Needing a crew for the Ice storm Who's in?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
40MPH NW gusts since mid morning & getting worse,can barely see 50 ft in front of you.I was out for about an hour,thats enough for me today unless someone calls needing picked up or taken somewhere.

Thats where where headed but completly cover in ice and another 1-1/2 of ice tonight. Power lines will never hold up.

Will they hold this?

Zap

lol NO!

lukem said:
Wind is picking up here too. Sleet coming down hard. Still on the grid.

Me too I heard the Natual Gaurd calling for anyone with chainsaw's! Think they would dump here? lol

Just put my sign back up for saw sharpening.....

I bought the 361 in and put it in the basement where it's warm so I can count on it starting. Just mixed a gallon...already sharp.

I'm just glad none of the tree in my yard can hit my house...or are too small to do any damage other than cosmetic. I'll just have to help the neighbors clean up and/or cut my way to the main road.

When I was grabbing the saw from the shop I heard all sorts of interesting groaning/creaking/cracking sounds coming from the trees.

HOLD ON TIGHT BOYS!!!!! GONNA BE A BIGGUN!!!!

Starting to rain here 25* and freezing when it touches.Were right on the edge of the ice-rain line.

JeffT said:
Starting to rain here 25* and freezing when it touches.Were right on the edge of the ice-rain line.

17 here a winter mix.

I'm in Muncie- Not looking good out there- sitting here waiting for limbs to start falling. Thanks to my stupid A$$ neighbors that wouldn't let the power line co trim the trees last summer I'm sure I'll be without power soon

In january 1998 as part of the hydro (power) crew we were dispacted to help our neirbouring counties. there was temperatures around 30 - 33 for a 36 hour period and we had up to 2 inches of ice built up on the hydro lines. there were farmers with tractors pulling the downed lines out of the ice. we couldn t hardly walk everything was so ice crusted. it took us 22 days of 16 hour days to get the last customer on. The ice had brought down trees and limbs everywhere. the actual wood cleanup took months. I hope you folks in the south don t ever experience that sort of an outage. Folks with woodstoves opened their homes to the ones without. Although we were well cared for by the locals of that county it was a pile of work. Be careful in your travels and remember the wood will be there after the storm as well!

HardWoodW said:
I'm in Muncie- Not looking good out there- sitting here waiting for limbs to start falling. Thanks to my stupid A$$ neighbors that wouldn't let the power line co trim the trees last summer I'm sure I'll be without power soon
muncie what part?

Waiting for the ice to start here. Empty pick up bed and saws are gassed and sharp!

MMaul said:
HardWoodW said:
muncie what part?

Gatewood

were practically neighbors. I live on the other side of the hospital just to the south of bsu.

MMaul said:
were practically neighbors. I live on the other side of the hospital just to the south of bsu.

hey that's great- well probably after this we'll all have more wood than we know what to do with but if something goes down in my yard or hood I'll send you a pm if you want some. I'll be out saturday cutting if this thing is as bad as they're saying.

you need a hand let me know. If interested I know were we can get alot if you need some more. Going out a week from this sun, probably 15 cords. Let me if interested. Less then 20 min. From us.

MMaul said:
you need a hand let me know. If interested I know were we can get alot if you need some more. Going out a week from this sun, probably 15 cords. Let me if interested. Less then 20 min. From us.

Locust and hedge.......................

yep locust and hedge all you can haul.

good deal-we'll see what happens with this thing

Holy chit....app 2 was a nitemare. 2 inches plus....all ice. Had to break out the tractors. Needed downpressure.
Bought another ton of ice melt....1st ones gone.got the last available 1 in county. 3 hrs sleeping,and I'llbe back out. Burnt 25 gal. Gas an 18 diesel.

[quote author="Bocefus78" date="1296623371"]Holy chit....app 2 was a nitemare. 2 inches plus....all ice. Had to break out the tractors. Needed downpressure.
Bought another ton of ice melt....1st ones gone.got the last available 1 in county. 3 hrs sleeping,and I'llbe back out. Burnt 25 gal. Gas an 18 diesel.[/quote

SAME Here still got electric though!

all the hedge and locust i want....does anyone know how many cords airlines allow? i bet you some charge you extra for each one thats over 128cu.ft.

i could see the security check. sir your not allowed to carry that on.
Why? I really dont want to check it, everytime i do your guys beat it and break it up into kindling.

Stump_Branch said:
all the hedge and locust i want....does anyone know how many cords airlines allow? i bet you some charge you extra for each one thats over 128cu.ft.

i could see the security check. sir your not allowed to carry that on.
Why? I really dont want to check it, everytime i do your guys beat it and break it up into kindling.

Hedge and locust its worth it! lol

i will have to start planning my explinations on why i have splits taped to my body...

No posts from the Indiana boys in almost 4 hours. Looks like the ice finally got them!

Still on the grid here. Roads are treacherous. And that's putting it lightly.

smokinjay said:
Hedge and locust its worth it! lol

Dang, I might need to make the trip to give that hedge a try. Would definitely have to find a trailer to make it worth the trip, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.