft completely open cathedral ceiling home with the stove not fully exposed as it should be. Also below zero now and wind is really moving outside

Plus one on the quick burning firewoods to bring down a bed of coals.

One of the reasons why it's a good a idea to let a stove go through it's burning cycle as much as possible during a reload in the cold temps we've had.

22F today felt like a heat wave :mad:

Does your fire place have a insulated block off plate? My buddy didn't have one and would experience a mountain of coals, due to some of the heat being robbed and going up the flue, we put a plate in and insulated it and his heavy coal problem disappeared

Yeah I put a block off plate up and stuffed roxul. Just loaded up a bubunch of small splits. It's brutal out there. I also can't eat for a basement stove for the fact I can load up about 2.5-3 cord in the unfinished part and refuEl with some heat! I have high hopes for the basement stove as our primary heater. Walls are 1/2" foam board and drywall so should help . Rather than have our heat go straight to the peak In our living room maybe the basement wI'll slow that heat rise down

Nice, hang in there and good luck! would you do another Nc30 down there? I have a blaze king in my basement but I have future plans on doing a large addition to the house and there's just something about the Nc30 I like, my best friend has one and man, its a sweet stove.

I think the nc30 is an animal for sure... if we had normal height ceilings this thing would sweat us out for sure. It's just a lot of volume when u get below zero or single digits with high wins it's tough on her. 10 degrees plus with calm winds it does 72-74 degrees. Next year's basement stove is between another nc30 the drolet ht2000 , bk princess and a woodstock ideal steel . Big price differences there but I like what I have read about ideal steel . Seems it holds 500+ degrees for a long long time. The nc30 always cruises at 675-700 and rips out heat for sure just not as long. I can load it at 10 pm and wake up around 7 with coals to relight tho

How does your blaze king in the basement do? Is it a princess?insulated walls? Split level? Walk out basement ? 21 questions :)

The nice thing with the princess it the ability to literally adjust the heat output, lower heat = longer burn times, higher heat = shorter burn times, The BK's are known for dirty glass because they smolder there loads when on low/ medium setting, I've had mine on medium high this week and have had spot clean glass with a good flame show, I just think having two BK's in the house (on different levels) would be ridicules, If I do the additions I'm going to have the NC30 upstairs and that will be my back up stove, the BK will be in the basement and since burning this stove it should carry the house easily until the temps get in the low 20's.

I hear from the basement with my 30. It works ok but not ideal. My house is a small ranch with finished walk out basement, 1700 sqft. If we were going to live in the house longer I would put a stove on the main lvl as well.

Nice! Sounds like we are on the same just swap floor levels. What'syour insulation like In basement? Is it a walk out?

It's walkout and I love that aspect. Feeding the stove is super easy with no steps involved. When we moved in it was bare cement block walls. After one winter of that enough already. I went the cheap route framed with 2x2 and used 1.5in foam sheet insulation. Not much but the difference has been huge. Amazing what some insulation can do for keeping your heat inside.

He'll mines just 1/2" plain old white foam board hope it helps my stove will he dead center under under house it should work great.also 10 feet from open stair case to main level

Might not work for you, but what I do is rake the coals out evenly and open the air up. About 20 mins later I rake the coals again. The next time I tend it I rake and leave the door open. I repeat raking until the coals are manageable enough for a reload. The top isn't 700, but there is a LOT of heat coming out of the door. Takes about an hour or so, but it's the best way I know of without adding more coals from small splits.
If you could open the air in the middle of the night it might help too.

I'm in the same situation of needing 600+ temps to keep the house warm. Mostly I just carry out a lot of coals. One thing that helps is to load n/s and pull the splits forward as far as is safe. Also setting the air as low as possible while still maintaining temp seems to burn up the coals better. I can't ever go below halfway on the air without killing the fire though, so I'm not sure my setup is up to par yet.

You're coals are due to constant loading of splits in attempt to keep the temp up. You will have to learn patience and let the stove burn in complete cycles, which includes temp drop as the final stage of coals burns down. There is no remedy for mass coals when trying to keep a constant temp in that stove by continuing to load splits on top of an incomplete burn cycle. None.
Let it burn down through the complete cycle, and you will see this issue go away.

You're coals are due to constant loading of splits in attempt to keep the temp up. You will have to learn patience and let the stove burn in complete cycles, which includes temp drop as the final stage of coals burns down. There is no remedy for mass coals when trying to keep a constant temp in that stove by continuing to load splits on top of an incomplete burn cycle. None.
Let it burn down through the complete cycle, and you will see this issue go away.

While I agree with you 100%, for the people that rely on the wood stove as their only heat source, this may not be an option. Small, low density splits on top of the coals, or actually removing the coals are the only real options to continue the process of immediately reaching those high temps. Luckily this sort of weather doesn't stick around for very long, at least I'm hoping..

Last edited:
While I agree with you 100%, for the people that rely on the wood stove as their only heat source, this may not be an option. Small, low density splits on top of the coals, or actually removing the coals are the only real options to contine the process of reaching those high temps. Luckily this sort of weather doesn't stick around for very long, at least I'm hoping..

Not true.

Both stoves are my only heat source.

Seasoned firewood, good burning practices, and the experience that come with that will teach you that it's best to let it cycle.

That being said, I had to use pine / kindling to burn down a coal bed before reload during this cold snap more than once. Mostly due to coming home to a to cool house, and over compensating with the first night time reload to pump heat through the house before the over night load.

Worked like a charm ;)

Reactions: Ashful and bsruther
If that is the case, it is more realistic to burn softer woods that leave less coals. He may have to reload full loads more than with hard wood, but would actually be less work than adding a split or two every hour or two.
I love Oak, Hickory, hardwoods etc, but when I need a quick, hot fire, but don't want a ton of coals when time for full load, I go to pine & poplar. A few large splits of soft wood, can last a decent amount of time.
Our western burning brethren are doing it 24/7 with excellent results.
This is why I turn down no wood species. Each has a place and time for burning. And as much as we all love the hard stuff, some may benefit better from soft, minimal coaling wood species.
I know we are in these temps for the next week or so here, so I will be mixing my wood up as need requires.
I needed 3 hrs worth of burn when I got home off the road today, to last me till midnight until a full reload. I loaded 3 semi large splits of poplar, temp up fairly quick in the house, yet when I go for full reload in a couple more hours, it will be ready for it, just enough coals, and stove temp ready and waiting.
I still feel it takes several seasons to really know the stove, the wood, and when & what to do. Honing skills year after year makes wood burning easier and even more economical as each season we learn something new, or adjust with better results.

Last edited:
Agree more seasons will help the learning process. A few small splits were the ticket. Instantly got stove up over 650 lowered the coal bed by 1/2 held house at 67. Had to empty some but not to bad. Gave it a full load and left for work. Now I get to spend all night out in this cap working on Choo choos. Wife gets off at 3 am so we're in a decent routine at feeding the 30 during these temps

I stir the coals up good with the poker and leave the door cracked open. Gets those coals glowing hot which puts off a decent bit of heat while i wait for the coals to burn down to a manageable level for the reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.