• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twilson1875

May 26, 2020
Maine
I just purchased a new home and am interested in getting a pellet stove. The previous owners had a pellet stove, so we have the vents/intake needed. Here's where I ran into a problem. So, I am interested in getting a Harman stove, as that's the type stove I had growing up. It's been going strong for over 15 years, and I know Harman is known for its great build quality. I am specifically interested in the P43 model. However, when the local pellet stove shop owner came by, it became clear that the existing thimble is too low for the Harman stove. The owner said in order to install the P43, we would need a new thimble installed higher than the one we have. Alternatively, we could get a cheaper stove from a store like Home Depot that would most likely fit the existing thimble. I'm now wondering if it's worth it to drill a new hole in the house and spend the money for installation, or if it makes sense to just get a different stove that would fit. Any input is appreciated!

Will the stove be sitting on a hearth and if so
How high is the hearth?
What is the difference in your thimble to the stove outlet?
Can you replace or build a lower hearth to accommodate the difference?
I hope this makes sense.

I would install the higher hole or better yet is go all vertical.

I agree on a higher hole. I always go 3 feet up inside the house and then go straight outside. This is the best installation for not only safety but easier to clean and maintain and it lasts longer. You should have at least 3 feet vertical rise so in a ppower failure there is some natural draft to exhaust the smoke safely. If the pipe goes up the outside of the house then the cold air condenses the smoke and the ash precipitates out more readily so more cleaning is required. Having the pipe inside out of the weather makes it last longer and you do not have to trudge out into a snowstorm to clean a dirty pipe. Most of it can be cleaned quite easily from the inside with the flexible firberglass poles and venting brush. I like the 4” diameter venting because there is much less pressure on the seams so it does not leak smoke very easily and again more time between cleanings. Also the 4” Selkirk DT not only requires one hole for the fresh air and the exhaust but with the vacuum cleanout even easier to keep clean and because it warms and dries out the incoming burn air keeps the stove itself cleaner and the ash is fluffier. Just my 2 cents. Let us know how it works out.
p.s. what ever you do to get a Harman in there is well worth it!