Needing a crew for the Ice storm Who's in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes nothing says sports powerhouse like a white rabbit pulling itself out of a hat.

Jay, I'm worried about you. You posted earlier that you have 20 gallons of fuel. That's like a tank full in the 880. what will you do for the genset and the other saws?

LoL. I think we are missing out on the ice and just gonna get some snow (something like 16-23 inches when it's all done)

i'll believe it when I see it all on the ground.

Forecast is about the same here as for Danno. I'm skeptical we'll see the 20+" as well. Even that amount would be dodging the bullet compared to an inch of ice with that kind of wind! I'll gladly shovel 2' of the white stuff if it means no ice.
Checked the nearshore Marine Forecast for just for kicks. Don't think I'll venture out on L. Michigan tonight=
"NORTHEAST GALES TO 45 KT INCREASING TO STORM FORCE WINDS TO 50 KT. FREEZING SPRAY. SNOW. WAVES BUILDING TO 14 TO 18 FT."
The waves & spray are a potential problem for Chicago especially, since that side of the lake rarely gets the big winter surf. Wouldn't want to see Lakeshore Drive in 2" per hour snow, 55mph wind & heavy freezing spray. :gulp:

Danno77 said:
Jay, I'm worried about you. You posted earlier that you have 20 gallons of fuel. That's like a tank full in the 880. what will you do for the genset and the other saws?

LoL. I think we are missing out on the ice and just gonna get some snow (something like 16-23 inches when it's all done)

I just use a hatch on my truck the ice on the hood and windshield was 5-6 inchs thick...Dont try this a t home..lol The 880 is full so I have a chance. Drove around town and the stage is set for some very major damage. Round 2 starts at 1pm.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

I just use a hatch on my truck the ice on the hood and windshield was 5-6 inchs thick...Dont try this a t home..lol The 880 is full so I have a chance. Drove around town and the stage is set for some very major damage. Round 2 starts at 1pm.
you're crazy. let the truck warm up and it'll get a thin sheet of melted ice right on the windshield, but under the ice. when we've had heavy ice and i did that i was able to just about push the entire chunk off of the windshield all at once

i'm picturing you standing on the cab of your truck with a maul trying to bust the ice off.

Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

you're crazy. let the truck warm up and it'll get a thin sheet of melted ice right on the windshield, but under the ice. when we've had heavy ice and i did that i was able to just about push the entire chunk off of the windshield all at once

i'm picturing you standing on the cab of your truck with a maul trying to bust the ice off.

Yeah right the truck was running for 1-1/2 hours that ice wasnt going anywhere.....

Smokin do you have any cardboard you can put over your windshield.

Zap

Just starting snowing up this way, Wednesday is the day we're suppose to get whacked with snow.

Zap

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Yeah right the truck was running for 1-1/2 hours that ice wasnt going anywhere.....

That little S-10 can't make enough heat to melt it! lol. Waste of gas anyway. +1 on chunk of cardboard under the windsheild wipers. Catch them mid sweep so it won't blow away... Otherwise next round you'll need the sledge & wedges!

Took a ride on the quad a little bit ago...a lot of trees sagging into the road. Neighbors have some small branches down. Top broke out of a large willow tree. Round 2 begins now.

lukem said:
Took a ride on the quad a little bit ago...a lot of trees sagging into the road. Neighbors have some small branches down. Top broke out of a large willow tree. Round 2 begins now.

Same here!

no ice here, just white-out conditions.

Thanks for the link Zap. I'll use the droid to check and see whats going on when we fall of the grid later tonight.

lukem said:
Thanks for the link Zap. I'll use the droid to check and see whats going on when we fall of the grid later tonight.

lol +1 gen-set already fired and let it warm up! Its drizzling here now on top of all the ice we already got.

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

lol +1 gen-set already fired and let it warm up! Its drizzling here now on top of all the ice we already got.

I have to fire our generator up tonight just in case that wet heavy snow brings down some trees on the power lines. This is the link to our area for power outages.

http://www1.nationalgridus.com/niagaramohawk/stormcenter/

Zap

Power just went out here for 10min's .....

Smokin, it looks lie the next 6 hours your getting hit hard with ice.

Zap

zapny said:
Smokin, it looks lie the next 6 hours your getting hit hard with ice.

Zap

Yep and the winds are over 25.. Going to be 35-40 mph thursday! Lights are flickering alot now....No way will we have power much longer. Just got a bunch of hickory milling scraps in and getting ready....All power from the Gen-set will be running the wood furnace and should be able to run lab top and tv.

40MPH NW gusts since mid morning & getting worse,can barely see 50 ft in front of you.I was out for about an hour,thats enough for me today unless someone calls needing picked up or taken somewhere.

Thistle said:
40MPH NW gusts since mid morning & getting worse,can barely see 50 ft in front of you.I was out for about an hour,thats enough for me today unless someone calls needing picked up or taken somewhere.

Thats where where headed but completly cover in ice and another 1-1/2 of ice tonight. Power lines will never hold up.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Thats where where headed but completly cover in ice and another 1-1/2 of ice tonight. Power lines will never hold up.

Will they hold this?

Zap

Attachments

• powerlines-010710-439x300.jpg
    powerlines-010710-439x300.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 363
We had an ice-outage for 6 days in '08. They're forecasting wind to follow the ice out there. You guys will be outside just like I was back then. There's going to be danger all around. Even though you experienced guys already know this, here's just another reminder - please stay extra alert.

Wind is picking up here too. Sleet coming down hard. Still on the grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.