New hearthstone line. Green mountain cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O Never Done

Mar 21, 2018
Upstate NY
861F0B2C-08CB-4C42-8E66-B25BFF5194DA.png
See pic I guess the soapstone is inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why you'd intentionally sabotage a perfectly good wood stove by putting soapstone in (or on) it, but to each their own.... that stove looks like it's made of steel, which is is a vastly better thermal conductor.

Reactions: webby3650
Not all of the hearthstone stoves are made of stone. It sure is a pretty material when it’s all polished up.

I'm not sure why you'd intentionally sabotage a perfectly good wood stove by putting soapstone in (or on) it, but to each their own.... that stove looks like it's made of steel, which is is a vastly better thermal conductor.
Several companies offer soapstone inside or on a steel or cast stove including Hearthstone, Woodstock, PE, etc. It can be good for heat absorption and slow release where an intensely radiant stove is not required.

Last edited:
It’s a cast iron stove with no ashpan. It also is designed with an inherent flaw. The 2 steel cats are positioned vertically directly below the flue collar. These will constantly be plugging with ash! Not a good move..

That's too bad, at 1.3 cu ft this could be a nice little cabin and small area heater.

No kiddin..
I asked a Hearthstone tech how much a set of cats will be, he said the price hasn’t been made available yet.
Maybe hearthstone is getting into the cat manufacturing business....or making a deal with a specific player. Wouldn't be surprised if its proprietary.

Catalyst Model Number: ACI-6M2 Catalyst Manufacturer: APPLIED CERAMICS
APPLIED CERAMICS warrants to the consumer who purchases a FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR as a component in an EPA certified solid fuel appliance, to replace at no charge to the consumer the FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR that ceases to function with two (2) years from the date of purchase by the original consumer, provided that the following conditions are met: (1) A copy of the original bill of sale that includes place and date of purchase must be submitted with the warranty claim. (2) The original FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR must be returned to APPLIED CERAMICS (3) The FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR must not have been mechanically abused, nor must the wrong fuels have been used in the appliance. If after two years the FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR fails to function, the prorated warranty will allow replacement at the following special price schedule: Year 3 $130.00 Year 4 $140.00 Year 5 $150.00 Year 6 $160.00 Year 7 and after at current retail price

It’s a cast iron stove with no ashpan. It also is designed with an inherent flaw. The 2 steel cats are positioned vertically directly below the flue collar. These will constantly be plugging with ash! Not a good move..
When you say vertical do you mean flat like an IS or upright like a bk? Right below the flue collar!

Just reminds me of the cheesy cats added back at the beginning of epa regs as a bandaid.

When you say vertical do you mean flat like an IS or upright like a bk? Right below the flue collar!

Just reminds me of the cheesy cats added back at the beginning of epa regs as a bandaid.
With the cells vertical.

Reactions: Highbeam
Right below the flue collar, as in the cat exhausts directly into the flue?? That really defeats the point of having a cat.

Depends on what the point is. For this design, I suspect it was to pass an emissions test.

Very little value placed on efficiency, durability, etc. just like 1990.

Very little value placed on efficiency, durability, etc. just like 1990.
Lots of judgement on a stove not tried yet. Efficiency is the same as the BK Ashford 20.1 and Ashford 20.2 @77%. Looks like this is a hybrid design for secondary combustion under the baffle prior to the cat.

Reactions: Highbeam
Catalyst Model Number: ACI-6M2 Catalyst Manufacturer: APPLIED CERAMICS
APPLIED CERAMICS warrants to the consumer who purchases a FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR as a component in an EPA certified solid fuel appliance, to replace at no charge to the consumer the FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR that ceases to function with two (2) years from the date of purchase by the original consumer, provided that the following conditions are met: (1) A copy of the original bill of sale that includes place and date of purchase must be submitted with the warranty claim. (2) The original FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR must be returned to APPLIED CERAMICS (3) The FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR must not have been mechanically abused, nor must the wrong fuels have been used in the appliance. If after two years the FIRECAT STEEL COMBUSTOR fails to function, the prorated warranty will allow replacement at the following special price schedule: Year 3 $130.00 Year 4 $140.00 Year 5 $150.00 Year 6 $160.00 Year 7 and after at current retail price
Two year warranty? Your better off with a Blaze King if you want a cat stove.

Lots of judgement on a stove not tried yet. Efficiency is the same as the BK Ashford 20.1 and Ashford 20.2 @77%. Looks like this is a hybrid design for secondary combustion under the baffle prior to the cat.
I saw it burning and looked over a display really closely. The cat is going to be an issue. It won’t fall apart, since it’s steel. It will constantly be clogging for a certainty. Like other hybrids, the cat is just being used as a scrubber to meet emissions.

Soapstone is an incredible way to make a stove more efficient.

It would not really make sense in a catalyst stove IMO, but it is another method to burn less wood as it has excellent heat retention properties. I use Soapstone in two ways.

1. I run a Meals on Wheels program. In the morning we put 6X2X6 inch soapstone bricks in the ovens as we are cooking. We put two bricks in each bag then cover them to prevent deliverers from burning themselves. The stones keep the meals to temp for over 2 hours. Still are too hot to take out of bag without a hot pad at 1 pm when we remove them.

2. I lined my gas fireplace with soapstone internally (Direct vent insert style 77+% efficiency). Before the soapstone slabs in the firebrick tray when the thermostat reached 2 degrees over the maintain temp it would cut off and then of course temp would begin falling as the heater would begin cooling immediately. With the soapstone addition it will continue to climb an additional 1 to 2 degrees, and the blower will continue putting out hot air for a much longer time. Also the heater is usually not completely cool (because of the heat retention of the soapstone) when it needs to come on again which means less gas. Tougher winter this year yet my gas bills have remained cheaper in the north wing of the house because of the soapstone.

Soapstone is an incredible way to make a stove more efficient.

It would not really make sense in a catalyst stove IMO, but it is another method to burn less wood as it has excellent heat retention properties. I use Soapstone in two ways.

1. I run a Meals on Wheels program. In the morning we put 6X2X6 inch soapstone bricks in the ovens as we are cooking. We put two bricks in each bag then cover them to prevent deliverers from burning themselves. The stones keep the meals to temp for over 2 hours. Still are too hot to take out of bag without a hot pad at 1 pm when we remove them.

2. I lined my gas fireplace with soapstone internally (Direct vent insert style 77+% efficiency). Before the soapstone slabs in the firebrick tray when the thermostat reached 2 degrees over the maintain temp it would cut off and then of course temp would begin falling as the heater would begin cooling immediately. With the soapstone addition it will continue to climb an additional 1 to 2 degrees, and the blower will continue putting out hot air for a much longer time. Also the heater is usually not completely cool (because of the heat retention of the soapstone) when it needs to come on again which means less gas. Tougher winter this year yet my gas bills have remained cheaper in the north wing of the house because of the soapstone.
That’s pretty risky messing with a gas unit that way.
Did you actually put it inside of a direct vent unit?

Soapstone does have great heat retention values, it’s an incredible insulator. That’s why I don’t want it in my wood stove, I want the stove to release heat into the room, not store it inside the stove, in turn sending it up the flue..