Need some guidance on stove pipe for Englander NC30 in Pole Barn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HarleyRCK07

Nov 13, 2017
North Central Indiana
Hi Everyone:

I've been reading posts on the forum for quite some time as for guidance on stoves, stove pipe, installations, etc. and have learned a lot. I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger and get an Englander NC30 at Home Depot. The builder that put up my pole barn has installed a Class A chimney and ceiling support box with proper boot etc. for the building. He burns wood in his structure and said single wall stove pipe would be fine as there are no clearance issues where the stove will be placed. The stove will be in the corner and clearances exceed 18 inches at all points. The rough measurement I have gotten from inside the ceiling adapter to where the top of the stove will be is 11.5 feet. I noticed in the Englander literature they recommend the use of double wall if the measurement is greater that 10 feet. Could I use single wall in a pole barn application or would this not be safe? Thanks for the help.

I use 10’ of vertical single wall for the nc30 in my pole barn. 9’ of class a above that. Works great but single wall has some drawbacks. It’s leakier at joints, made of mild steel so has a shorter life, and cools the flue gasses which hurts draft.

Exactly what he said. Single wall will work ok but double wall would be better

dont forget youll gain some extra heat from single wall too as it will give off more on way to ceiling so thats a nice advantage in the pole barn, im running a barrel stove kit in my pole barn works pretty good. im gonna put a blaze king in it when i seal it up better and insulate it. right now i need thin walled barrel so i get maximum heat

dont forget youll gain some extra heat from single wall too as it will give off more on way to ceiling so thats a nice advantage in the pole barn, im running a barrel stove kit in my pole barn works pretty good. im gonna put a blaze king in it when i seal it up better and insulate it. right now i need thin walled barrel so i get maximum heat
The problem is with a modern stove run correctly you dont want to give up heat from the pipe. With your barrel stove you are sending so much heat up the stack it doesnt matter. But if you get a bk you wont have that heat to loose.

you got a good point there, maybe i should yank it out and try my blaze king out in there

you got a good point there, maybe i should yank it out and try my blaze king out in there
Honestly unless you will be keeping the pole barn heated all the time i dont think a bk makes sense.

ya thats what i think also. i just want to have my quick heat with the barrel while im working then get outa there in a few hours

ya thats what i think also. i just want to have my quick heat with the barrel while im working then get outa there in a few hours
Well i would never consider using a barrel stove in any structure i own but i just put a fisher poppa bear in my shop because of the quick heat they offer. I wouldnt consider a bk for that space. It would be a waste.

ya once its insulated and tightened up the king will be good

Hi Everyone:

I've been reading posts on the forum for quite some time as for guidance on stoves, stove pipe, installations, etc. and have learned a lot. I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger and get an Englander NC30 at Home Depot. The builder that put up my pole barn has installed a Class A chimney and ceiling support box with proper boot etc. for the building. He burns wood in his structure and said single wall stove pipe would be fine as there are no clearance issues where the stove will be placed. The stove will be in the corner and clearances exceed 18 inches at all points. The rough measurement I have gotten from inside the ceiling adapter to where the top of the stove will be is 11.5 feet. I noticed in the Englander literature they recommend the use of double wall if the measurement is greater that 10 feet. Could I use single wall in a pole barn application or would this not be safe? Thanks for the help.

Have another question. The ceiling box adapter was purchased at Menard's by the barn builder when doing the install of chimney, etc.. When purchasing the stove pipe whether I'm using single wall or double wall; does it have to be the same manufacturer? Thanks

Double wall would give better draft ,so if you wind up with weak draft that may cure it.